Ladies and Gentlemen... a Noob WW Sign Ups!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solidly average?
Exactly! Just like everyone else :laugh: I do think reading old games is pretty fun though, especially if it's a game with a lot of participation.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bootcamp Windows onto your Mac. That's how I play Elder Scrolls games. Your school probably gives free Windows downloads to students through the IT department (I've been at a couple of universities that have, so I'm guessing it's a common thing :shrug:). I'm not going to say anything more about how to do it until after your finals, though :p
Ooooohh. They do. Yes, please tell me how in a week hahaha

Reactions: 1 user
@Trilt
@Trilt

re: editing, when I think about it, you should probably NOT allow editing at all in this game. It is always easier to learn the hard way, and then relax the rules, than vice versa. This way, they won't get mod killed in a game for a small edit because they are used to it. Hard love. I believe in it.
Nah. Can't for the life of me get worked up about it and that means I would be horrible about enforcing it. They can get the hard love elsewhere, I think no editing for grammar rules are kinda dumb.

But when a wolf does make a big mistake (like rojo did in Infiltrated, I think?) they will edit it rules withstanding.

Reactions: 1 users
And I think it came up in the last game... didn't Trilt say there was like a 5 minute rule when editing that the forum wouldn't show a post had been edited?
Is that an actual thing or did I get caught up in another one of her lies?

And I think it came up in the last game... didn't Trilt say there was like a 5 minute rule when editing that the forum wouldn't show a post had been edited?
It's a thing.

I think Zen posted something incriminating meant for our wolf PMs in the game thread during Animorphs too, but she managed to catch it and edit it within about 1 minute. We were nervous that someone had seen it though. I remember the time it outed Rojo too. EvilSquirrel also posted something like 'we should kill XXX' in the game thread instead of wolf chat during our noob game but managed to play it off that she meant we should lynch XXX instead. It's definitely a thing...last time I was a wolf I made sure to never have my wolf PM and the game thread open at the same time so it didn't happen to me.

Yup. That's true. I'm sure the mods can probably see it though. If someone is a donor they can also delete posts.

Definitely. I do that all the time in non-WW threads when I need to edit grammar/phrasing or add something right after I posted. I wanna say Dy has mentioned something about mods being able to see all the edit history of a post? If so, then that 5-minute invisible-edit window couldn't be abused in no-edit WW games.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've Rojo'd hard before too. *Someone* will see it before you get the chance to edit, most of the time.

Definitely. I do that all the time in non-WW threads when I need to edit grammar/phrasing or add something right after I posted. I wanna say Dy has mentioned something about mods being able to see all the edit history of a post? If so, then that 5-minute invisible-edit window couldn't be abused in no-edit WW games.

Dy can see edited and deleted posts, but she's told us before she doesn't look at that during games, keeps the playing field even.

Reactions: 2 users
I've Rojo'd hard before too. *Someone* will see it before you get the chance to edit, most of the time.

Dy can see edited and deleted posts, but she's told us before she doesn't look at that during games, keeps the playing field even.
Y'all use that mechanism so incorrectly. You wait until someone who will actually believe that you posted by accident is watching the thread, briefly post something incriminating to a villager on the thread, remove said post within 30 seconds to increase believability that this is an accident, everyone gangs up on the person that actually believed STL in anyway shape or form, and unkillable villager dies. A la WW of WW :p

I think Zen posted something incriminating meant for our wolf PMs in the game thread during Animorphs too, but she managed to catch it and edit it within about 1 minute. We were nervous that someone had seen it though. I remember the time it outed Rojo too. EvilSquirrel also posted something like 'we should kill XXX' in the game thread instead of wolf chat during our noob game but managed to play it off that she meant we should lynch XXX instead. It's definitely a thing...last time I was a wolf I made sure to never have my wolf PM and the game thread open at the same time so it didn't happen to me.
Yeah. It was just after Lupin revealed her role. What's even funnier is that she posted about a minute before and after the incriminating post and didn't see it :laugh:. I got sooooo lucky.

