Lack of motivation after acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtles43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing lack of motivation post-acceptance? I feel like I've completely checked out at work. I'm so ready to start school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 21 users
I don't know if you've seen the classic movie Office Space, but my job lately always reminds me of this exchange:

Bob Slydell: You see, what we're actually trying to do here is, we're trying to get a feel for how people spend their day at work... so, if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Bob Slydell: Great.
Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.​

I'm bored out of my mind, and I go on SDN and Reddit for most of every day while waiting for the occasional patient that fits study criteria. Can't wait for school either.

Reactions: 27 users
Is anyone else experiencing lack of motivation post-acceptance? I feel like I've completely checked out at work. I'm so ready to start school.
Why would you still be invested in your menial job when you're going to pursue your dream career? Goals and aspirations have polarizing elements to them because there is only so much of yourself you can pour into save for some people who are considered exceptional or have savant like qualities in their field of work.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I still have to finish my last semester of undergrad strong and the thought of putting in effort feels like such a force at this point

Reactions: 14 users
Approximately every 5 minutes throughout the day, I repeat to myself, "6 more months until you move away".

Reactions: 23 users
I thought I was losing my mind. Good to know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Reactions: 12 users
This post made me consider the fact that a lot of workplace behavior and mentality in medicine runs counter to how the current job market operates. Physicians have a tendency to stay with hospitals for a longer period of time than the average commitment anyone stays with even an established company e.g. let's say a Fortune 500 company. A Monster.com career book I read way back stated that in 2006 the average length of employment time was in the ballpark of between 1-2 years. Even an airliner that used to average around 15-16 years of average employment time changed policies which caused higher turnover to the aforementioned average.

A lot of individual growth at the age of 21-24 where students usually enter medical school centers around learning quickly, adapting to a new workplace, and essentially increasing your own work place experience in a meaningful way that future employers will value to a higher extent. In a sense, the medical school admission process spurs a lot of what job employers also value save the lack of emphasis on GPA and more of a value on workplace accomplishments and familiarity with the system.

Horizontal growth especially for younger individuals is the nom de guerre of how to raise your pay in most systems where corporate is more likely to put into management someone with credentials. As with all things, your mileage may vary as some companies may favor promoting their in-house favorites if they've had a history of flops with hiring outside individuals (vertical growth model). However, if you aren't that "golden boy/gal" then it makes sense that you should constantly be more interested in what lies beyond the ocean and to never settle for second best.

The notion of medical school has a built in value structure where you and a school are synergistic in that both of you are invested in you. Increasing your performance and human capital will make you more desirable for residency positions which is a shared interest of both you and your school. These value investments however involve much more of a back-end payout where you are investing big time for a big time payoff. This market behavior seems to contrast a bit with my perception of how human capital investments operate with individuals which involve minimal front-end effort in hopes of progressively bigger back-end payouts with every iteration.
Dang. That read like an MCAT verbal passage. I didn't get to read the whole thing because I'm still Googling nom de guerre...

Reactions: 21 users
I used to be really good with my routine, but it's gotten to the point that I can barely get up for my job at 9 am, which is a pretty easy research job to begin with, so I've started wondering how the hell can I get through medical school if I can hardly do this. I hope it's just the loss of motivation that's causing this heh.

Reactions: 8 users
I used to be really good with my routine, but it's gotten to the point that I can barely get up for my job at 9 am, which is a pretty easy research job to begin with, so I've started wondering how the hell can I get through medical school if I can hardly do this. I hope it's just the loss of motivation that's causing this heh.
Yeah, this has been terrifying me. I am unsure if just depressed , in shock , or completely slacking off because there is no chance of slacking off in the foreseeable future.

You might just be one of us stress addicts that feels a need to be productive in life, but can only do so when crushed by work

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think having finally achieved your dream while subsequently gaining a lifelong career naturally makes whatever you are doing now seem futile.

