1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ladies....and gentlemen...I need some FASHION advice!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by amonkeybutt, Dec 3, 2001.

1. amonkeybutt

amonkeybutt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm wearing a black pant suit with black shimmering pinstripes to my interviews. i'm wondering if one would wear a plain button-down shirt (to be safe) or a blue one (i guess that's not too risky either) or a baby blue silky sort of shirt. i know this is SUCH A SILLY QUESTION but since i'm back-and-forth about it, i thought i would solicite some advice. thanks a bunch.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

What is your gender?

4. amonkeybutt

7+ Year Member

ooooooh, SMW, wouldn't you like to know ;) just kidding. i'm a female.

5. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

SMW - what a great question... :D

Anyway, as a guy, I will back away gracefully. Except to say that I think any one of the three would seem fine to me. But as a guy, I'm severly fashion impaired. ;)

I think as long as it's not too out there, it shouldn't have an impact on the interview. I've read in books that you should stick to dark blue/black/grey, but to me, that seems a little paranoid. I would say that none of the three would automatically disqualify you from medical school admissions.

My nicest suit happens to be green, and I plan on wearing it to my interviews. At least if I get rejected, I'll have something to blame it on.

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Personally I'd wear the silky blue shirt, but then again I've been the only one wearing red at my interviews so far (the shirt, not the suit). I don't think button-down goes with shimmering anything! Guess I should have known that a guy would never describe his suit as a "pant suit."

7. amonkeybutt

7+ Year Member

okay your turn SMW, what's your gender? anyhow, the shimmering isn't really that shocking. from far away you would think it's a pin-striped suit, close-up the stripes are made of shimmering fabric. i think it's pretty but i am still having two girlfriends and my mother come over to confirm that! :D

8. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Not again!! :rolleyes: Seriously, every week or so I have to reconfirm that I AM A WOMAN!!!! :D

9. Badgerbabe

Badgerbabe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Definitely the blue silky one. I found a gorgeous copper colored shantung silk shirt under my black (skirt) suit. I think its adds a little style without being out there.
    Good Luck!
    Shannon

10. jase133

jase133 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

brandonite: i think i will wear a green suit too this year and alternate it with the black one from last year (didn't get in with this one!). i will wear a white with the green and a dark blue shirt with the black. hehe...

11. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

We're rebels up here in Canada with our, get this, green suits, eh?

I think if you stick to the black/navy thing, then you'll blend into the crowd. As long as you're not too flashy, I don't think it should be a problem.

But I haven't been accepted anywhere, so I suppose that would have to be taken with a grain of salt. ;)

12. jase133

jase133 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hehe

i definitely think different is GOOD, but not TOO different.

besides, i looked "too young" in my black suit

14. jthorn1227

jthorn1227 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would wear whatever you're most comfortable. If it's your first interview, you might want to wear the "safe" shirt so that you can see what everyone else is wearing.
    I personally like to vary it up. Sometimes I wear a black skirt or pant suit. I also have a dark red/burgundy suit and sometimes I wear that or wear the jacket with black pants. As long as it is appropriate, just wear whatever you feel most comfortable (and confident) in!! :) Good luck!

15. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you have blue eyes--wear the baby blue sky; if you are Caucasian and have dark hair and brown eyes--wear the darker blue. But, if you have darker (like olive) skin, like Jennifer Lopez, then wear the baby blue.

16. amonkeybutt

7+ Year Member

thanks sooooooo much for all your helpful advice. i'm still deciding but i think baby blue is the winner. and i know "monkeybutt" is a little unusual but i like monkeys and i like butts so why not! :)