Medical Lacking Longitudinal Clinical Volunteering - Something to Worry About?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My EC profile currently looks like:
-1 year of ED scribing (10 hrs/wk) followed by 2 years of scribing for a neurology private practice (5 hrs/wk) until current (so 3 years of paid clinical employment)
-5 years (extends to before undergrad) of volunteering for a nonprofit org that holds academic tournaments for local high school kids, 3 of those years I served as an executive board member and this current year I am the executive board president
-3 years of research (most time-intensive extracurricular, probably poured 1500+ hours into this - I have a international conference poster presentation, 1 first-author review article being published this year, potentially a 1st-author methods paper submitted prior to applying and a 2nd-author original research paper that will likely be submitted in August this year)

As far as clinical VOLUNTEERING - I only did 200 hours in the summer after my freshman year (scheduled and admitted patients at a front desk for a nonprofit health care clinic and worked at a cancer center delivering water/refreshments/wheeling patients around) -- I had a "tick the box and get done with it" mentality. Speaking to a mentor, I'm being told that I should just state that this was done over the course of 4 years instead of all in one summer since my commitment to the underserved in a clinical setting seems lacking if it was all done in one go.

In the context of my EC profile, is this lack of non-paid clinical hours something I need to worry about? I don't want to fudge my application if the benefit provided is marginal.
First of all, don't lie. The chances you would be found out are very low, but if you say that you did this over the course of 4 years and it turns out that wasn't the case that looks much worse.

Second of all, I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of clinical volunteering when you have an actual clinical job and other recent non-clinical volunteering. Clearly you have enough clinical exposure to show that you know what you're getting yourself into, and you also have enough volunteering experience to show you care about people. I think your mentor is being nitpicky.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
NEVER LIE. PERIOD. It is absolutely NOT worth it.

Also, it doesn't matter if your clinical hours were volunteer or paid. The important part is that you got the experience which you have a lot of

Clinical experience: check.

Get that non-clinical volunteering in though.

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.