Laboratory Animal Medicine, Anyone have any experience in this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtakuVet

MU c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Here is the scoop, Ive always wanted to be a scientist and Ive wanted to be a veterinarian since I was about 14 years old. Well Ive been in a lab for about 5 months and I love every minute of it. Ive now applied to become an animal caretaker of laboratory animals. My question is, I noticed that there is a shortage of lab animal veterinarians, would you consider a field such as this if you were interested in research?
Do any of you know any lab animal veterinarians, how do they feel about it?
Sorry for the many questions but Im just wondering if this may be another door to turn to.

Members don't see this ad.

There are plenty of other people on this forum interested in lab animal medicine, including a resident. I'm sure they can answer any questions you have on the matter!

I'm just posting so I can say, "Kirara! Squeeee!"

That's all. :)

I'm pretty much the same boat as you - Always wanted to do both (Vet and Scientist) - Well, I've had a taste of 'real' science, and well, its still in my mouth. Now I am moving into veterinary - and am planning on Lab Animal/research.

Can't offer you any advice... yet, but it def. does seem like an amazing field.

In the end, I think its silly to say right now that I am going to be a Lab Animal vet, seeing as a haven't even started vet school, but it is certainly my intention/goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,
Here is the scoop, Ive always wanted to be a scientist and Ive wanted to be a veterinarian since I was about 14 years old. Well Ive been in a lab for about 5 months and I love every minute of it. Ive now applied to become an animal caretaker of laboratory animals. My question is, I noticed that there is a shortage of lab animal veterinarians, would you consider a field such as this if you were interested in research?
Do any of you know any lab animal veterinarians, how do they feel about it?
Sorry for the many questions but Im just wondering if this may be another door to turn to.

I worked for UCSD's Animal Care Program for a little over a year. We were responsible for caring for animals that were being used for research (research in human medicine). The veterinarians in this program weren't doing their own reseach projects, but assisted PI's in their research. For example, doing surgies, caring for animals, establishing protocols and procedures for the care/use of lab animals. From what I've been told "veterinary research" in a lab setting is really hard to find in California (of the UC's I believe only Davis does it). The use of animals for human research is much more prevalent and the vet's made a LOT more than vets from SA clinics. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions!

Reactions: 1 user
I worked for UCSD's Animal Care Program for a little over a year. We were responsible for caring for animals that were being used for research (research in human medicine). The veterinarians in this program weren't doing their own reseach projects, but assisted PI's in their research. For example, doing surgies, caring for animals, establishing protocols and procedures for the care/use of lab animals. From what I've been told "veterinary research" in a lab setting is really hard to find in California (of the UC's I believe only Davis does it). The use of animals for human research is much more prevalent and the vet's made a LOT more than vets from SA clinics. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions!

I am the resident. There are plenty of lab animal vets which do their own research. There is more than one type of lab animal vet. You can be a primary researcher, a clinical vet, a director, etc.

http://www.aslap.org/career.php
Start reading about it.

Last edited:
Chris. You are awesome. =D Thanks!

There is definitely a demand for lab animal vets. I don't know a lot about it other than what I've seen. Every week or 2 our lab animal vet comes to the small animal colony and inspects the animals. Presumably she does this at the colonies across campus, but I don't actually know if that's what her day primarily consists of. If you really like research and you want to work with animals, I'm just throwing out there that you could pursue a PhD instead. You will (in the research) setting still be able to work with animals on a daily basis (including being able to do surgeries/etc). The reason I throw this out is because the lab setting is appealing for you, you can earn a PhD and finish without owing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Our department (animal biology) is really good at providing funding to graduate students (including TAships and fellowships). You won't be rolling in dough, but you will not be in the red. The other option is to do a DVM/PhD where some schools offer a stipend/loan forgiveness (not sure if this is the right term). It would be worth investigating. Good luck!

How does one go about finding a job/shadowing a vet in a laboratory animal setting? Most of the sites I've been on want graduates or vet students.

How does one go about finding a job/shadowing a vet in a laboratory animal setting? Most of the sites I've been on want graduates or vet students.

