Ladies, What are you wearing to the interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went out and bought a pant suit ... thinking of the cooler months ahead!
But I've heard that women are expected (not required) to wear skirt suits etc...
Anybody know if that's true? ... for those of you who have already been to interviews (both guys and gals) what's everyone wearing.

Ooooh ... and ladies, are you all bringing a tote or some kinda carrier? :D

My brain tells me, technically your appearance should have no bearing on final decisions. strength of your file and character should ......... still I don't particularly want to stick out tooo much!
:D

Members don't see this ad.

The girls I saw...were split between skirts and pant suits...I would say it was maybe 75% skirt suits and 25% pants.
Personally, from a guy's perspective...I think the skirts looked better :)

I'm going out this weekend to buy a skirt suit this weekend for my first interview!!! I'm really excited. I've heard the same thing, that skirt suits are actually more formal than pants suits.

I was planning on bringing some kind of carrier device for all the things that others said to bring: umbrella, paper, breatmints, etc.

My friend just went on an interview yesterday, and she said some girls were super-casual (ie - no jackets, some not even wearing suits). Even though I rarely wear makeup, I guess this is a time where it's appropriate (and probably expected).

My worst enemies are my feet, and I hate wearing pumps! :mad: They kill my poor feet. does anyone have a suggestions on really comfty dress shoes that won't give you blisters within the first two hours??? Thanks.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have a suggestions on really comfty dress shoes that won't give you blisters within the first two hours??? Thanks

Try Easy Spirits.

I personally would like to see all you ladies in a skirt :cool: j/k
i spoke to one of my friends who goes to UCLA Medical School about this. she was saying that you have to wear a skirt. she had several good reasons: 1) the people you meet at the interviews are conservative who are used to skirts 2)elegant 3)men always like to see legs
I know all these reasons sound horrible, but F**K it. get into a school first.

I will be wearing a dark colored skirt(dark cranberry, with dark green print), white blouse and dark cranberry blazer. The skirt is long enough that I can wear my favorite black leather ankle boots. Small earrings, watch and conservative makeup. I am carrying with me my leather datetimer. It is big enough for touch makeup and a small mirror. Good luck to all.

I am wearing a charcoal Ann Taylor skirt suit, a nice sort-of golden/autumnal looking Banana Republic shirt, my faux black pearls, medium heeled black "croc" Aigner pumps and carrying a small black purse.
My personal opinion is that most women/ whatever the figure look better in a skirt suit. I've just seen too many black ill-fitting pantsuits on women taking med school tours.
Maybe appearence shouldn't matter but we all know that it does. I figure I have put so much work into this process, looking professional appropriate and attractive/well-put together at the interview can only help. It's all part of the total package you are presenting. Your clothes make a statement about you. ;)

CU in MD, since I know who you are and know you are male, I am laughing that you even checked out this thread! What possessed you to see what was going on in womenswear today?

Just kidding!

Hell..I am a male too and I was the first one to post on this :)
What does that say about me?
hahaha

You guys are welcome to join in as far as I am concerned. (As long as you behave! :) )

ScoobyDoo and C U in medschool,

:p :p :p :p !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's guys like you that some females have to flee from...!

;)

Flee from???

Hellz Nah..they run to me!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•Flee from???

Hellz Nah..they run to me!!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

I always knew you were a playa :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I give up.

First off, maybe it's an age thing. Residency interviews -- generally seems to be a pretty 50/50 even split for girls between pantsuits and skirt suits. Some people I know who were on the residency trail last year say it's even closer to 60/40, pantsuits in the majority. I can see how women in their late 20's may potentially be more comfortible with themselves and bucking the "assumed status quo" than women in their early 20's.

Second, I tour guide at a med school -- I have numerous friends (both students and faculty) on the AdComm. It's a school that probably has a reputation (whether deserved or not) of being conservative. I brought up the subject of interview attire one time, specifically skirts vs. pants for women, and everyone seemed completely bewildered -- I don't think any of the interviewers even remembered what the interviewees were wearing, unless it was obviously inappropriate for the occasion, like a big swastika earring from one ear or something.

