Laid off from gap year job, advice on what to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cptsam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys so I was just laid off from my gap year job as a research assistant (PI didn't have enough funds to continue to pay me) so I'm asking for advice about what to do next. I have applied this cycle and have had a couple of interviews with one more coming up in February, but no acceptances yet. I currently volunteer once a week at a free clinic until the holidays (and will continue to do so if I end up staying). I live away from home so I'm responsible for my rent and gas (food is covered by parents). I can cover December's rent and possibly January's but February's might be tough if I can't find a job soon.

The way I see it I can break my lease and move back home (which I don't really want to do) or start applying for jobs. If I choose to do the latter what kind of jobs do ya'll think I should apply for? I have a BA in Sociology and a BS in Biology. I've been a research assistant since January 2017 so I do have extensive experience. I am currently based in the Atlanta area if that helps in anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had 10 II's and a few A's so far. I worked at a grocery store, for an event staff place, taught English overseas through CHINET, and worked at an engineering company part time

Hi guys so I was just laid off from my gap year job as a research assistant (PI didn't have enough funds to continue to pay me) so I'm asking for advice about what to do next. I have applied this cycle and have had a couple of interviews with one more coming up in February, but no acceptances yet. I currently volunteer once a week at a free clinic until the holidays (and will continue to do so if I end up staying). I live away from home so I'm responsible for my rent and gas (food is covered by parents). I can cover December's rent and possibly January's but February's might be tough if I can't find a job soon.

The way I see it I can break my lease and move back home (which I don't really want to do) or start applying for jobs. If I choose to do the latter what kind of jobs do ya'll think I should apply for? I have a BA in Sociology and a BS in Biology. I've been a research assistant since January 2017 so I do have extensive experience. I am currently based in the Atlanta area if that helps in anyway.
Any job is fine, but bonus points if you 1) Interact with the public, 2) use problem-solving skills, or 3) have a position requiring trust and responsibility.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Is there an option to continue working in the lab part time?

Alternatively, can you sign on in a lab or teaching at one of the many universities in Atlanta?

I would like to teach like 3-5 grade in an underserved/ low SES elementary school if I had a gap.

Apply at Piedmont Atlanta for a transport job. I am working at Piedmont Athens in transport, and the pay is decent. You should be able to get hired soon, Goodluck!

you should work the crappiest job you can find so that you can think back at that job when the going gets tough in medical school and residency to give you perspective.

Reactions: 3 users
I got laid off in my gap year. My position got eliminated. I applied for “worthwhile jobs” and while I got a number of interview offers, when I told them on the phone I was starting medical school that summer they all felt I wouldn’t be a good fit.

We had savings to continue to pay rent.

You have two choices:

1) get any job (most likely minimum wage/near-minimum wage since no other place will want to hire/train someone to see them leave after 6 months), continue your volunteer jobs, continue to pay rent and live on your own

2) Break your lease, move in with the folks for half a year, save what money you still have, and just relax the next six months before you start med school. Maybe take a nice trip or two.

If I were in your shoes I’d take advantage of the time off and visit my friends across the country, go camping for 2-months straight and just road trip across the country. The cost is quite low if you camp or stay with friends. Maybe work 2-3 months at a temp job while staying with the folks to save up some cash, then hit the road when it gets a little warmer.

Assuming you don’t already have kids, this is likely the last time in your life you’ll have this kind of flexibility. At least until you’re retired. M4 will be the next and likely last semi-flexible time in your life, unless you take a big gap between jobs. But at that point you may have a spouse and kids.

At this point, you should be looking ahead to what you will do if you don't get an offer to start medical school in 2019. You might go to medical school in the coming year but my opinion (and others do not agree with me) is that you have no more obligation to report this to a potential employer than you have to tell them that you buy lottery tickets and will quit in a hot minute if you win a million bucks. Take a job with the expectation that you will be working there for 1.5-2.5 years.

If you get an offer of admission (which may not come until May or June) then you'll give notice. You were laid off with little notice and you have the same right to give notice and leave employment (unless you sign a contract -- which is unusual in most industries).

Reactions: 3 users
Apply at Piedmont Atlanta for a transport job. I am working at Piedmont Athens in transport, and the pay is decent. You should be able to get hired soon, Goodluck!

Do I need certifications for a job like that?

At this point, you should be looking ahead to what you will do if you don't get an offer to start medical school in 2019. You might go to medical school in the coming year but my opinion (and others do not agree with me) is that you have no more obligation to report this to a potential employer than you have to tell them that you buy lottery tickets and will quit in a hot minute if you win a million bucks. Take a job with the expectation that you will be working there for 1.5-2.5 years.

If you get an offer of admission (which may not come until May or June) then you'll give notice. You were laid off with little notice and you have the same right to give notice and leave employment (unless you sign a contract -- which is unusual in most industries).

Yes, I am definitely not going to say anything about medical school to the management. I already learned my lesson when I was applying for jobs after graduation...

I would like to teach like 3-5 grade in an underserved/ low SES elementary school if I had a gap.

Where do I find jobs like this? And what's the expected pay range?

Yes, I am definitely not going to say anything about medical school to the management. I already learned my lesson when I was applying for jobs after graduation...