Contact the department anyway, veterinarian if you can, and just ask. However, keep in mind that volunteering/shadowing at a lab animal facility will require a ton of paperwork/required immunizations...etc. It takes a great deal of time and resources from the university and the dept.....so be prepared to volunteer a significant amount of time - think 3-5 day's a week for at least 4hrs/day vs. 1 or 2 days for 2 hrs/day. Seriously, don't waste veterinarian time if you can't commit a significant amount of volunteer hours. The vet I work with receives a ton of emails from interested applicants, and some can't commit the time while others come off really really excited and then do not follow up with emails, never to be hear from again. It's frustrating...ok sorry for the rant, just my two cents :oops:

Well, between work and school, I couldn't commit to volunteering 4 hours/day, 4-5 times a week--and who can, really? Unless you're independently wealthy? I just don't understand how people can survive without working. My rant: it just really irritates me when so many organizations require ridiculous *unpaid* hours, and those of us that actually have to work are left out.

BTW, I'm in Philly, too! :D

I am interested in lab animal med after working for a year in different labs in the area. You might see if there's a lab animal vet who works with your school that you could contact? I'm not quite sure how shadowing would work - I was working full time and got the experience that way.

Hey Aprilm, I understand the frustration... I worked two jobs while in my masters program so I know the need to make money...most people that opt to shadow and can give sig time, are in specialized programs that allow for sig volunteer/shadow time or in terms of my program: an externship, in which case you can take out student loans. I'd highly suggest working for a research lab, as a tech, and see if you can get in the univ that route. You'll get paid and can be in close contact w/ the univ vets.

BTW, you working or going to school in Philly?

Well, between work and school, I couldn't commit to volunteering 4 hours/day, 4-5 times a week--and who can, really? Unless you're independently wealthy? I just don't understand how people can survive without working. My rant: it just really irritates me when so many organizations require ridiculous *unpaid* hours, and those of us that actually have to work are left out.

BTW, I'm in Philly, too! :D

I understand the frustration from both sides; as a volunteer and as a volunteer coordinator. It really does COST a lot in terms of resources to have volunteers, so at some point there needs to be a balance in the service generated with the cost of staff supervision, liability coverage, etc. When I dealt with volunteers, they had to volunteer frequently enough that our exotic, trained, hand on collection would work well with them and they knew the animal's current demo's, skill sets, cues, stress signs, etc. Unfortunatly, that takes time, both from the volunteer and from staff to train and oversee the volunteer. So, the cost to my department for every volunteer hour was $7 in terms of staff cost and liability. The cost in additional equipment, training, guides, etc ratcheted that up to $10/hr....and if an animal was injured, developed illness, or was lost (it happens) the cost could skyrocket to over $100/hr.

Every place, non profit, government, and business, has to be able to balance the costs and benefits. As for surviving without working, I ended up working night shifts and weekends to afford college and to be able to volunteer and do internships. I understand your frustration, but volunteer training is often not part of the mission statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, you working or going to school in Philly?

Both! I actually just moved here, and I'm going to a community college to save $$$, then transferring to Temple. I'm going to avoid UPenn like the plague. There's no way I can justify $32k/year in tuition when I can move to somewhere else and pay half or a third of that. Thanks for the advice!

Sumstorm, I completely understand that it can cost money to hire volunteers in some cases--but in others, especially in veterinary clinics, when I hear of people that are basically working without pay, doing things such as drawing blood, trimming nails, etc., it kind of urks me. It seems like some clinics take advantage of people that are really eager to learn. I started working at a vet clinic with basically NO experience, but they still paid me, and WOW did I learn a lot--to the point that they put me in a new clinic as the sole receptionist/assistant/technician (okay, maybe I'm just bragging now :D). Really, though, if someone is doing stuff that helps a clinic make cash, they should be paid. I dunno. I guess that's unrelated to my previous rant, heh. :oops:

I am actually suprised that any for profit clinic would allow a volunteer to actually do procedures, just becaues I am not sure PLIM would cover it. I know for the government/non profit places I worked we had to list every single volunteer for liability purposes, and have proof of tracking, supervision, etc. I probably spent at least 10 hours a week to monitor volunteer paperwork! Drove me nuts.