It's a thing but I believe forum mods can still see those edits (so @dyachei can I'm pretty sure)

ETA: Should read the rest of the thread before posting :laugh:

Y'all use that mechanism so incorrectly. You wait until someone who will actually believe that you posted by accident is watching the thread, briefly post something incriminating to a villager on the thread, remove said post within 30 seconds to increase believability that this is an accident, everyone gangs up on the person that actually believed STL in anyway shape or form, and unkillable villager dies. A la WW of WW :p
Such a beautiful moment. Poor BI.

OK. If someone leaves the game before it starts will it be possible to get a PM? I don't want to miss it...

Noob Sign Ups:
1. n00bocyte
2. mmmdreamerz
3. SnowshoeDog
4. Karabiner13
5. LeTitsNow
6. Coopah
7. killerleaf
8. SkiOtter
9. cdoconn
10. Doctor-S
11. sheltermed
12. serher
13. TrashPanda
14. Animal Midwife
15. Raf2769
16. SARdoghandler
17. awesomenessity
18. jmo1012
19. hurtem&healem
20. Piggie
21. kittenmittens524
22.Bottle of Bear
23. LyraGardenia
24. wallydo

Waiting List/Substitutes
1. hygebeorht

Mentor Sign Ups
1. Lupin21
2. Kam325
3. Filly Bay
4. BBC
5. STL
6. SandstormDVM
7. Aloha
8. Finnick
9. PBC
10. MJ
11. Guisantes
12. Deva
13. Jil
14. WZ
15.Jayna
16. Gwenevre
17. Zensing
18. nyanko
19. Hmoo
20. Ashgirl
21. LotF
22. SOV
fin.

Waitlist/Backup Despite fin
(May not make it into the mentor chat)
1. KC
2. Rojo
3. Caiter

Noob Sign Ups:
1. n00bocyte
2. mmmdreamerz
3. SnowshoeDog
4. Karabiner13
5. LeTitsNow
6. Coopah
7. killerleaf
8. SkiOtter
9. cdoconn
10. Doctor-S
11. sheltermed
12. serher
13. TrashPanda
14. Animal Midwife
15. Raf2769
16. SARdoghandler
17. awesomenessity
18. jmo1012
19. hurtem&healem
20. Piggie
21. kittenmittens524
22.Bottle of Bear
23. LyraGardenia
24. wallydo

Waiting List/Substitutes
1. hygebeorht

Mentor Sign Ups
1. Lupin21
2. Kam325
3. Filly Bay
4. BBC
5. STL
6. SandstormDVM
7. Aloha
8. Finnick
9. PBC
10. MJ
11. Guisantes
12. Deva
13. Jil
14. WZ
15.Jayna
16. Gwenevre
17. Zensing
18. nyanko
19. Hmoo
20. Ashgirl
21. LotF
22. SOV
23. KC
24. Rojo
25. Caiter
etc

If you can't talk your way out of an accidental incriminating post, you don't deserve to wolf.
there's accidental incriminating posts, and then there is frank wolf chatter that was posted in the wrong thread.

I deleted mine before anyone but Caia who wasn't playing saw it, but then someone who was "following" the thread and getting email alerts got it emailed to them so it mattered not that I saw it and deleted the post within like 12 seconds

not to mention that i did it again like 3 minutes later.

A post like "We should kill dyachei tonight and convert LIS" is hard to talk your way out of.

But @StartingoverVet did talk his wife into getting lynched instead of him in my game, so :shrug:, guess i can't wolf as hard as SOV

I also love that, despite it being like 3 years into WW, and me clearly not being the first to do it, it is being referred to as "Rojo'ing" to out yourself in the main thread by accident. SMDH

Reactions: 10 users
I also love that, despite it being like 3 years into WW, and me clearly not being the first to do it, it is being referred to as "Rojo'ing" to out yourself in the main thread by accident. SMDH
Well, it was the first instance in some players' time playing WW. You should be honored, you have something named after you! :D

I think it was because when it happens to a n00b, people just roll their eyes. When it happens to a veteran player, it's highly amusing.

Reactions: 3 users
The one game when Jil was a wolf and no one would lynch her. :laugh: And Kam orchestrated a pretty awesome lynch before she went down as a wolf. There was a lot of craziness that game.

I was so sad because I was extremely hyped for a Pokemon game but ended up wolf-killed on like the first night, and had to miss out on the theme and all the craziness that followed. #bitter (that craziness did make for a super entertaining game to follow along with, at least!)

