Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Ladies, What kind of bags or business cases are you gonna carry to the interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ccss, Nov 14, 2002.

1. ccss

ccss Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok, so ladies, What kind of bags/ business case/ or nice looking leather binders are you gonna carry to the interview? Obviously , you want to look professional and formal. Any advice is great

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. galen

galen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

ha ha--I already asked this ques (on page 21 of DW's affirm action thread) just a few days ago.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4. ShortStuff

ShortStuff a trueblue spitfire
    7+ Year Member

i am going to take a leather bound folder thingy that has by school logo on the front. It is nice looking and has plenty of room for papers and has a pad of paper in it. I am just going to carry a purse then -- I think it might be good to try and avoid big shoulder bags b/c then you are just huffing around with it....

what about suits? I have always heard skirts over pants (which i don't really like or agree with but whatever) so i am going navy i think and pretty conservative.....any other thoughts??

5. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey
    7+ Year Member

I am going to bring a black leather portfolio and my coach palm organizer. It is very professional. No purse for me.

I'm going to look for a canary yellow blouse this weekend to go with my black suit!!!! I don't want to wear my white one or I will feel like I'm going to a funeral.

6. holler79

holler79 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

For my interviews I held a black leather portfolio binder thing and I wore a black Kate Spade medium size purse.

7. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a dark brown leather portfolio and smallish black purse I carry. Be careful about being show-offy w/ brand names. Don't want to risk looking tacky or materialistic. That's what I was told by a friend who now goes to UCLA med.

Btw, there's nothing wrong w/ a black suit and a white shirt!

8. CAC

CAC Member
    7+ Year Member

Khaki-ish or a putty-ish (a lighter colored!) pant suit with a white button up colored shirt. I had a leather portfolio that fit nicely into my black Kate Spade (holler79, I share your taste in purses!).

9. LoveDoc

7+ Year Member

The word COACH is this small. I don't think they will notice. Only those women who are equally materialistic will notice.

10. nina512

nina512 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree with PrincessCKNY, don't want to appear too materialistic.

I'd love to use the interview as an excuse to by the coach bag I've been eyeing, but what if they ask you about the money, and you say that the money isn't important while you're sporting your gucci or prada bag. It's sorta like setting yourself up to look like a hypocrite. (My mom gave me that advice)

I just chose carefully, and found a bag with minimal product advertisement. THe one I'm using is a slim black leather shoulder bag big enough to put papers, dental floss, deoderant, and a toothbrush. Very functional, very stylish, but not bulky.

BTw, so other people are wearing light colored suits?

11. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

ME too..I am buying a nice navy blue/red pinstripe skirt suit, with a nice red cuffed shirt underneath. I aslo heard that skirt suits are preffered, not sure why? I also have a nice black one with nice detail on the cuffs and buttons, super cute:clap:

Just remember to be comfortbale in whatever your wearing and that it you can be yourself and reperesnt. THere is nothing worse than someone pulling and tugging at their outfit all day long or while in an interview. If it doens't feel right, don't wear it.
    My $.02

12. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm taking a chance here, but I want to resurrect the old pant suit vs. skirt suit debate.
    Now keep in mind, I am not a female.
    but I think most women look better, and more professional in a pant suit.
    on top of that, as I see it, a skirt suit reinforces the gender difference between men and women, while a pant suit merely says "I'm not wearing a tie." Not that it makes a huge difference...
    On top of that I dont buy the argument of skirt suits being more formal. I was an Ibanker for two years. A ton of female interviewees wore pants skirts. Working at the Ibank, even in the most formal meetings, I rarely saw females in skirt suits.
    I say let go of the skirt suits, rock the pants suits with style!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

13. ShortStuff

7+ Year Member

if you were a girl you would understand better :) no offense. I think you are right that skirt suits look better/just a professional and trust me If I was 100% sure that everyone agreed with us i would wear one. But what if I interview with some old codger who thinks that women should be in skirts. Well, yeah he sucks but I don't want him deciding that is why I don't get in to medical school.

I forgot who asked about light colored suits but I am wearing a navy suit with a tan and navy silk shirt underneath.

good luck to all the hopeful lady docs!