Bumping up this dead thread. Stumbled upon this: http://vet.tufts.edu/education/comb...s-in-lab-animal-medicine-2/admissions-dvmlam/, and was curious if anyone knew about it or had any opinions. So my understanding is that it just prepares you for non-board certified lab animalish work straight out of graduation. IMHO not super equatable to a residency, but maybe would get your foot in the door more than just graduating without an emphasis in vet school? I was just really confused. Thoughts?

Bumping up this dead thread. Stumbled upon this: http://vet.tufts.edu/education/comb...s-in-lab-animal-medicine-2/admissions-dvmlam/, and was curious if anyone knew about it or had any opinions. So my understanding is that it just prepares you for non-board certified lab animalish work straight out of graduation. IMHO not super equatable to a residency, but maybe would get your foot in the door more than just graduating without an emphasis in vet school? I was just really confused. Thoughts?
I think most people who go through the program still go through a residency if lab animal is what they end up pursuing. If you are actually considering the program, I would contact the program director and ask specifics about what their graduates have done.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait...since when is there a demand for/shortage of (which are technically two different things, but I digress) lab animal vets? I have heard nothing but the opposite from lab animal residents and colleagues.

Wait...since when is there a demand for/shortage of (which are technically two different things, but I digress) lab animal vets? I have heard nothing but the opposite from lab animal residents and colleagues.

There isn't.

It's another one of those grass is greener fairytales people like to tell.

This thread's from 2009, when **** hit the fan for private practitioners, and there was a heck of a lot of rumors going on at the time for all the other things you can do because a DVM opens so many doors and people just aren't thinking outside the box.

Reactions: 2 users
This. The lab animal job market is becoming increasingly competitive. With the SA market shrinking, many of the folks initially interested in SA are moving to other specialties, LAM included. My adviser here at NCSU paints a fairly bleak view of the job market in this specialty, particularly in specific focus areas (corporate pharma, for example, as many of these jobs are being outsourced overseas).

20 years ago, LAM was the place to be. There were many available positions, and a shortage of students interested in going this direction. Currently, that's not the case. There are indeed jobs available in the field (corporate, academic, government). For those interested, you can check out ACLAM's job board to see what's currently advertised for boarded folks: http://www.aclam.org/jobs

Most jobs these days require ACLAM certification (for the LAM folks out there, I'm not saying that you absolutely cannot get a job without it, but it's becoming increasingly difficult). ACLAM can be accomplished in one of two ways, via a traditional residency, or via the 7 year experience route. By far, residency is the more common road. Why? To qualify to sit the ACLAM boards, you need 7 years of equivalent experience in LAM environments. It would be a rare event for a facility to hire you with limited LAM experience (the old, need experience to get experience conundrum). Folks have done it- not saying it can't be done, but it's rare.

As for Tufts, yes, Cummings has the joint MS in LAM. It's very expensive, and unnecessary (at least in my opinion). All of the vet schools out there can hook you up with some solid LAM experience during your elective periods and senior year. You don't need an expensive MS program on top of an already expensive vet school tuition bill. Similarly, there are several quality summer options that exist for students interested in LAM. ASLAP funds many of these, although there are others funded by corporate and government entities. See: http://www.aslap.org/careers

LAM is one of the few fields a student can enter a residency directly out of veterinary school. Path is another. Clinical folks need to do at least one, if not two, rotating/specialty internships before they're considered eligible for residency application.

LAM is role of many hats...predominantly regulatory compliance, clinical medicine, and facility/personnel administration. You need to publish at least one first authored primary research article (hypothesis driven) in order to gain eligibility to sit the LAM boards. Therefore, in all ACLAM approved residencies, you will be exposed to basic research. Basic research is a whole different ball of wax than clinical research. Be sure you understand the difference before deciding that you want to be a 'veterinary researcher.' I was involved in biomedical research for well over 10 years prior to attending veterinary school. I worked in in vivo settings for all of those years. Never once did I work on a project specifically earmarked 'for veterinary medicine.' Much of (not all) the research conducted by your clinical profs (not the PhDs) in vet school is clinical research...not basic science. You can do both as a lab animal vet, but they're very different.

