Lack of activities after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GCS-15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a senior now, and plan to take my mcat sept or next january, then apply in the 2017-2018 cycle. I'm a little worried because I don't have any set activities after my mcat - I'll probably volunteer some more and other miscellaneous stuff, but nothing significant because I would have graduated and ended the stuff I was involved with. The goal is for sept mcat, then get involved with something, but i'm worried I'll have to push it off until jan, and then only be able to get involved with stuff for 6 months until i apply.

Would this look really bad when I apply and answer the secondary question "what have you been doing after graduation"?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

What about getting a job :)? That's doing something! Or maybe you have a hobby? Those always count

Volunteer with an undeserved community as a mentor or something

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps get a job as a medical scribe in the meantime, which is what I did. It can be something that you talk about during interviews.

I like the job idea, but i'm a little worried because it'll take some time to find the job after my mcat, and i'm not sure how many employers would be receptive to the idea of having someone work for just a couple of months (I plan to enter an accelerated MPH program when I apply so not sure if I would be able to keep up with the job too). Also, I've done extensive volunteering with underserved communities, but i'll see if maybe there's more i can do.

Just don't want those couple of months after I take my mcat to go to waste and not be able to find something to do. I'll probably just continue volunteering with some of the groups i'm involved with now.

Just find a hobby you enjoy or travel. You don't necessarily have to be constantly doing something to "plump" up your application 24/7. Especially, if you're good in all the other categories. :)

I like the job idea, but i'm a little worried because it'll take some time to find the job after my mcat, and i'm not sure how many employers would be receptive to the idea of having someone work for just a couple of months (I plan to enter an accelerated MPH program when I apply so not sure if I would be able to keep up with the job too). Also, I've done extensive volunteering with underserved communities, but i'll see if maybe there's more i can do.

Just don't want those couple of months after I take my mcat to go to waste and not be able to find something to do. I'll probably just continue volunteering with some of the groups i'm involved with now.
McDonalds, burger king, etc don't care if you leave after a couple months

I started applying to scribe jobs about 1 month before my MCAT date. Just tell them when you think you can start.