14. allykaym

allykaym Junior Member

I'm wearing a black pinstripe skirt suit with a white shirt underneath- I thought it would be safest to look conservative- and I'm going to carry a black over-the-shoulder bag (with a flap that folds over the front- big enough to carry my portfolio thingy and some extras, sort of a nicer version of a messenger bag) since I don't have a sizable black purse...

15. Arginine

Arginine happiest of amino acids
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm wearing a tailored black wool jacket with black silk pants, accompanied by a black leather tote bag that is rectangular like a briefcase, but it weighs less and has shoulder straps like a purse. Big enough to fit my clipboard, folder, wallet, etc. I just don't feel as comfortable wearing a skirt suit. So far at interviews I've seen half the women in skirts and the other half in pants.

16. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think I am going to carry a brown lunch sack with me. I think it looks professional, yet not pretentious.

~AS1~

17. ccss

ccss Member
    7+ Year Member

18. Exene

Exene Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

On my last interview, I knew I wanted to change into my interviewin' shoes at the last possible moment, so I had to find a bag that would accommodate them. Being a bagoholic, I was determined not to drop another chunk of change on yet another bag, but nothing I already had would fit the bill. So I scoured thrift stores and eventually found a pretty cool-looking blue briefcase for $1.99. I shoe-polished it up real nice, and felt super bad ass having saved a bunch of money.

Then, on the way to the airport, a chain of events too horrible to revisit here caused me to be incredibly late. "Girlfriend, you better RUN," said the lady at the check-in desk. Run I did, tragically all the way down the WRONG TERMINAL (that the check-in lady said was the right one :mad: ). Minutes to spare, I sprinted through the airport, sweating and panting, at a full-throttle panic. Of course, my cheap-ass briefcase chose that moment to lose an entire side, sending all the contents flying out and one of my interviewin' shoes skidding into a C Terminal Cinnabon. "M**********R!," I shouted, scandalizing some girls' sports team buying cinnamon rolls. Briefcase's missing side recovered, the whole mess clamped under my arm, I barely made it onto my plane, and had to stick all the loose contents into the overhead bin because my seat was in the front row.

The moral of the story: I suck.

19. LoveDoc

7+ Year Member

i'm a non-trad. i drive a luxury suv...should i park that in the back corner and cover it with a car cover? i hope we don't have to drive to lunch. i may be sited. i'm re-thinking just bringing the coach palm organizer..also considering the coach purse.

no seriously...i'm almost 30 and have accumulated a lot stuff!!!! but i will give it all up to pursue my vision of being a doctor.

uhm...what are women doing about their feet? heels all day...we have a luncheon and reception scheduled. do i need to pre-soak my feet? heheh

:mad:

20. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Ahhh, New York people...conformity in Kate Spade bags... ;) (even at Yankee Stadium while wearing hooded sweatshirts...)

21. wannabedoc81

wannabedoc81 Member
    7+ Year Member

black and white Gucci all the way...

22. PrincessCKNY

7+ Year Member

Exene: That is wrong on so many levels. Sorry that happened to you. I probably would have cried.

LoveDoc: No need to soak. Just break in/test out your shoes at home for a day to see if you can last a day in them. I've gone through 2 pairs of shoes that KILLED my feet. I just bought another pair that will hopefully be comfortable and dressy enough. Think COMFORT.

Skirt vs. pants: In general, the east coast seems more conservative. So, I wore a skirtsuit to my first interview. (I chose a black Ann Taylor suit w/ an eggshell-ish shirt on inside) I wasn't particularly fond of a skirtsuit, but I wore it anyways. To make a story short, my pantyhose gave out on me and I spent the entire day tugging at those darn things trying to keep them from falling around my ankles. In addition, I was hobbling around in painful shoes to boot. This made it really difficult to get around during the tours. So, for the rest of my interviews, I switched to pants (I bought both for the convenience of choosing skirt or pants) and I felt way more relaxed and like myself and I think it was reflected in the interviews.

Bottom line: go w/ whatever makes you feel comfortable. Wherever you go, you will not be the only one wearing [fill in the blank]. The more comfortable you are the better your interview will be. I have a friend that wore a purple suit to her interviews and has already been accepted to Pritzker.