If you're really into research, and that's what you want to do with your life, I highly recommend you looking into a PhD. If you're serious about research as a career (especially at large, competitive institutions), the DVM is not going to train you to become an empirical scientist. PhD training is what teaches you these skills- from experimental design, stats, academic politics, etc. The DVM is a clinical degree, not a research degree. There are plenty of DVMs that conduct research (both clinical and basic science) with a DVM alone, but I would hazard a guess that these folks have been in the research business for a long time, and have collaborators at the PhD level. Try working in MULTIPLE labs before you decide that you 'want to do research' for a career. Be sure to ask about current funding climates, and how this impacts job satisfaction, particularly at junior (not tenured) levels.

LAM is a diverse and fulfilling field. I specifically returned to vet school to pursue this career. Residencies are competitive, as is the job market. Although this is my first choice placement, I do have two other career paths 'waiting in the wings' if LAM didn't happen to work out. Life is funny that way- sometimes it just doesn't go the way you want. If LAM is your thing, go for it...but keep an open mind, and have a few alternatives. Best of success!

@WhatsTheFrequency; you know these things. My response was geared for the OP, just tacked onto your comment as you completely hit the mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm actually interviewing for a lab animal caretaker position at my university tomorrow!!! A little nervous but excited at the same time. Lab animal medicine is something I"m interested as well.

This. The lab animal job market is becoming increasingly competitive. With the SA market shrinking, many of the folks initially interested in SA are moving to other specialties, LAM included. My adviser here at NCSU paints a fairly bleak view of the job market in this specialty, particularly in specific focus areas (corporate pharma, for example, as many of these jobs are being outsourced overseas).

20 years ago, LAM was the place to be. There were many available positions, and a shortage of students interested in going this direction. Currently, that's not the case. There are indeed jobs available in the field (corporate, academic, government). For those interested, you can check out ACLAM's job board to see what's currently advertised for boarded folks: http://www.aclam.org/jobs

Most jobs these days require ACLAM certification (for the LAM folks out there, I'm not saying that you absolutely cannot get a job without it, but it's becoming increasingly difficult). ACLAM can be accomplished in one of two ways, via a traditional residency, or via the 7 year experience route. By far, residency is the more common road. Why? To qualify to sit the ACLAM boards, you need 7 years of equivalent experience in LAM environments. It would be a rare event for a facility to hire you with limited LAM experience (the old, need experience to get experience conundrum). Folks have done it- not saying it can't be done, but it's rare.

As for Tufts, yes, Cummings has the joint MS in LAM. It's very expensive, and unnecessary (at least in my opinion). All of the vet schools out there can hook you up with some solid LAM experience during your elective periods and senior year. You don't need an expensive MS program on top of an already expensive vet school tuition bill. Similarly, there are several quality summer options that exist for students interested in LAM. ASLAP funds many of these, although there are others funded by corporate and government entities. See: http://www.aslap.org/careers

LAM is one of the few fields a student can enter a residency directly out of veterinary school. Path is another. Clinical folks need to do at least one, if not two, rotating/specialty internships before they're considered eligible for residency application.

LAM is role of many hats...predominantly regulatory compliance, clinical medicine, and facility/personnel administration. You need to publish at least one first authored primary research article (hypothesis driven) in order to gain eligibility to sit the LAM boards. Therefore, in all ACLAM approved residencies, you will be exposed to basic research. Basic research is a whole different ball of wax than clinical research. Be sure you understand the difference before deciding that you want to be a 'veterinary researcher.' I was involved in biomedical research for well over 10 years prior to attending veterinary school. I worked in in vivo settings for all of those years. Never once did I work on a project specifically earmarked 'for veterinary medicine.' Much of (not all) the research conducted by your clinical profs (not the PhDs) in vet school is clinical research...not basic science. You can do both as a lab animal vet, but they're very different.

If you're really into research, and that's what you want to do with your life, I highly recommend you looking into a PhD. If you're serious about research as a career (especially at large, competitive institutions), the DVM is not going to train you to become an empirical scientist. PhD training is what teaches you these skills- from experimental design, stats, academic politics, etc. The DVM is a clinical degree, not a research degree. There are plenty of DVMs that conduct research (both clinical and basic science) with a DVM alone, but I would hazard a guess that these folks have been in the research business for a long time, and have collaborators at the PhD level. Try working in MULTIPLE labs before you decide that you 'want to do research' for a career. Be sure to ask about current funding climates, and how this impacts job satisfaction, particularly at junior (not tenured) levels.

