Laid Off - Take the time for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm loo?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can do more than just take physics and biochemistry, you could add genetics, immunology, or A&P, or any other course you may find intellectually stimulating (if it's financially feasible). You can spend the extra time volunteering more, or you could try to find a part-time job as a medical scribe.

If you're able to fill up your extra time with more than just studying, I think you'll find the 6-8 month gap as more of a blessing than a setback.

If your starting point (now) plus accelerated timeline plan put you in good stead for admission, then I'd vote for doing it.
If your odds would still be long, then the less financially-risky approach might be better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a good point. I forgot to mention that I am currently volunteering in two hospitals. By next June I should have roughly 350-400 volunteer hours. There are a few additional courses that I could take. I will look into what is being offered in the coming year.

You can do more than just take physics and biochemistry, you could add genetics, immunology, or A&P, or any other course you may find intellectually stimulating (if it's financially feasible). You can spend the extra time volunteering more, or you could try to find a part-time job as a medical scribe.

If you're able to fill up your extra time with more than just studying, I think you'll find the 6-8 month gap as more of a blessing than a setback.

I'm not quite sure what the odds would be. My cumulative GPA is roughly a 3.75-3.8 and sGPA is between 3.65-3.7. I think it is going to depend on what happens with the MCAT.

If your starting point (now) plus accelerated timeline plan put you in good stead for admission, then I'd vote for doing it.
If your odds would still be long, then the less financially-risky approach might be better.

Take a full year of science coursework and maintain the 3.75. Taking a course here and there isn't really going to help. MCAT will be a major factor as well.
If you feel confident that your grades are good enough then forget the layoff and focus on getting into medical school. If you have doubts, get back to work.