Lack of Leadership Positions for Med School Admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulsinger

Reaction score
I am currently a second year in college (second year almost over), and I'm planning on applying to medical school at the end of my third year (the goal is to go straight through without taking a year off). I've been trying to secure board positions in the clubs I'm currently in, but today I just got my last rejection. Which means I'll be applying to med school without having had really good leadership experience. (I served as a coordinator and intern, but not exactly executive board). How will this affect my chances? If I secure a position for my fourth year, I know I can list that as a "future plan," but I've heard ad coms don't weigh that as heavily. Also, I don't feel as though my extracurriculars are as good as they could be. As of now, I have two organizations I'm dedicated to, as well as my research lab. Should I spend my third year trying to join more clubs to pad my resume? What do ad coms care more about?
Side note: My current GPA is 3.98. I'm also taking the MCAT this summer so score TBD.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a second year in college (second year almost over), and I'm planning on applying to medical school at the end of my third year (the goal is to go straight through without taking a year off). I've been trying to secure board positions in the clubs I'm currently in, but today I just got my last rejection. Which means I'll be applying to med school without having had really good leadership experience. (I served as a coordinator and intern, but not exactly executive board). How will this affect my chances? If I secure a position for my fourth year, I know I can list that as a "future plan," but I've heard ad coms don't weigh that as heavily. Also, I don't feel as though my extracurriculars are as good as they could be. As of now, I have two organizations I'm dedicated to, as well as my research lab. Should I spend my third year trying to join more clubs to pad my resume? What do ad coms care more about?
Side note: My current GPA is 3.98. I'm also taking the MCAT this summer so score TBD.
Quality ALWAYS > quantity. Joining more clubs for the sake of filling space won’t do you much good. There are plenty of ways to demonstrate leadership without having a title explicitly given to you by others. With the 2 clubs you’re currently committed to, maybe see if there are ways you can lead your own little initiative within the club. Or start your own thing entirely—this would require more effort to make it seem genuine and to actually accomplish something, but it could demonstrate leadership.

Also I think this is the wrong forum/thread for this kind of post but oh well.