Jul 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
One should not consider this post to be a hit on TBR since I myself have just recently bought all of their books, but I have to point this out:

For all of the massive hype that TBR receives in these forums, it seems that there is a huge lack of MCAT success stories in the 30+ study habits sticky that a) involve use of only TBR resources or b) rely mostly upon TBR resources with a minor touch of EK, or Kaplan, or Princeton, etc.

A quick glance through the many pages of that sticky seem to show that many of the high scorers (34+) have only used or relied heavily upon EK.

The point is...the hype isn't matching what people are reporting with their success.

Any explanations?

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Aspiring Cardiologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
usa
Status
One should consider this post to be a hit on TBR since I myself have just recently bought all of their books, but I have to point this out:

For all of the massive hype that TBR receives in these forums, it seems that there is a huge lack of MCAT success stories in the 30+ study habits sticky that a) involve use of only TBR resources or b) rely mostly upon TBR resources with a minor touch of EK, or Kaplan, or Princeton, etc.

A quick glance through the many pages of that sticky seem to show that many of the high scorers (34+) have only used or relied heavily upon EK.

The point is...the hype isn't matching what people are reporting with their success.

Any explanations?
Blah, Malayna got a 38 with a 15 PS. She took it in May. Of course most kids use Kaplan, it's the largest company. It doesn't matter what you use for MOST students. However, for poor test takers, I contend nothing is better than TBR. In closing, the kids who are using the TBR haven't taken the MCAt yet. Most will take it in August. Even so, the kids who take Kaplan or TPR will always dwarf. This is simply a numbers game. Is Kaplan better than TPR since more kids in the 30+ have used them? TBR gets hype but not very many people use them on this forum because of price and their archaic shipping methods. Kaplan is huge at my school, for every 40 there are 15 25s. You only see the 40's post here. TPR has a national average of 30, I assure Kaplan does not. Kaplan offers you tons of practice material and test tips. Which is good for the high achievers. I think Kaplan has the best BS passages. However, if you're content is shaky, I would advise TPR or TBR any day.

Also, a lot of 30+ posters AREN'T regular posters. This means they are going to pick what's known. At my school no one knows about Examkrackers. Since Kaplan dominates does that mean they're better than Ek? So, numbers shouldn't bother you. TBR is money for PS. Hifi got a 37 and a 14 PS. RRTCO got a 14PS and he's been out of school. RRT took in January. For PS, TBR is unreal. Verbal EK takes the cake.

Finally, of course no one solely uses TBR. They only dominate 3 sections, Physics, gen-chem, and O-chem. Most kids are good in O-chem so EK suffices. The vast majority only need their PS books so that's why you're going to have so few who solely use them. The advantage of TBR isn't content although an argument can be made there, it's their unmatched quality number of passages.

unDRdog

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Texas/ Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
Blah, Malayna got a 38 with a 15 PS. She took it in May. Of course most kids use Kaplan, it's the largest company. It doesn't matter what you use for MOST students. However, for poor test takers, I contend nothing is better than TBR. In closing, the kids who are using the TBR haven't taken the MCAt yet. Most will take it in August. Even so, the kids who take Kaplan or TPR will always dwarf. This is simply a numbers game. Is Kaplan better than TPR since more kids in the 30+ have used them? TBR gets hype but not very many people use them on this forum because of price and their archaic shipping methods. Kaplan is huge at my school, for every 40 there are 15 25s. You only see the 40's post here. TPR has a national average of 30, I assure Kaplan does not. Kaplan offers you tons of practice material and test tips. Which is good for the high achievers. I think Kaplan has the best BS passages. However, if you're content is shaky, I would advise TPR or TBR any day.

Also, a lot of 30+ posters AREN'T regular posters. This means they are going to pick what's known. At my school no one knows about Examkrackers. Since Kaplan dominates does that mean they're better than Ek? So, numbers shouldn't bother you. TBR is money for PS. Hifi got a 37 and a 14 PS. RRTCO got a 14PS and he's been out of school. RRT took in January. For PS, TBR is unreal. Verbal EK takes the cake.

Finally, of course no one solely uses TBR. They only dominate 3 sections, Physics, gen-chem, and O-chem. Most kids are good in O-chem so EK suffices. The vast majority only need their PS books so that's why you're going to have so few who solely use them. The advantage of TBR isn't content although an argument can be made there, it's their unmatched quality number of passages.
amen brother---preach!! :D

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah TBR is awesome but I'm not sure why there isn't a ton of them. I think people have just started to use TBR a lot in these forums and I know a lot of august/september people are using them so you should just wait for that flood. I thought this too when I didn't have them but now having the TBR books and EK and TPR and kaplan, I can tell you that TBR is going to prep you BEST for PS hands down, the practice alone blows the competition away.