Anyways, if there is one thing that I would really like applicants to remember this year it would be girls don't have to wear skirt suits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I feel like there is so much misinformation out there about what you have to do. Guess what, a pantsuit or skirt suit is not going to keep you out of med school. Rather, you can keep yourself out of med school. If you have friends that are blaming their past rejections on choice of interview attire, they're too cowardly to attack the real reason behind their rejection.

The key point is to look professional while still wearing whatever is the most flattering for yourself.

Okay, getting off my soapbox. :rolleyes:

Agreed Lily!

heck, I didnt even wear a jacket to any of my interviews - keep in mind, it WAS Tx in august/early september. Just look professional - no jeans, khakis etc, and wear a buttoned blouse. I wore black pantsuit pants, a nice long sleeved shirt (w/white collars and cuffs for a bit of flair), and a black and silver paisley vest. I didnt wear hose, I didnt wear pumps - after my 1st fiasco in dress boots, I went to Wal-mart and bought a pair of black suede clogs with rubber soles. Nice looking, but SOOO much more comfy. I also wore my hair in a ponytail so I didnt have to carry a brush. It was fine. The most important thing in interviews is this: BE YOURSELF. Look professional, but BE YOURSELF. If you're uncomfortable in your clothes, it'll show and probably come across as extreme nervousness. ANyways. Good luck

Star

Skirt suit or pant suit..whichever you prefer. But I strongly believe that both men and women should wear business attire, and this means a suit, whether you like it or not. Just because some women have gotten admission wearing something else doesn't make it appropriate or wise. Being appropriately attired shows respect for the process and the profession you are trying to enter. Break down and buy a suit- you are not in high school anymore. Some of these descriptions I have been reading over the past few months about what some women have worn/plan to wear frankly have made me shudder. Do you really think you will see any male applicants who are wearing anything other than a suit? They would look like foolish boys if they weren't. We women should have the same standards of professionalism. It assists in setting a tone that we are to be taken seriously.

Originally posted by quaileggs:
•Skirt suit or pant suit..whichever you prefer. But I strongly believe that both men and women should wear business attire, and this means a suit, whether you like it or not. Just because some women have gotten admission wearing something else doesn't make it appropriate or wise. Being appropriately attired shows respect for the process and the profession you are trying to enter. Break down and buy a suit- you are not in high school anymore. Some of these descriptions I have been reading over the past few months about what some women have worn/plan to wear frankly have made me shudder. Do you really think you will see any male applicants who are wearing anything other than a suit? They would look like foolish boys if they weren't. We women should have the same standards of professionalism. It assists in setting a tone that we are to be taken seriously.•

Actually, what concerns me much more is the inappropriate behavior exhibited at some of these interviews. These kids can be wearing Armani and Donna Karan, but if they act completely inappropriate, it doesn't matter -- they're still not getting in.

Whether we ladies wear pants or dresses or a skirt, the main point should be WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lilycat,
WHat do you mean by innappropriate behavior? What have you seen so far?
Any good stories? :)

Ladies looking for comfy dress shoes, go with naturalizer! They are absolutley great. I wear a size 11 (no joke) and even finding a pump to go with my suit (sea green skirt suit for those who are counting) was a nightmare. The pair I found were more comfortable than some sneakers I have had in the past.

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•Lilycat,
WHat do you mean by innappropriate behavior? What have you seen so far?
Any good stories? :)

I could give specifics, but I don't think it's appropriate on a public BB. Let's just say that if people here are shocked by girls wearing business casual, they might drop down and faint at how some people choose to act and carry themselves during the interview process. What might be appropriate at a bar with friends is not appropriate during tours, speeches from students and administration, and meet-and-greet events.

I just wanted to say good luck to all of the women who are going through all of this! I know it is a pain, but it is worth it in the end!