LAM is a diverse and fulfilling field. I specifically returned to vet school to pursue this career. Residencies are competitive, as is the job market. Although this is my first choice placement, I do have two other career paths 'waiting in the wings' if LAM didn't happen to work out. Life is funny that way- sometimes it just doesn't go the way you want. If LAM is your thing, go for it...but keep an open mind, and have a few alternatives. Best of success!

@WhatsTheFrequency; you know these things. My response was geared for the OP, just tacked onto your comment as you completely hit the mark.

This is sticky post quality, my friend. I wish we had upvotes, because I would do so into oblivion with this one.

Especially the distinction in science. For all the "vets are needed in research" bull**** we are fed....no. They want PhDs. They don't want vets. A DVM in NO way prepares you for actual research. Retrospective studies on canine hip implants or whatever means nothiong to these people. They want hardcore benchtop science. If you want to be a research vet, then be prepared to get a PhD after your DVM. Period.

Reactions: 3 users
This is sticky post quality, my friend. I wish we had upvotes, because I would do so into oblivion with this one.

Especially the distinction in science. For all the "vets are needed in research" bull**** we are fed....no. They want PhDs. They don't want vets. A DVM in NO way prepares you for actual research. Retrospective studies on canine hip implants or whatever means nothiong to these people. They want hardcore benchtop science. If you want to be a research vet, then be prepared to get a PhD after your DVM. Period.
Truth told. I'd also add that, for those interested in a hard-core research career, you MUST enjoy (or, at the very least, TOLERATE) writing manuscripts, applying for grants, and performing academic service (at the institutional, national, and international levels). This is what the academic research enterprise (at its upper echelons) is really about. Technicians can be trained to 'execute' the steps of an experiment, but the PI sets the research direction for his/her lab, and is responsible for securing its funding. Funding isn't just cash for research...it's funding for salaries. As a PI, your staff members (specifically, technicians, students, and post-docs not paid by an assistantship) depend on you to eat and care for their families. This is an enormous amount of responsibility (and source of stress), particularly in today's funding environment. In some fields, funding is at the 5% mark...that means that 95% of submitted grants ARE NOT being funded. Running a research lab is very similar to owning a small business. If you don't get funded, what happens to those people who depend on you for money?? Want to do 'veterinary' research specifically (i.e. research geared toward animal treatment alone, irrespective of human health contributions)? Good luck securing substantive funds. Rates are far lower for veterinary exclusive work than in vivo experiments tied to human outcomes.

Many veterinarians collaborate on projects. That's very different than being the PI. Collaboration is a great gig- you basically serve as a consultant. You get partial credit for your input (middle authorship) and shoulder none of the stress associated with funding. Best of both worlds. It's here that I see many clinical faculty banking their research hours.

For those considering a research career, please be clear on what you're getting yourself into. It can be a wonderful life, but your personality and goals have to match what this path can offer you. It requires a very thick skin (rejection is rife), entrepreneurial spirit, and flexibility (aligning your research goals with current funding trends, not just digging your heels in and complaining your peripheral grant isn't attracting funds) to be successful.

I'm actually interviewing for a lab animal caretaker position at my university tomorrow!!! A little nervous but excited at the same time. Lab animal medicine is something I"m interested as well.
Good luck! How'd it go?

@Lab Vet I thought it went pretty well. I gave her an updated resume. I told her about all my experiences with living on a farm, giving chemo, working at a diagnostic laboratory, and learning how to restrain patients by volunteering at a vet clinic. She asked me how this affects my goals.. told her I'm planning on going to veterinary school and I want as much experience in different areas as I can. This would give me a broad spectrum of handling different species as well as understanding what a lab animal vet does. She asked what kind of skills I have that aren't shown on my resume.. I told her I'm enthusiastic, and able to work as a team, and that I love working in a fast paced environment to be as efficient as possible. She asked me about working independently. I told her there are pros and cons, I like to work independently to push myself but I like to check with others on some things just to be absolute sure of anything. The final question she asked is what I feel about animal testing.. I said we are all in this for the welfare and for the animal to have a healthy life. With testing, we are able to come up with drugs and things to not only save more animals, but people as well. More lives are able to be saved with animal testing. She took me on a tour, which was awesome! She's interviewing ten students and taking one or two. The only thing hurting me is limited availability but we discussed that if I am chosen, I will work on such and such day. I"m planning on sending her an email to thank her for the interview. Thoughts?