I also don't understand why TPR gets no respect. I mean they're mentioned but usually faded away behind TBR and EK and even kaplan. TPR is AWESOME. Especially for physics. I'd say content wise they are as good as TBR in physics but TBR blows them away with amount/quality of practice. TPR still has good practice though just no as good as TBR. TPR is also good in bio in my opinion but no one ever mentions it. It is very detailed but if you know a lot of it you can just flip through some of the pages in a couple minutes because it is double spaced.

Also you have to realize that very few people who get over 30 post in the 30+ thread. A lot of them move on to the application forum or some of the other forums on this site or they just don't come back. Most people, when finished with the MCAT just leave.

Just my opinion though,

-LIS

phillips101

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
First, no company can TRULY guarantee a 30+. If reading any one book, following its tips and techniques can get you a good score, than I don't think the MCAT is as hard as it is. I noticed also that TBR DOES get a lot of hype on this forum. However, if you've gone through their books, you'll see the hype isn't for nothing. As far as whether there are any explanations...people on SDN aren't trying to sell you anything. They're simply giving advice based on their own personal experience. If you don't think TBR is worth the money or the hype, than simply return it (and throw away that $30 shipping fee lol). Like Will Hunting said, people usually supplement TBR with other things. I did EK 1001 before TBR physics. I tried Kaplan, but kind of put it to the side eventually. Now, I'm actually using a textbook along with TBR for chem because of the fact that I took chem 4 years ago. Also, I know someone who took Kaplan and got a 24. That MUST mean that Kaplan is a crappy company, right? Well, actually, a friend of mine took Kaplan (and only Kaplan) and got a 35. That MUST mean that Kaplan is the Holy Grail of MCAT prep. What I'm trying to say is that your score depends on you, not necessarily the company. Someone who skimmed through TBR and then walked into the test will probably do poorly compared to someone who studied Kaplan for 3 months.

OP
K
Jul 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Phillips,

I don't understand which points you are responding to. I did not criticize TBR, I did not mention that our scores are determined by the test prep company alone, and I did not say that I regretted my purchase of the books. In fact, I have gone through enough of them to be convinced that the materials live up to the hype.

All I was noticing was that there seems to be a discrepancy between the amount of hype (which is due hype) that TBR receives and the number of success stories involving TBR in the 30+ sticky. And Will Hunting has explained that discrepancy in clear terms.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I also don't understand why TPR gets no respect. I mean they're mentioned but usually faded away behind TBR and EK and even kaplan. TPR is AWESOME. Especially for physics. I'd say content wise they are as good as TBR in physics but TBR blows them away with amount/quality of practice. TPR still has good practice though just no as good as TBR. TPR is also good in bio in my opinion but no one ever mentions it. It is very detailed but if you know a lot of it you can just flip through som
TPR Hyperlearning is a great set of books. The reason why it doesn't get brought up as much is due to availability. In order to get TPR Hyperlearning books, you have to find someone that took the class. Conversely, BR's books are readily available.

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
TPR Hyperlearning is a great set of books. The reason why it doesn't get brought up as much is due to availability. In order to get TPR Hyperlearning books, you have to find someone that took the class. Conversely, BR's books are readily available.
True. But between these forums, ebay, craiglist, and amazon they're not THAT hard to find. I feel bad for them because if they were sold in stores like the Kaplan blue book they would outsell every company EASILY.

-LIS

Will Hunting

Aspiring Cardiologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
usa
Status
Yeah TBR is awesome but I'm not sure why there isn't a ton of them. I think people have just started to use TBR a lot in these forums and I know a lot of august/september people are using them so you should just wait for that flood. I thought this too when I didn't have them but now having the TBR books and EK and TPR and kaplan, I can tell you that TBR is going to prep you BEST for PS hands down, the practice alone blows the competition away.

I also don't understand why TPR gets no respect. I mean they're mentioned but usually faded away behind TBR and EK and even kaplan. TPR is AWESOME. Especially for physics. I'd say content wise they are as good as TBR in physics but TBR blows them away with amount/quality of practice. TPR still has good practice though just no as good as TBR. TPR is also good in bio in my opinion but no one ever mentions it. It is very detailed but if you know a lot of it you can just flip through some of the pages in a couple minutes because it is double spaced.

