Feb 28, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi folks!

I'm waiting on a very delayed letter of reference and, in consultation with my pre-med advisor, decided to submit the committee letter without it. The plan is to add this letter of reference individually, but I was just reading that this will require resubmitting my application, can anyone speak to whether this will mean I will need to be re-verified?

Thanks!
mrcm

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
You don't have to re-verify anything. LORs are the easiest part about the AMCAS app. You give them the upload code, they upload the letter, it gets forwarded to schools that you, then, assign it to... and that's that.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I'm waiting on a very delayed letter of reference and, in consultation with my pre-med advisor, decided to submit the committee letter without it. The plan is to add this letter of reference individually, but I was just reading that this will require resubmitting my application, can anyone speak to whether this will mean I will need to be re-verified?
Patently false. Letters of reference have no impact on the processing or transmission of an AMCAS application. They can be submitted before or after a primary AMCAS application has been submitted, verified, or transmitted. Letters are "held" until a primary application is transmitted to a school and then sent. Letters arriving to AMCAS after transmission are forwarded immediately to schools

You don't have to re-verify anything. LORs are the easiest part about the AMCAS app. You give them the upload code, they upload the letter, it gets forwarded to schools that you, then, assign it to... and that's that.
As above, they are the easiest part of the process. I would suggest that you do not assign this letter to any schools until you are sure the professor has submitted it

May 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I made the mistake of assigning a letter from a laggy professor and then had to cancel and make the efforts to check that schools weren't misled to believe it was arriving any time soon. I definitely would listen to @gonnif on this one. I do think that I put priority for submission date over a letter from someone I think would have written a letter. Plus, I had this laggy professor not even submit after 6 months...after 5 emails....don't wait on them. I worked extremely hard to find other recommenders and thankfully they all submitted their letters within 1 month to 2 weeks. Another recommender submitted it the day after! Basically, people who want to give you a letter do so quickly and it is absolutely unprofessional of those that keep on making excuses or pull you down because of it. In fact, I often become wary when they take so long and it makes me insecure what they will write on my behalf no matter what they say. Definitely those with many students can take a while or reject your request but ridiculous if you know the writer only has like 1-2 letters to write for someone. Stick to the committee letter. FYI, a lot of schools will only accept either committee or individual professors - not both.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
hence why an applicant should not assign a letter to a school until it is actually has bee submitted to AMCAS