Where do I find jobs like this? And what's the expected pay range?

For a short termer like yourself, AmeriCorps might be the answer. They're used to having people do a short stint with them either on a full or part time basis before heading to grad/professional school. Many of their opportunities involve teaching/tutoring. There've been several good Americorp threads on here. Search for those and look for opportunities at the AmeriCorps website.

AmeriCorps also offers nonteaching opportunities.

There's also Teach for America, which requires a 2 year commitment.

To be a full blown teacher in the public school system requires certifications, etc, which you probably don't have time to do. You might try a private or charter school (which doesn't require certifications).

Venture for America has 2 year internships involving businesses that serve the underprivileged.

My friends who are teachers say it's really really hard to find a teaching job, at least where I'm located. The best some of them can do is get on the substitute rotation. Even at my kids charter school, where is pay is lower, the teachers are vetted really well and often have an impressive background. Unless you have a degree in elementary education and pass a licensing exam, it's not a viable option.

However, schools are always looking for volunteers to do a variety of different things. No $$$ to pay the rent with that though.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Possibly January" = You should call mom and dad, this is arguably the worst month to find a job opening.

My friends who are teachers say it's really really hard to find a teaching job, at least where I'm located. The best some of them can do is get on the substitute rotation. Even at my kids charter school, where is pay is lower, the teachers are vetted really well and often have an impressive background. Unless you have a degree in elementary education and pass a licensing exam, it's not a viable option.

However, schools are always looking for volunteers to do a variety of different things. No $$$ to pay the rent with that though.
I could see this being area dependent. My wife is a teacher at the elementary level. She didn’t have an educational degree and got a job two weeks post graduation and says her school is struggling to find teachers. She teaches at a school in a very bad neighborhood but those are some of the kids who need guidance the most.

Depending on your location, have you considered tutoring? Consider working as a private tutor, through a privately held tutoring company or a commercial company. You should be able to tutor HS science and test prep for ACT and SAT. It is a little late in the year for private HS test prep but that is a possibility too. Parents in affluent areas will pay big bucks for tutoring.

I could see this being area dependent. My wife is a teacher at the elementary level. She didn’t have an educational degree and got a job two weeks post graduation and says her school is struggling to find teachers. She teaches at a school in a very bad neighborhood but those are some of the kids who need guidance the most.
Huh. That's interesting.

I also looked into teaching. It seems in Georgia it is easy to find a teaching job in science, and it is best if you will commit to serving as a club leader or coach for a team. I had several interviews with schools as a teacher, but ultimately decided it would be too far off my career path. I didn’t want to really enjoy it and never leave. Just my two cents!

I missed that the OP had no acceptances-I agree with the above. OP-you should take your next steps with the presumption of not getting an acceptance, so that you can support yourself in the event you need to reapply, as well as build up your application if you do need to reapply.

If you get an offer of acceptance before you get a job offer, I still personally recommend taking it easy.

"Possibly January" = You should call mom and dad, this is arguably the worst month to find a job opening.

Thankfully, I'm going to get another paycheck soon that will completely cover January's rent so I'm good until at least February.

I also looked into teaching. It seems in Georgia it is easy to find a teaching job in science, and it is best if you will commit to serving as a club leader or coach for a team. I had several interviews with schools as a teacher, but ultimately decided it would be too far off my career path. I didn’t want to really enjoy it and never leave. Just my two cents!

How do I find jobs like this? Do I look on Indeed or other recruiting sites?

Is there an option to continue working in the lab part time?

Alternatively, can you sign on in a lab or teaching at one of the many universities in Atlanta?

I can look for labs at Emory and Georgia Tech, but I'm not sure if they will pay me or not. Should I just send mass emails out to a bunch of PI's and see what they say?

I can look for labs at Emory and Georgia Tech, but I'm not sure if they will pay me or not. Should I just send mass emails out to a bunch of PI's and see what they say?

Professors who have their own labs are good about having a website devoted to their research that explains their research, lists their lab members, and highlight recent publications. Sometimes such lab websites will say explicitly that they're looking to hire but often they don't. Tracking down the lab websites for all the different departments and schools (e.g. medical school departments will have their own lab websites and those at the college of arts and sciences will have their own, etc.) will be lots of work.

Mass emails or preferably more precisely focused, yet brief, emails that explain your interest in their work and your related back would get a response.

It's hard to know whether they'd pay you or not. That's probably something that will have to be decided on a case by case basis.

Or you might combine a volunteer gig (lab or hospital) with a paying one that's not so medically related, e.g. Starbucks.

Very few people on the admissions committee cared about my research experience when I was applying for med school because I wasn't applying for MDPhD.

I got laid off during my gap year too. I took that time to study and take the MCAT, went to central america to learn Spanish for a few months, took EMT class at a community college, then with the EMT certification worked at a clinic as an intake person while working part time for the 2010 Census and also working as a patient transporter at a hospital. If med school didn't work out for me, I would've gotten higher certifications for EMT and become a paramedic or something.

Do whatever you can/gotta do to learn/be useful, and I'm sure you will get valuable experience from it for med school and for life.