I've always thought it was funny how the schools emphasize wanting to get to know you and your personality, and yet we are forced to wear stuffy suits. I know it's probably to see if we can be mature, professional, etc. I say we interview in shorts and a tshirt. :)

23. saiyagirl

saiyagirl Guest

what pantyhose do you wear with skirt suits? nude? black?
    ps: does ann taylor sell suit sets (the jacket, the skirt, AND the pants?)

24. PrincessCKNY

7+ Year Member

I wore nude. My sister works for some white collar corporation and said that black would also look professional. Personally, I thought it was too much black. I didn't want to look like those Riverdance people. Plus, my legs are skinny enough as it is and wearing black hose would make them look like ugly toothpicks.

Ann Taylor is great because you can mix and match whatever you like. You just need to make sure that all the pieces (jacket, skirt, and pants) are the same shade and same material. You don't want one piece to be a weird shiny black and the other a dull black. Just ask a sales rep to help you out and they will wait on you hand and foot...it was awesome...felt like Pretty Woman. However, my suit cost a pretty penny ($200+), but I'm pretty much wearing it to all of my interviews, so I think it's worth it.

Another thing I noticed when interviewing: most of the girls have nice coats to wear over their suit for the winter. I pretty much froze my butt off during the tours, so I went out and got a nice coat at Petite Sophisticate (they're having a sale now!).

Hope this helps.

25. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm sorry, but I had to laugh out loud. LMAO!! :laugh: :laugh: That's so funny. But I'm a bag nut too, and I bought like 3 different bags for the same suit because I was so concerned about whether they'd fit everything I needed to carry. But your story is so damn funny. At least you made it to your flight, and it's over.

My bag had so many compartments in it that I thought I'd lost my train ticket to NYC. The guy who takes the tickets just stood there for five minutes waiting while I frantically rummaged thru the bag, emptied it in front of him, found the ticket, and handed it to him with a sigh of relief. I was so scared he'd just throw me off the train somewhere in Pennsylvania!

Oh, and the hose thing. I look good with hose, but I lost my good pair on the trip to NYMC, and only had a really crummy old other pair which I ended up having to wear. All thru the tour, the tops gave out, and kept falling around my ankles, and I kept stopping and trying to pull them up. I bet I looked like a 2-bit hoe with those old things all swamped around my ankles. :(+pissed+

26. Exene

Exene Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I kept it together during the whole ordeal, but when I finally collapsed into my airplane seat and smelled the sketchy, fat old man next to me, I almost lost it completely. But my story does support the change-into-comfortable-shoes school of thought- in my four-inch heels, I never would have made the plane!

And CKNY, you're lucky to live in NY where the Ann Taylor salesgirls actually have a sense of style. Here in NM, their taste can NOT be trusted!

27. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Exene, that's truly a horror story. I hope the interview itself went well.

As for me, I hate carrying a purse. It feels like a ball and chain to me, and I totally envy the fact that men can just carry these little wallet things, and also that their clothes are generally designed to fit loosely enough that they can carry it in a pocket without it showing.

It REALLY annoys me to have to carry both a purse and a bag to carry things too big for the purse. So a year and a half ago when I had a job with an actual dress code, I bought a nice black nylon soft-sided briefcase. It was a little expensive, because the details were exactly right. But I've never regretted buying it. It's very practical and professional looking, and doesn't have a flashy name-brand on it--nor is the style identifiably that of a big name designer. So I carry it instead of a purse at work, and I plan to use it for my interviews as well.

If I ever get any, that is. :(

28. LoveDoc

7+ Year Member

ok...i changed my mind. i'm carrying a purse. wow these threads are persuasive.

:eek:

29. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Ouch! That's twice now that someone has said something that sounds awfully catty and directed at me. What's with all the hate? :confused:

30. PrincessCKNY

7+ Year Member

I actually live in California, but have been obsessed w/ NY since I was in high school. We have an Ann Taylor outlet out here and it is amazing. I don't rely on salesgirls to help me w/ the style part of it, but they have more experience in the suit department than I do. For example, I know what styles I like and look good on me, but I never would have known to check for differences in shade and material.

31. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i bought a suit from ann taylor a few years ago and really like it. when i went to look for another suit this year, i was pretty disappointed with ann taylor. maybe it was just the petites section, but i didn't think they had many nice suits this season.

32. ShortStuff

7+ Year Member

I have had a lot of luck with Jones New York Petite stuff. I am short (hence my screen name) and I think it is sometimes hard to find things that don't have waistbands up to my chin! Anyway, they have some cute stuff.