To make matter worse, since you will no longer be employed in approximately 6 months, you will not have the opportunity to benefit from any of the (hard) work you are doing now. A raise? Sorry, won't be here to enjoy that. A promotion? Why would you ever promote me...I'm leaving.
I guess the mixed feeling about that is knowing that I am not doing my best.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like a sprinter that has crossed the finish line, and everything is just so boring before the next race.
6 months is a short and long time.

Reactions: 8 users
You might just be one of us stress addicts that feels a need to be productive in life, but can only do so when crushed by work
I identify with this on a spiritual level.
I need crisis!

I feel like a sprinter that has crossed the finish line, and everything is just so boring before the next race.
6 months is a short and long time.
Damn Schrodinger's time.

Reactions: 1 users
Which is longer,

2 minutes of Television or 2 minutes of wind sprints?
I'm pretty sure that according to Einstein's theory of relativity, 2 minutes of television is actually longer since someone doing wind sprints has a higher velocity

Reactions: 12 users
I'm pretty sure that according to Einstein's theory of relativity, 2 minutes of television is actually longer since someone doing wind sprints has a higher velocity

I...... I don't want to play anymore..... I'm going home. :(

Reactions: 9 users
I don't know how some of you are talking about this as if it's some unexpected mystery.. Once you reached your goal of getting into med school did you really think you would stay super motivated to work in that boring lab job or continue getting good grades that no longer really matter? It's human nature, we are goal driven. I had every expectation tthat I would be a lazy POS as soon as I didn't have to worry about getting in anymore:laugh:.

Reactions: 5 users
Do something fun. Relax. You did it. Just don't have your fun be something dangerous/illegal/stupid/mean.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't do ****t anymore. I barley make it to work and when I do get to work, I don't feel like doing anything (currently at work). Plus my brain feels like mush for being out of school for 1.5 years. So nope. You're not alone.

Reactions: 9 users
I can't do ****t anymore. I barley make it to work and when I do get to work, I don't feel like doing anything (currently at work). Plus my brain feels like mush for being out of school for 1.5 years. So nope. You're not alone.
+1

Dang. That read like an MCAT verbal passage. I didn't get to read the whole thing because I'm still Googling nom de guerre...

I, on the other hand, didn't even read it because I'm so checked out that I won't even put in the effort to read more than three sentences lol. Senioritis round 2 is too real

Reactions: 7 users
Wow this thread brings me back to how I felt last year.

What made the feelings worse is that my fellow employees and bosses knew that I got into medical school. After a while, the questions/comments alone made me want to quit: "What kind of doctor are you going to be?"; "Oh, my son is studying to be a doctor at X School of Nursing"; "Why do you want to be a doctor? To make people sicker to fatten up your wallet?".

In response to "What kind of doctor are you going to be?", I once responded with "A neuroproctologist". Her reply? "Oh wow, that sounds like it is going to take a very long time. Don't you want to have a family one day?". :confused:

Exactly this!!!

I've been worried that it's depression or something similar, because I don't feel productive in any way. Especially at work because I'm not motivated and it's not demanding in the way I'm use to. It makes me feel lazy and trickles throughout the rest of my life. Hopefully I'll feel better once I start school.

Anyone find a job that doesn't make them feel this way?

Anyone find a job that doesn't make them feel this way?
I was working a really fast paced job in a hair salon and wasn't feeling this way. Once I switched to my slow desk job (which was important for my application) is when I started feeling useless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've been worried that it's depression or something similar, because I don't feel productive in any way. Especially at work because I'm not motivated and it's not demanding in the way I'm use to. It makes me feel lazy and trickles throughout the rest of my life. Hopefully I'll feel better once I start school.

Yeah, this has been terrifying me. I am unsure if just depressed , in shock , or completely slacking off because there is no chance of slacking off in the foreseeable future.

Reading this thread's got me feeling like a normal person again. Thanks for the posts -- I echo your mentalities entirely!

Wow this thread brings me back to how I felt last year.

