1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Ladies....and gentlemen...I need some FASHION advice!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by amonkeybutt, Dec 3, 2001.

1. amonkeybutt

amonkeybutt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm wearing a black pant suit with black shimmering pinstripes to my interviews. i'm wondering if one would wear a plain button-down shirt (to be safe) or a blue one (i guess that's not too risky either) or a baby blue silky sort of shirt. i know this is SUCH A SILLY QUESTION but since i'm back-and-forth about it, i thought i would solicite some advice. thanks a bunch.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

What is your gender?

4. amonkeybutt

7+ Year Member

ooooooh, SMW, wouldn't you like to know ;) just kidding. i'm a female.

5. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

SMW - what a great question... :D

Anyway, as a guy, I will back away gracefully. Except to say that I think any one of the three would seem fine to me. But as a guy, I'm severly fashion impaired. ;)

I think as long as it's not too out there, it shouldn't have an impact on the interview. I've read in books that you should stick to dark blue/black/grey, but to me, that seems a little paranoid. I would say that none of the three would automatically disqualify you from medical school admissions.

My nicest suit happens to be green, and I plan on wearing it to my interviews. At least if I get rejected, I'll have something to blame it on.

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Personally I'd wear the silky blue shirt, but then again I've been the only one wearing red at my interviews so far (the shirt, not the suit). I don't think button-down goes with shimmering anything! Guess I should have known that a guy would never describe his suit as a "pant suit."

7. amonkeybutt

7+ Year Member

okay your turn SMW, what's your gender? anyhow, the shimmering isn't really that shocking. from far away you would think it's a pin-striped suit, close-up the stripes are made of shimmering fabric. i think it's pretty but i am still having two girlfriends and my mother come over to confirm that! :D

8. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Not again!! :rolleyes: Seriously, every week or so I have to reconfirm that I AM A WOMAN!!!! :D

9. Badgerbabe

Badgerbabe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Definitely the blue silky one. I found a gorgeous copper colored shantung silk shirt under my black (skirt) suit. I think its adds a little style without being out there.
    Good Luck!
    Shannon

10. jase133

jase133 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

brandonite: i think i will wear a green suit too this year and alternate it with the black one from last year (didn't get in with this one!). i will wear a white with the green and a dark blue shirt with the black. hehe...

11. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

We're rebels up here in Canada with our, get this, green suits, eh?

I think if you stick to the black/navy thing, then you'll blend into the crowd. As long as you're not too flashy, I don't think it should be a problem.

But I haven't been accepted anywhere, so I suppose that would have to be taken with a grain of salt. ;)

12. jase133

jase133 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hehe

i definitely think different is GOOD, but not TOO different.

besides, i looked "too young" in my black suit

14. jthorn1227

jthorn1227 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would wear whatever you're most comfortable. If it's your first interview, you might want to wear the "safe" shirt so that you can see what everyone else is wearing.
    I personally like to vary it up. Sometimes I wear a black skirt or pant suit. I also have a dark red/burgundy suit and sometimes I wear that or wear the jacket with black pants. As long as it is appropriate, just wear whatever you feel most comfortable (and confident) in!! :) Good luck!

15. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you have blue eyes--wear the baby blue sky; if you are Caucasian and have dark hair and brown eyes--wear the darker blue. But, if you have darker (like olive) skin, like Jennifer Lopez, then wear the baby blue.

16. amonkeybutt

7+ Year Member

thanks sooooooo much for all your helpful advice. i'm still deciding but i think baby blue is the winner. and i know "monkeybutt" is a little unusual but i like monkeys and i like butts so why not! :)