Lab work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pakbabydoll

Average student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so starting Jan, I will be working in my school's biology lab. I'll be like a TA/Lab assistant.
* Will I be able to put that down as an EC? I am getting paid.
* Would that help me get in some research projects once I transfer to a university?
* Should I get LOR's from the professors I'll be working with?

Members don't see this ad.

ok, so starting Jan, I will be working in my school's biology lab. I'll be like a TA/Lab assistant.
* Will I be able to put that down as an EC? I am getting paid.
* Would that help me get in some research projects once I transfer to a university?
* Should I get LOR's from the professors I'll be working with?

You could list this as an EC- there are different categories, like work experience that it might fit into. That's what I did with my TAing.

Having basic lab skills is helpful if you join a lab; professors whose lab you might join will likely not expect you to have advanced laboratory skills. I've worked with a number of undergraduates as a graduate student research mentor and none of them had any lab experience, other than the one lab they'd taken.

Re: LOR's. I wouldn't do this just to get the LOR. I'd say that they might be a good person for you to get one from if you get to know them well while you're TAing for them (this may or may not happen, depending on the prof). Otherwise, a prof who knows you better might be a better bet.