What made the feelings worse is that my fellow employees and bosses knew that I got into medical school. After a while, the questions/comments alone made me want to quit: "What kind of doctor are you going to be?"; "Oh, my son is studying to be a doctor at X School of Nursing"; "Why do you want to be a doctor? To make people sicker to fatten up your wallet?".

In response to "What kind of doctor are you going to be?", I once responded with "A neuroproctologist". Her reply? "Oh wow, that sounds like it is going to take a very long time. Don't you want to have a family one day?". :confused:

"Be a doctor at X school of nursing" had me dying

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
When I got accepted at the first of December, I became the same way. I went from wanting to nail my finals to just being happy with passing them and the classes. I currently work and that is about it. Have done a lot of screwing off and feel as if I have no purpose right now. Keep telling myself I will learn something new or get some extra stuff done with all this spare time. Then I tell myself "Nah not today, I will be busy enough in medical school", and proceed to screw off.

I have a semester left of undergrad. I may just stroll out with a 2.0 ...

I fricken hate the people that think doctors are out to screw patients and get as rich as possible. It's the worst combination of thinking doctors make too much money, and thinking that modern medicine is all some get rich quick MLM business that suppresses the "real wonder drugs" (read: bullsh*t neutraceuticals) that "work better but don't make money because healthy people don't buy medicine to make you rich."

conspiracy-theory-meme-300x300.jpg

I fricken hate the people that think doctors are out to screw patients and get as rich as possible. It's the worst combination of thinking doctors make too much money, and thinking that modern medicine is all some get rich quick MLM business that suppresses the "real wonder drugs" (read: bullsh*t neutraceuticals) that "work better but don't make money because healthy people don't buy medicine to make you rich."

conspiracy-theory-meme-300x300.jpg
We need more ND's, NP"s, etc. They actually care about patients unlike those pesky physicians. Spit that beta blocker out....they just prescribed it to you to make money. Tree bark and a detox should bring that blood pressure right on down.

We need more ND's, NP"s, etc. They actually care about patients unlike those pesky physicians. Spit that beta blocker out....they just prescribed it to you to make money. Tree bark and a detox should bring that blood pressure right on down.

The toll of natural selection on these types would be inherently limiting.

My job is way too relaxed which isn't helping me at all. I can stroll in at 11 or even 12... no one cares as long as my work is done come lab meeting.

I can't motivate myself to wake up at a reasonable hour, run errands, or even hang out with friends. I thought I was depressed (I have really dark swings sometimes) but this feels different.

Anyway, I tried to talk to my father about it and he just scoffed and basically said he can't understand how someone who just accomplished a huge goal can feel sad / depressed.

I'm bored... and suddenly lonely and ready to meet new people. 6 months can't pass fast enough.

My job is way too relaxed which isn't helping me at all. I can stroll in at 11 or even 12... no one cares as long as my work is done come lab meeting.

I can't motivate myself to wake up at a reasonable hour, run errands, or even hang out with friends. I thought I was depressed (I have really dark swings sometimes) but this feels different.

Anyway, I tried to talk to my father about it and he just scoffed and basically said he can't understand how someone who just accomplished a huge goal can feel sad / depressed.

I'm bored... and suddenly lonely and ready to meet new people. 6 months can't pass fast enough.

I actually feel you here. Don't feel much motivation to hang out with friends right now given that I'll be leaving soon.might partially be the winter though. I'm a warm weather guy.

Time slows with velocity, so it'd be the other way around.

Edit: technically the moving party would feel time passing at a normal rate, but would appear to be moving through time more slowly than the party at rest, and vice versa.

The toll of natural selection on these types would be inherently limiting.
The only studies that do exist do not show an increased risk of mortality by visiting NPs for primary care.

This is my life.

I actually feel you here. Don't feel much motivation to hang out with friends right now given that I'll be leaving soon.might partially be the winter though. I'm a warm weather guy.

Winter is definitely not helping (but I'm in Texas so it's mild). What bothers me most is that it gets dark by the time I leave the office and that causes me to shut down even further.

I need some damn sun.