@Lab Vet I thought it went pretty well. I gave her an updated resume. I told her about all my experiences with living on a farm, giving chemo, working at a diagnostic laboratory, and learning how to restrain patients by volunteering at a vet clinic. She asked me how this affects my goals.. told her I'm planning on going to veterinary school and I want as much experience in different areas as I can. This would give me a broad spectrum of handling different species as well as understanding what a lab animal vet does. She asked what kind of skills I have that aren't shown on my resume.. I told her I'm enthusiastic, and able to work as a team, and that I love working in a fast paced environment to be as efficient as possible. She asked me about working independently. I told her there are pros and cons, I like to work independently to push myself but I like to check with others on some things just to be absolute sure of anything. The final question she asked is what I feel about animal testing.. I said we are all in this for the welfare and for the animal to have a healthy life. With testing, we are able to come up with drugs and things to not only save more animals, but people as well. More lives are able to be saved with animal testing. She took me on a tour, which was awesome! She's interviewing ten students and taking one or two. The only thing hurting me is limited availability but we discussed that if I am chosen, I will work on such and such day. I"m planning on sending her an email to thank her for the interview. Thoughts?
Sounds good, cheathac. The only thing I'd mention is that the overwhelming majority of animal research conducted is aimed, first and foremost, at achieving outcomes in humans. A common tagline of animal research supporters is "Animal research saves animals, too." That's true, and it certainly does. However, as I mentioned in my above post, most of the animals you will be working with are involved in research for the sole purpose of ameliorating human conditions (if it's a biomedical project- animal health would be the afterthought). "Discovery" research is conducted at a far more fundamental level, where the results obtained can and are expected to be applied across the board (these are typically projects funded by agencies like the NSF, versus NIH funding for strictly biomedical proposals). Your response wasn't incorrect. I mention this only so you're aware that the main goal of funded biomedical research isn't the improvement of animal health, not at first pass, at least. People "as well" simply isn't the case- people aren't the afterthought, they're the driving force of the work.

Oh okay, that totally makes sense too after the tour. I hope it didn't hurt my interview much. I won't know the result until next week after all the interview.

I know it's way too far in advance.. bc I may not even get the job, but if I did.. would this be classified as research experience since it is definitely an experience in a reseawrch environment? Just wondering. Thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I know it's way too far in advance.. bc I may not even get the job, but if I did.. would this be classified as research experience since it is definitely an experience in a reseawrch environment? Just wondering. Thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Hi cheathac. No, this experience would not be classified as research experience. Even though you are in a research environment, you're not doing work directly pertaining to the experimental process. You'd be doing animal care, correct (feeding, watering the animals, changing their cages?) This is a support function, but it is not research itself. To classify an experience as 'research,' a student must be involved directly with the experimental process- preferentially all phases (design, data collection, data analysis, publication). That's a tall order for an undergrad, so I'd say at the very least an individual would need to be involved with the data collection phase. You would need to know enough about the research project to speak about it intelligently (as well as your role in the project) at a vet school interview. Hope this helps, and that you nab the job!

Thank you so much! If I get the job it may lead to a research experience. I'm currently helping out with research in the vet school for an orthopedic surgeon and am involved in collecting data so I can use that as research. Again, thanks for your responses!

Well they interviewed 12 overall. They brought back in the top 3, me included. I met with her today and we solely discussed availability, which of course mine is limited we discussed that I can only work once a week as well as weekends. And how I can be available over breaks and during Christmas break, but I will be going on a study abroad at that time. She says my schedule would work well for the job and to not be down on myself. Crossing my fingers but at least I know if I didn't get selected it's not because I'm not qualified, but because of my schedule.