I was so sad because I was extremely hyped for a Pokemon game but ended up wolf-killed on like the first night, and had to miss out on the theme and all the craziness that followed. #bitter (that craziness did make for a super entertaining game to follow along with, at least!)
Ohhh were you a human character?

there's accidental incriminating posts, and then there is frank wolf chatter that was posted in the wrong thread.

I deleted mine before anyone but Caia who wasn't playing saw it, but then someone who was "following" the thread and getting email alerts got it emailed to them so it mattered not that I saw it and deleted the post within like 12 seconds

not to mention that i did it again like 3 minutes later.
I was wondering ...

Like many other individuals, I am not always able to immediately read email; and sometimes, I am not available to respond to any messages for many hours at a time.

For example, this past Saturday and Sunday, I was not online for the entire weekend.

So, with this in mind, do noobs need to be "glued" 24/7 to a pc or a smartphone (or whatever else) to properly play this game?

I was wondering ...

Like many other individuals, I am not always able to immediately read email; and sometimes, I am not available to respond to any messages for many hours at a time.

For example, this past Saturday and Sunday, I was not online for the entire weekend.

So, with this in mind, do noobs need to be "glued" 24/7 to a pc or a smartphone (or whatever else) to properly play this game?

Not 24/7, but if you want to play well, I'd check in maybe 3 times a day. Obviously that is sometimes easier said than done so once or twice will do. Keep in mind, the game has cycles.... day and night that may require action from you. During the day, you need to cast a lynch vote and at night you may have an item or an ability that you will have to PM the mod with what you want to do. You can place a contingency action for night or contingency lynch vote for day if you know you can't check in.

Reactions: 4 users
Not 24/7, but if you want to play well, I'd check in maybe 3 times a day. Obviously that is sometimes easier said than done so once or twice will do. Keep in mind, the game has cycles.... day and night that may require action from you. During the day, you need to cast a lynch vote and at night you may have an item or an ability that you will have to PM the mod with what you want to do. You can place a contingency action for night or contingency lynch vote for day if you know you can't check in.
Thanks for this information @DVMDream!

I just want to emphasize DVMD's point..... Especially if you have an ability for night, don't forget to plan for an action.

I have even sent very specific/complicated instructions to the mods if I am going to be unavailable. Obviously this is a last resort, but forgetting to perform your action really detracts from the game. When a mod designs a more complicated game she/he will normally assume abilities are used. When they are randomly forgotten, it really impacts the game sometimes. That is no bueno.

I just want to emphasize DVMD's point..... Especially if you have an ability for night, don't forget to plan for an action.

I have even sent very specific/complicated instructions to the mods if I am going to be unavailable. Obviously this is a last resort, but forgetting to perform your action really detracts from the game. When a mod designs a more complicated game she/he will normally assume abilities are used. When they are randomly forgotten, it really impacts the game sometimes. That is no bueno.
One of the most useful things I picked up from being on wolf chat from the last game was just how much complicated scheming was acceptable. If something isn't strictly forbidden by the game rules (as outlined by the mod at the start of the game), it's worth asking about. Worst case is that the answer is no, but them who don't ask, don't get.

Just went and read Pokemon. After 40-something pages the most important thing I got out of it is that I am making @dyachei 's mac&cheese recipe tomorrow. :)

Now back to exam studying
I'm fairly certain I still have at least a couple grey hairs from that game. Fun theme, great participants but never doing a game with so many moving parts again. I'm sure you understand from read-through. :p

One of the most useful things I picked up from being on wolf chat from the last game was just how much complicated scheming was acceptable. If something isn't strictly forbidden by the game rules (as outlined by the mod at the start of the game), it's worth asking about. Worst case is that the answer is no, but them who don't ask, don't get.
Plus, I like when people talk to me. Always good to amuse the mod.

Reactions: 1 users
Plus, I like when people talk to me. Always good to amuse the mod.
And loves to watch you slowly descend into madness

I'm fairly certain I still have at least a couple grey hairs from that game. Fun theme, great participants but never doing a game with so many moving parts again. I'm sure you understand from read-through. :p
This was me after STL and I did OITNB 2 and I had to run the game alone for a few days. We started with 40 players. NEVER AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.