THe suit that I bought for my interview is a navy and i have a kind of sassy navy and tan silk shirt that has a little tie thingy on it for underneath. I am goign with nude hose and ninewest navy heals that have a strap across the front (kind of mary janie but not really).

My first interview is on wensday and I am pscyhed lets up the hose hold up!

33. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i agree that jones new york has nice petite suits. unfortunately i couldn't find much in the department stores around here and didn't feel like driving to the outlet malls. i went to two macy's & they had the most hideous suits in their petites section. maybe the nice ones were all picked over or something, but the ones left looked like they were for old ladies. i ended up getting an ann klein suit (black w/ white pinstripes) at nordstrom which i am pretty happy about.

i'm still not sure what to do about a bag. i think my mom has a sort of briefcase/portfolio that i might ask to borrow. otherwise i will have to buy one i suppose. i have looked at ross and marshall's but can't seem to find one, and i hate to pay a lot for bags/purses.

34. LoveDoc

7+ Year Member

Samoa...We love you. Your name makes me think of coconuts and chocolate.

:love:

35. ::Seabass::

::Seabass:: bringing burkas back!
    7+ Year Member

I took a leather folder thing and my normal, everyday black leather purse. I think i am going to forgo the folder from now on because they give you so much crap anyways.

a larger bag might be good for interviews where they tell you to bring a change of shoes for the tours. I just carried mine because I knew I was first going to a big holding room where I could leave them for the day.

36. Carbon

Carbon I saved your life.

Attending Physician
    Hey kids... I wear a black pants suit with a long suit jacket, grey shirt underneath. I think that for all the moving around we do in the interviews and tours, it's better to be in pants. It's a lot easier to transition between sit and stand without worry when you're in pants. My humble opinion only, of course.
    +pissed+ I want to HEAR something from someone, dammit! My application is complete everywhere and I've only had one invitation to interview (at Nevada) out of 18 schools! Grr!
    Kisses,
    Carbon

37. Carbon

Carbon I saved your life.

Attending Physician
    Hey kids... I got a really nice slim portfolio at Wilson's leather. Black. Holds the info I need for the interview, a slim wallet, and not much else. That's all I carried in to the interview with me, and I was glad I didn't have a ton of stuff to gather together. Shoes: I have boots with 4" heels I got at Bloomie's... they look very nice under the pantsuit. :)
    *hugs and love*
    Carbon

'carbon-made found her at the end of a chain/time to race she said/race the downhill/behind crystalline irises/loons can dive/where the world bleeds white/just keep your eyes on her'
    --Tori Amos, Carbon

38. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

bumpity for the ladies :D

39. MeowMix

MeowMix Explaining "Post-Call"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OK, I am prepared to be the token female fashion disaster. I am going to wear very comfortable clothes that I would actually wear at some other point in my life. I had a beautifully cut, skirted interview suit for undergrad that I used for many interviews over the years, but I never wore it for anything else and I never want to buy a $400 suit again. To hell with it.

And I'm not going to wear a skirted suit to an interview in Minnesota in the winter.

I have very nice, very comfortable shoes that I can wear all day at the clinic. I'm going to wear those.

Then again, I might wear golden slippers with sequins on them and a glittery tiara with a big fake diamond on it.

40. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually bought this cute black swiss army briefcase. It has a bunch of compartments and I'm hoping it keeps me organized :). I've never had a purse (!!!), and I feel uncomfortable enough in a suit (i'm a jeans person), so I think adding a purse would just make it worse. God, why can't we just wear jeans and tees to interviews? I mean, don't they want to know the REAL me? I mean seriously, does the color pantyhose I wear really say something about what kind of doctor i'd be? :)

- Quid

41. daktar

daktar Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i'll go with the bag that matches whatever head wrap i decide to wear that day...

42. HKDO08

HKDO08 Ivan the Terrible
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is kind of on the same subject...well not really. ;)

I will be needing to wear black shoes with my pant suit. Can anyone recommend comfortable nice looking ladies shoes?? I have really wimpy feet! :oops:

43. ma-bas

ma-bas Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Try aerosoles. No joke. Apparently they have begun knocking off Marc Jacobs shoes and making them comfy.