Lack of sleep during mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

From all of my MCAT studying, I've found that even getting only 7 hours of sleep rather than 8 impedes my ability to reason through passages, especially in CARS and B/B. It makes it difficult for me to focus and keep track of what I'm reading. I'm pretty worried that I will be anxious on mcat eve and get little sleep. Everyone says this happens and that the adrenaline will make it easier, but I don't think that would work for me. My mind is impaired when I don't get 8-9 hours. Does anyone else have this problem? What would you recommend?

I don't really have as much problem with discrete questions, but getting through dense passages is very difficult in this state

And it's not even the fatigue, it's more the fogginess/drunk feeling that caffeine wouldn't be able to alleviate

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consistent bedtimes and consistent alarms (no snoozing) during your prep period would work best. Be in bed by 9:30, eyes closed lights off. Alarm at 6 AM, do NOT press snooze. Get up, shower, get ready, eat breakfast so you can be ready to leave for the test center at 7. Ideally, this is done a week before your dedicated test prep period begins, so that you are programmed to study with this sleep schedule as well. If you haven't already set your sleep schedule, start it as early as tonight. I don't know when your exam is, but as long as it's a week or more away, this approach will aid you.

Other things that can help is to avoid everything MCAT related the day before the exam. Spend the day doing non-stressful and enjoyable things. No caffeine after lunchtime on the day before your exam. Trust in your prep. If you can't trust in your prep, you might have other issues at play instead of simple test anxiety.

From all of my MCAT studying, I've found that even getting only 7 hours of sleep rather than 8 impedes my ability to reason through passages, especially in CARS and B/B. It makes it difficult for me to focus and keep track of what I'm reading. I'm pretty worried that I will be anxious on mcat eve and get little sleep. Everyone says this happens and that the adrenaline will make it easier, but I don't think that would work for me. My mind is impaired when I don't get 8-9 hours. Does anyone else have this problem? What would you recommend?

I don't really have as much problem with discrete questions, but getting through dense passages is very difficult in this state

And it's not even the fatigue, it's more the fogginess/drunk feeling that caffeine wouldn't be able to alleviate

Getting in a really disciplined sleep schedule helps; I was asleep at 10 and up at 6 everyday for 9 weeks before my exam. It got to the point where even if I wanted to stay up later or sleep in I physically couldn't. I've just recently gotten over this.

The adrenaline on the MCAT is real too man.. I can't really describe it. But I would try to establish a strong sleep schedule now. Also, start winding down your studying in the last few days. This will be tough, but you need to be fresh to take this at your best.

good luck OP!