I am a female currently in my second year of residency. I went to 25 interviews for 3 specialties (surgical subspecialty and non-surgical specialties) - because I could not make up my mind (that's another story!) :)

For most of those interviews I had 2 dress suits that I alternated. They were essentially heavy cotton tank dresses that had blazers to wear over them. I can't tell you how comfortable they were to wear and so easy to manage! I did wear VERY comfortable heels, even so my feet did kill me! :) During the winter months, I was FREEZING! And I wished so much at the time that I had pantsuits! It really does not make a difference. I interviewed applicants last year for our residency program and we (the admissions committee) really did not care unless the person really did not make an effort.

Anyway, I would just like to re-iterate previous posts that stated that you should look professional, but be comfortable as well. (You will be more relaxed if you do not constantly have to adjust your clothing! :))

I hope this helps!
Good luck again to all of you - believe me all of the fuss is worth it!

Take care...

--Interesting point, lilycat... I agree. Attire is irrelevant if accompanied by stupid and immature behavior.

I'm very shocked that many students do not conduct themselves in a professional manner. How on earth could they go to a medical school interview, the most important part of the process, and NOT conduct themselves as mature, professional individuals? That baffles me completely.

Professional business attire is black, navy blue or gray skirt or pant suit. That is what I would wear anyway. Why take a chance with adcomms by wearing something liberal?

God bless,
Alicia

As others have said, I think that as long as you are comfortable and in business dress it doesn't really matter.

If you rarely wear a skirt (like me and maybe Scooby) then you might feel very awkward in one on your interview day. With the stress of the interview do you want to be worrying about whether your legs are crossed or whether your hose has run. On the other hand, if you wear skirts and dresses often and you feel more confident in them - go for it.

I have a very formal looking double-breasted navy pants suit. I've had great luck in it with job interviews, and I feel very confident while wearing it.

A few years ago I was looking for a job and I met with an executive recruiter. He actually chastised me at our meeting because I didn't look professional enough. I still remember some of the advice he gave me - wear a watch or people will think that you are too flaky to pay attention to the time, get rid of your backpack and get a nice black folder to put copies of your resume in, don't bring that empty coffee cup into our meeting, you should have thrown it away before you came in here, you should have anticipated some of these questions I am asking you and already had answers (questions like, tell me about your skills, why are you looking for a job in this field, etc.) I thought he was a jerk, and he never did find me anything.

He did help in one way, though. When I'm preparing for an interview, I feel that I have a concrete list of tasks to do - have my suit cleaned, find my watch, print out my resume and put it in my folder, look up information on the company, think of some questions to ask, think of answers to basic questions. I doubt that any interviewer really cares whether or not I have a watch on, but when I walk into an interview, I feel that I have all my t's crossed and i's dotted because I've taken care of all the things on my list. I feel more confident and I think that shows.

This was long winded, but my point is this: I don't think your dress will directly effect your admissions i.e. she wore pants and I hated her yellow blouse - she's outta here. But if you find an outfit that makes you feel like a million bucks (skirt, pants, whatever just professional), you will hold your head higher and speak with more confidence and that may effect your chances on admission.

Originally posted by punkin2:

If you rarely wear a skirt (like me and maybe Scooby

I should hope Scooby isn't wearing too many skirts since he's male! If he is, then, med school admissions is the least of his worries. LOL.

I've been to two interviews so far. I would recommend wearing a suit, mainly because 95% of the people will be wearing suits and you might get flustered or uncomfortable if you think your attire is not appropriate (even if the interviewers don't care).

I bought a navy pantsuit w/ a short jacket at Casual Corner for $150. I am not a skirt person. I wore my hair down (although I did blow-dry it), and no makeup (because I never wear makeup). Also, no kidding about the comfortable shoes. If you must wear pumps, tuck a pair of flats in your bag for the tours or you will be sorry! As far as what to carry, I brought a leather bag/briefcase thing with my extra shoes, hose, umbrella, book, etc. I also brought a leather folder. I took the folder and my purse to the interviews and left the bag in the "home base" room. People have all kinds of stuff with them, including luggage, so don't worry about the bag you bring. Just have something nice to carry to the interview.