YAY! I love hearing about people being interested in the laboratory animal medicine route because I feel like Research has such a bad rap.. I am currently in the Research field as the only weekend vet tech for ~6 facilities (tri-institutional)! If you are willing to work the shifts that other people do not want, then you will most definitely have a better chance. There were approximately 3-4 people who interviewed before me with WAY better qualifications and experiences (since I was straight out of school) but they weren't willing to always work weekends so I got the job instead. It is taxing at times but you get to work with a lot of animals and if the PI are friendly, you can also ask about their research and get more hands on experience through them. I don't think that research is for everyone because it is a bit more of a taxing job, in terms of emotionally, because not all animals in the facility are for long term studies. When you bond with one, it might be a bit devastating when you learn that they have to be euthanize for the study. But I like the diversity and the 'big picture' implications that research has.

Only thing I do caution is that a husbandry or animal caretaker is much different from a veterinary technician position. Veterinary technician deals more with the veterinary side of the job, aka health checks, surgeries, room rounds, etc. Husbandry/animal caretaker (in our facility) are only responsible for the husbandry tasks as in changing cages, rack changes, etc. They are not able to provide veterinary treatments nor are they able to make any veterinary assessments. But I think animal caretaker is a good stepping stone into the veterinary position because you can obtain your ALAT/LAT certification. Some places don't require a LVT but is fine with an ALAT/LAT certification with at least 2 years animal experience.

YAY! I love hearing about people being interested in the laboratory animal medicine route because I feel like Research has such a bad rap.. I am currently in the Research field as the only weekend vet tech for ~6 facilities (tri-institutional)! If you are willing to work the shifts that other people do not want, then you will most definitely have a better chance. There were approximately 3-4 people who interviewed before me with WAY better qualifications and experiences (since I was straight out of school) but they weren't willing to always work weekends so I got the job instead. It is taxing at times but you get to work with a lot of animals and if the PI are friendly, you can also ask about their research and get more hands on experience through them. I don't think that research is for everyone because it is a bit more of a taxing job, in terms of emotionally, because not all animals in the facility are for long term studies. When you bond with one, it might be a bit devastating when you learn that they have to be euthanize for the study. But I like the diversity and the 'big picture' implications that research has.

Only thing I do caution is that a husbandry or animal caretaker is much different from a veterinary technician position. Veterinary technician deals more with the veterinary side of the job, aka health checks, surgeries, room rounds, etc. Husbandry/animal caretaker (in our facility) are only responsible for the husbandry tasks as in changing cages, rack changes, etc. They are not able to provide veterinary treatments nor are they able to make any veterinary assessments. But I think animal caretaker is a good stepping stone into the veterinary position because you can obtain your ALAT/LAT certification. Some places don't require a LVT but is fine with an ALAT/LAT certification with at least 2 years animal experience.

This varies by institution somewhat and also what research/teaching animals you are in charge of. For the rodents and rabbits, yeah, you don't touch them much. But when I worked as a lab animal husbandry/caretaker during vet school (I did weekend and evenings on the side for extra $) we administered basic medications (oral and opthalmic) to the horses and dogs if needed. Of course, certainly not anything serious or complicated - it's definitely not a "technician" job per se like you said - but it was useful in terms of learning how to handle animals on your own.

Well I did end up getting the position! I started last week and enjoyed it. It's definitely more on the husbandry side but we did give some sheep some oral medications. And we are supposed to report any medical findings when we work to the veterinarians in charge of those animals. My hope is to be able to work with a PI on their project next summer after working as a caretaker during school. The job starts at 6 am.. a little early for my liking but I loved it all the same.

Well I did end up getting the position! I started last week and enjoyed it. It's definitely more on the husbandry side but we did give some sheep some oral medications. And we are supposed to report any medical findings when we work to the veterinarians in charge of those animals. My hope is to be able to work with a PI on their project next summer after working as a caretaker during school. The job starts at 6 am.. a little early for my liking but I loved it all the same.
Never underestimate the importance of husbandry practices. To be a good veterinarian (in any specialty), it's very important to know and recognize normal/abnormal phenotype (especially behavior) in the species that you treat. Take every opportunity to sharpen your observational skills, no matter where you find yourself working. You'll be a better vet for doing so.