Lacking info on MD/PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

learningcurve

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have found several sources of information comparing MD programs, but I have never found comparable documents on MD/PhD programs.

Other than going through and talking to scientists, pubmed, and looking over the website, can anyone suggest a more centralized source of information?

---------
While I'm at it, does anyone have experience with the MD/PhD neuroscience programs at
Duke,
UM-Ann Arbor,
Emory,
UCLA,
Stanford,
Albert Einstein,
or other significant neuroscience institutions?

-lc

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by learningcurve:
Other than going through and talking to scientists, pubmed, and looking over the website, can anyone suggest a more centralized source of information?

I have not seen any comprehensive source of information on MD/PhD programs. I do recommend the Case Western MD/PhD website, however, because it has links to most other MD/PhD programs. Check it out at: http://mstp.cwru.edu/ohtmstp.htm

---------
While I'm at it, does anyone have experience with the MD/PhD neuroscience programs at
Duke,
UM-Ann Arbor,
Emory,
UCLA,
Stanford,
Albert Einstein,
or other significant neuroscience institutions?

DUKE
The MD curriculum is very unique: 11 months of basic science + 1 year of clinical rotations, then graduate work followed by another year of clinical electives. It's the only program I visited where you do a signicant amount of clinical work before you get into the lab. This could be good or bad.

I was a bit surprised by how small Duke's neuroscience program was. I wasn't as impressed as I expected, although I did hit it off with one of my interviewers.

My experience was that the MD/PhD program was poorly organized. It took forever to arrange my interview and then to get reimbursed for my plane ticket.

EMORY
While the med school curriculum is very traditional (including even letter grades), the MD/PhD program seems exceptionally well supported and organized. The MD/PhD students seemed very cohesive and happy.

A co-director of the program is a neuroscientist/neurologist. Emory had a lot more neuro than expected, especially in the area of Parkinson's Disease. They are currently constructing a new neurodegenerative disease research center.

WASHINGTON U IN ST. LOUIS
This is the largest MD/PhD program in the country. This year, there are 24 MD/PhD students out of an entering class of ~122. In my opinion, this is the best run MD/PhD program in the country. Their large size allows them to have lots of special programs for MD/PhD students. Wash U also has a fabulous neuroscience program with lots of breadth and depth.

Ironically, I must once again ask if anyone has info in relation to the post above.

I thank MSTPI for his/her answer--it is most useful--but I cannot believe that he/she is the only one who has any experience with this process or these programs.

Also, what is this thing about getting reimbursed for flying out to the schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Learningcurve:

There are not too many fully funded MD/PhD programs out there. Depending on your stats, research experience, you may only find 1-2 dozen schools you can apply to and have a reasonable chance of getting accepted. Each on of these schools will send you a catalog fully describing their research opportunities
and the MD/PhD program. This is a primary way I think you will learn about them.

At this point I would talk to your mentors and go to the websites of the schools to research the MD/PhD programs. You have to realize that these programs are very hard to compare since most of your experience there will be with a single lab, and this will depend on you, your luck, your work and really has nothing to do with the program's
name.

Arti

Also, what is this thing about getting reimbursed for flying out to the schools?

Some schools pay for MSTP interview costs. Most schools wine and dine you at least once or twice and they usually pay for lodging. Three schools I visited also paid airfare, but this is more unusual.

Duke pays for lodging, $300 towards airfare, taxi fare from the airport and a couple meals.

Emory pays for lodging (usually you stay with a student) and a couple meals.

Wash U goes all out. They pay for airfare, a fancy hotel suite and several expensive meals ($40+/person).

MSTP I,

Is this kind of recruitment provided for only the most outstanding MSTP candidates? How can I increase my chances of getting this kind of treatment--in addition to being more of a superstar candidate?

Originally posted by learningcurve:
MSTP I,

Is this kind of recruitment provided for only the most outstanding MSTP candidates? How can I increase my chances of getting this kind of treatment--in addition to being more of a superstar candidate?

Most top twenty MSTPs recruit hard for their programs. They treat all the interviewees the same--very well. Most successful MSTP applicants get offers from more than one school, so each school tries to impress you so that you'll come.

I think most top twenty MD/PhD programs have relatively high minimum qualifications for interviewees, e.g. 32 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, very good recs, lots of research, etc. Once you get an interview, your chances of acceptance are very good (about 50% at some programs). If you can talk knowledgeably about your research you'll probably get accepted to several programs.

As for strengthening your application, pubs. are always good, but not absolutely necessary.

Based on what you've reported in previous posts, you are a very strong candidate and should look forward to multiple interviews and acceptances.

[This message has been edited by MSTP I (edited 07-21-2000).]

University of Minnesota has a very strong neuroscience program. I just completed a Neuroscience internship through the Med school, and learned much. Those other schools listed on other posts are fine, but for research i would prefer an institution with a great track-record for receiving NIH funding. The U of MN is the second largest University in the country, and the medical school was listed 33rd i think on the USnews report.