Good luck everyone!

hi spacecadet!
it was great meeting you in houston this weekend :). To reiterate what people have said for the guys, I would say just relax and pick up a conservative dark suit and tie. This topic isn't so complicated. Everyone will wear dark suits. I had a dark olive green suit that looked ok even though it wasnt black or navy. just conform on the dresscode. that's the best way!

Thank you all for your input. I've found it really really helpful and comforting. :D
I'm off to find comfy shoes now ... hope I find something!

I'd like to wish each and everyone of you lots of luck through this process.

And Scrubs ... I'm glad to know everything we go through is worth it. :D

Just a quick question. I have a black pantsuit, which I am definitely comfortable in. However, the collared shirt I usually wear with it (white) is not comfy for me. So, I bought a white turtleneck sweater that is rather dressy. Do you think this is appropriate? I know I'll be more comfortable, and I definitely agree with holding your head high. Thanks!

Well you know...sometimes a skirt just let's me feel free and all....Though I don't wear one that often...I would recommend breaking it in the night before... heheh :)

***I hope you note the sarcasm***
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

I can see myself freezing if I don;t wear a pant suit. I haven't been to any interview, and still have a few years.

What sort of shoes are appropriate? Obviously dress shoes, probably black. But can they be flat with laces? (still nice looking). I'm sooooo used to nothing but sneakers. yeah easy spirit and few others (like the new ones i bought but can't remember brand name of) are comfty. But if some thing is a high healed, even a little, i'm not comfortable. I know, i need to them, but are flat "complete" (with laces and all) shoes fine?

Sonya -- I'm assuming you're referring to an Oxford style of shoe -- that should be fine, as long as you stick to leather or suede/suede-type. You could also consider loafers -- they usually have fairly low-heeled dressy ones all over the place this time of year.

All this talk of what to wear / NOT wear is bringing out the rebel in me. I wonder how often people STREAK their interviewers. :D

Call me crazy, but has anyone ever asked his/her fellow interviewee for a date during the interview process? I am writing secondaries right now, but this notion is romantic don't ya think?

From a guy perspective, I love skirts! NOT the super short ones!!! :)

I'm so glad I read this thread because I started to think about actually being comfortable during interviews and decided not to wear heels. :)

Drako,

I met one girl who I thought was beautiful at one of my interviews...The romantic thought crossed my mind...but ah...what's a poor sap to do?

I heard a story from an adcom member about an interviewee who asked his student INTERVIEWER out during the interview. Very bad move.

What about long-sleeved vs. short-sleeved skirt suits? I wore a short-sleeved one for my interview in late August, but what about for interviews in October?

only sort of related, but...

I had a fun interview a couple of years ago where I had the pleasure of meeting the best friend of the GIRLFRIEND of the guy I was seeing(at least thought that I was seeing)! :mad: Choking down the rest of that lunch was a whole lot of fun.
No more dating med students for me :D

bee :eek:

Since when does money has anything to do with Love? Someone once told me that it is not the handsome dude that gets the girl, but the dude with the thickest skin.

Just a tip for the ladies - bring an extra pair of pantyhose - you never know when you may get a run. Along with that, I also carry clear nail polish with me, so to stop the progression of one (ooooh how poetic ) :D

I'm glad I found this thread.

EXCELLENT info!

To what I have been told it is probably better to wear a skirt suit. I personally wore pants because it was winter and my interview(s) were up North. Almost All the females I saw were also were wearing pants. But to be honest, I would wear a skirt because med schools are just too damn conservative! Actually let me recant that for a second....WEAR WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH and what you personally look best in.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR INTERVIEW!! (very exciting:) )