LADIES! What to wear at interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms. Lippy

Makin sure kids play nice
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. So what to do when it's real cold. Are pant suits really all that wrong!!!??
Boots?? PLease be specific. Paying dress up is hard. Can't wait to throw on the scrubs. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Ms. Lippy said:
Ok. So what to do when it's real cold. Are pant suits really all that wrong!!!??
Boots?? PLease be specific. Paying dress up is hard. Can't wait to throw on the scrubs. ;)

Last week every single woman who interviewed at the cold weather med school where I am was wearing a black pantsuit. Not that it needs to be black... the week before I had one woman wearing gray pinstripes (but a very feminine cut).

Boots with a little heel would be great. I must say, I didn't really notice their shoes.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So far all my interviews have been down south, but if I get a northern winter interview I plan on wearing my skirt suit, with a light cashmere sweater under the jacket, heavier stockings and a nice warm wool coat . . . I don't stop wearing skirts for the winter so I don't see how this could be any different. But a skirt suit works more as a power suit for me, whatever you will feel confident in is what you should wear.

I vote for nothing. But then again, I'm a sick, twisted, demented freak. sorry. :(

jbone said:
I vote for nothing. But then again, I'm a sick, twisted, demented freak. sorry. :(
Nothing? :eek: Well that's just crazy! I vote for assless chaps and a cowboy hat. If it's cold I guess you can wear nipple covers, but make sure they have the tassels on them (you wouldn't want to go dressed down). You'll be a huge hit, adcoms love when interviewees play dress-up :thumbup: .

At my last 2 interview, both in 30 degree weather, I was one of the only girls in a skirt suit. So pants are definately fine, I just love my skirt suit.

However, next week I plan on wearing a pants suit to my NYMC interview. If it happens to snow, you do not want to be walking around in high heels outside. It is very dangerous and will mess up your shoes...So my advice, if there is a chance of snow & tours go outside, wear a pants suit with nice boots.

Otherwise, skirt is fine, just made my legs a little bit cold.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Nothing? :eek: Well that's just crazy! I vote for assless chaps and a cowboy hat. If it's cold I guess you can wear nipple covers, but make sure they have the tassels on them (you wouldn't want to go dressed down). You'll be a huge hit, adcoms love when interviewees play dress-up :thumbup: .
That's what I'm talking about. :p :laugh: :thumbup:

I'd go with whatever makes u feel the most comfortable because that's what's going to matter the most.

DON'T wear hoop earrings and a necklace with a big metal pendent like one girl at my last interview...it's not very professional, she looked more like she was interviewing for a job at Express.

Wear a silk thong.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe add a whip or something to get slight S&M theme going on too :eek:
Take control of the interview process.

Members don't see this ad :)
nimotsu said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe add a whip or something to get slight S&M theme going on too :eek:
Take control of the interview process.
yeah, I thought about that, but I figured carrying a whip around all day would be cumbersome considering all the papers and folders they give you. Oh and to the OP, disregard the strange looks you get from the other interviewees. They're just jealous because they didn't think of such a fashionable and classy outfit. You know how gunners are :rolleyes:

Thank you for the advice. For some reason the folks at Kaplan think it's "daring" to wear pant suits.

To all of you creative minds w/ the smarty pants remarks, if you are as sexy as that chick in Texas, feel free to wear your suggestions. I will keep MY ass covered. :eek:

Chinorean said:
DON'T wear hoop earrings and a necklace with a big metal pendent like one girl at my last interview...it's not very professional, she looked more like she was interviewing for a job at Express.

You have Express too? I thought it was just a Canadian thing. Damn I hate those bastards. You're like on a leash with that place.

jbone said:

Call me.

Ms. Lippy said:
Thank you for the advice. For some reason the folks at Kaplan think it's "daring" to wear pant suits.

To all of you creative minds w/ the smarty pants remarks, if you are as sexy as that chick in Texas, feel free to wear your suggestions. I will keep MY ass covered. :eek:

the folks at kaplan are on crack! pantsuits are totally acceptable, and i think that if it's cold enough and possibly snowing, very nice, clean, dressy black boots are fine too. just make sure there are no scuffs, and no dirt or grass stuck to the heels or anything. they won't be impressed by you shivering in a short skirt and stilettos!

i thought wearing boots under a skirt to med schools interviews was a big no-no? (looks unprofessional?)
which i didn't think so until i read opinions on these boards a few months ago.

bubbleyum said:
i thought wearing boots under a skirt to med schools interviews was a big no-no? (looks unprofessional?)
which i didn't think so until i read opinions on these boards a few months ago.

oooh no, i didn't mean to imply boots + skirts = ok! bad bad idea! boots and pants, or skirts and non-boots...but not crazy spiky heels, just something classy and comfortable!

Something that shows off your cleavage. (If you have some good goods to show off.)

Ms. Lippy said:

Ok, sorry I was just kidding. I wore pants suits to all my interviews. I got a really nice one from Banana Republic and I had a few nice blouses to go with them. Pants suits are nice and really professional; they aren't "daring" or too flashy. Try to get something that picks up the color of your skin. I have dark brown skin with redish undertones so I wore a blouse that was a brownish-pink color. It really brought out my tone and I got lost of compliments. People say how you look during an interview doesn't matter, but I beg to differ. It's always nice when you can tell your interviewer thinks you're hot. Good luck and congrats on the interviews :luck:

What about hair? Should long hair be pulled back in a bun? Is leaving hair down taboo?! What if it's nicely clipped back so it doesn't cover the face?

wear your hair how you are most comfortable. i left it down for a couple of interviews and it was fine. but i play with it sometimes so i think i was better off when it was up.

really. it doesn't matter what you wear or how your hair is as long as you look clean.

For the hair- be prepared to put it up in case it decides to do something funky that morning. Or if it's really windy out.

The other day after I dried my hair w/the hotel hairdryer it was soooooooo static-y... good thing I brought hairspray to calm it down!

Okay, what about pantyhose with skirts? If you're wearing a black skirt suit, would black or nude hose be better? Any comments about purses versus portfolios?

georgiapeachmd said:
Okay, what about pantyhose with skirts? If you're wearing a black skirt suit, would black or nude hose be better? Any comments about purses versus portfolios?

there used to be a thread on this topic that was like 20+ pages long and the consensus there was definitely nude hose. I think either way you go w/ the purse/portfolio thing will work. I carried a portfolio and a small purse.

Id say a pant suit would be your best bet. Nothing could really go wrong with pants. Skirts are cold. and who knows u could go accidently go a little risk-ah, and if theres every a chance of that... youd prolly want to avoid it. Plus pants always add a little structure and confidence to a suit. They can be very positive to figures too ;)

Pasties and edible underpants.

Bonus points if you're above the Mason-Dixon line.