Also you have to realize that very few people who get over 30 post in the 30+ thread. A lot of them move on to the application forum or some of the other forums on this site or they just don't come back. Most people, when finished with the MCAT just leave.

Just my opinion though,

-LIS
I wholeheartedly agree. The TPR has the best text for physics. It's electrostatics is unreal. Here is a post of mine describing the advantages of the varying companies, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7821443&postcount=5.

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
SCORE. The main character from one of my favorite movies agrees with me.

-LIS

Will Hunting

Aspiring Cardiologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
usa
Status

redlight

Senior Member :D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
so why does tbr's verbal get a lukewarm review?

and kaplan is really best for bio...?

LeftyUM

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I personally think that its pretty smart NOT to rely on just one company. I know first hand that having read all the BR books AND EK/PR books, I came out stronger in the end. Where one fails, the other picks up. And where BR fails for some, PR/EK picks it right back up. You want a 30 on the MCAT? VARY YOUR TESTING MATERIAL....and study smart.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
and kaplan is really best for bio...?

Biology: 1. EK Bio + EK 1001 Bio, non-detail oriented 1. BR/TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

redlight

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
Biology: 1. EK Bio + EK 1001 Bio, non-detail oriented 1. BR/TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan
ive seen this!!!! :mad:

i even posted it in one of my threads. i just wanted others to defend the statement. lol

redlight

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
I personally think that its pretty smart NOT to rely on just one company. I know first hand that having read all the BR books AND EK/PR books, I came out stronger in the end. Where one fails, the other picks up. And where BR fails for some, PR/EK picks it right back up. You want a 30 on the MCAT? VARY YOUR TESTING MATERIAL....and study smart.
haha, same rules for those who want a 40?

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I would go out on a limb and say that the basic things needed to achieve a 30 are the same things needed for a 40 just more precisely fine tuned. And more luck obviously because getting a section you're great in versus even something you're good in can be the different between a 39 and 40 because the higher you are the more your score varies (not much of a difference at all between 38-42).

-LIS

Will Hunting

Aspiring Cardiologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
usa
Status
I'm just curious Will, why do you think Kaplan is best for Bio?

-LIS
I have read through the old 30+ forum and went through Kaplan Bio and EK Bio. EK presents stuff in a conceptual manner. Kaplan is more traditional and I prefer its didactic approach. EK is less organized. A lot of people combine them because Kaplan comprehensive is cheap and so is EK series. The vast majority who used both felt they gained a better feel once they went through Kaplan Bio because of its greater depth. Then after going through Kaplan Bio, EK bio is great because of its conceptual nature. In Biology, it's good to know the details. You don't have to memorize them, but reading them once sticks into your head subconsciously. Then when you read it in a highlighted manner through EK it makes sense. Some who got a 14 on BS nailed it a T for Bio, he said, "Kaplan alone is the best but EK and TPR combined is greater than Kaplan." TPR is great but is so much. However, tons of people used EK bio and love it so don't worry. It's just a personal opinion:)

pandoraaj009

10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2009
phoenix
Status
Pre-Medical
I wasn't expecting this thread to be so...beneficial, I think I want to say.

I have ek, kaplan, textbooks, and tbr books...hahaha I certainly don't use them all at once, but sometimes I get frustrated w/ one source so I'll go down the line til I get something. Honestly, I use textbooks first, and then wikipedia/google because it's more convenient to punch in a search on my phone than sift thru all my crap lol. Honestly, I wish I'd done that earlier in my content review, because I'm definitely rusty on a lot of the basic concepts (I took the classes 3-5 yrs ago)and need a thorough review.

However, to respond to the original post, I too noticed that TBR is under-represented in the 30+ thread. What ultimately compelled me to "drink the kool aid" and join the TBR cult was that I saw posts by ppl who were similar to me: not brilliant, hard worker but still pretty laid back in their approach, lots of non trad's-and they did really well.

Even more convincing, however, was that ppl who used TBR were absolutely GUSHING about the company. Even if ppl did really well w/ other companies, they never were as hardcore enthusiastic as ppl who used TBR. That says a lot, I think.

it seems TBR has a slight advantage due to the passages, and then there's ambivalence about other companies after that. I've seen a very small #of negative or even lukewarm posts about TBR, and the vast majority are positive.

And, for the record, I love TBR and would, like, do free commercials or something. Kinda like crappy ads where some dead beat is saying how this great law firm got them out of some legal fiasco like keeping their job after they biffed it and broke their arm. Whatever. You know what I'm getting at. TBR is awesome.