Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the reply! I am actually interviewing at LECOM - B (also put a post on that thread) so I am focusing onto PBL. What I mean is this on their website: "Q. How are clinical rotation groups assigned?
A. During the second year, the class is broken down into 13 clinical rotation groups of equivalent size (class size/13). Each group then chooses a group sequence (one through 13) that has been assigned a schedule of its upcoming third-year and fourth-year rotations. Historically, each class has self-selected their group composition and group rotation number."

So.... it seems that you are kind of forced into one of 13 groups. My question is what if you want to do something slightly different from all of these groups? Maybe I want to do 22/24 rotations but want to do two rotations which are "off the wall" that no one else in my year wants to do. I always thought aside from core rotations, individual students were allowed to do w.e elective rotations they would want and that it's a personalized thing.

"During the third and fourth years at LECOM, students are required to complete a total of 24 clinical rotations (12 per year). Each rotation is four weeks in length and is classified as core, elective, or selective. All core rotations (internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, surgery, psychiatry, emergency medicine, and ambulatory medicine) and fourth-year selectives must be with a LECOM affiliate. Electives can be in any specialty and at any domestic medical facility. Other rotations (family practice and rural/underserved medicine) are similar to electives."

I'm not sure how many electives/selectives you get but your schedule isn't completely set in stone like you're thinking

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"During the third and fourth years at LECOM, students are required to complete a total of 24 clinical rotations (12 per year). Each rotation is four weeks in length and is classified as core, elective, or selective. All core rotations (internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, surgery, psychiatry, emergency medicine, and ambulatory medicine) and fourth-year selectives must be with a LECOM affiliate. Electives can be in any specialty and at any domestic medical facility. Other rotations (family practice and rural/underserved medicine) are similar to electives."

I'm not sure how many electives/selectives you get but your schedule isn't completely set in stone like you're thinking

Ok, so I guess my question is really can I pick different electives from the rest of my class? Or do I have to do the same electives as my group does? Sorry if I'm being dense or something lol. Just trying to leave no stone unturned.

Ok, so I guess my question is really can I pick different electives from the rest of my class? Or do I have to do the same electives as my group does? Sorry if I'm being dense or something lol. Just trying to leave no stone unturned.

I would think that you can pick your own electives, as long as they're approved

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that you can pick your own electives, as long as they're approved

Hmm, I guess this would be a good question to ask unless specifically clarified during interview day. I'll let you guys know what they say about this next week.

I've been complete since late July with a 509 and 3.5. I'm from the NE area and a re applicant. I'm shocked I havn't heard anything yet

I've been complete since late July with a 509 and 3.5. I'm from the NE area and a re applicant. I'm shocked I havn't heard anything yet
Yeah that is surprising what are your ecs and personal statement like

Hey everyone, can any of you give me an insight on how long the process from submitting a secondary application to hearing about an interview has taken for those who have been granted interview invites? My status has said that my application is under review for about 2.5 weeks now.

Insights?

I submitted my secondary 9/20, II today (10/28). There are no interview dates available until February. Does anyone know if with a super late interview you still have a solid chance at LECOM?

I submitted my secondary 9/20, II today (10/28). There are no interview dates available until February. Does anyone know if with a super late interview you still have a solid chance at LECOM?

I would keep checking back. I bet you there will be some people who cancel their interviews. Obviously the sooner you can go the better.

Last edited:

I can't speak for the whole school, but my best friend goes here and I know a lot of her friends didn't interview til the winter/spring.
She didn't interview til LATE and she still got in. I wouldn't worry a whole ton!

Reactions: 1 users
II today as well. I managed to snag a date the end of January, more open spots at the beginning of February.

Secondary submitted October 14, completed email October 17 for anyone wondering timeline.

Hey everyone, can any of you give me an insight on how long the process from submitting a secondary application to hearing about an interview has taken for those who have been granted interview invites? My status has said that my application is under review for about 2.5 weeks now.

Insights?

Complete 8/23. II 9/13

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 7/22, complete 7/25, II 8/1. I think they are moving slower at this point though @Mo3

She called in and was told to expect a letter to talk about the postbac, but that she wasn't offered a seat.

To be honest, she could be trying to tease me and get me all mopey and then give me the good news

When I was wait listed at LECOM - Bradenton, they told me the same thing. It wasn't a rejection; I am on the alternate list. My portal reflects this, and the woman said it over the phone as well.

Current second year here! You can do whatever elective you want at any hospital in the country that will take you! We get 2 electives third year and 3 fourth year. There are also a lot of rotations during fourth year that have some flexibility in where you do them/what specialty they are in. The only thing your group determines is the order of your rotations, for example if you are in group 4 you will be doing your electives at the same time as everyone else in group 4.

Has anyone who turned in their secondary after Sept.12 received an II? Im still waiting :/

Yes, you can do your electives in whatever you want. That's why they're electives. The set schedule means you'll do those electives at the same time your classmates in your schedule/group have their elective. For example, my third year electives have to be in timeslot 7 and timeslot 13 (which land in mid November-into December and then in May) but I can do them in whatever and wherever I want, as long as LECOM approves it. Getting electives approved isn't too difficult, but does require some hoop-jumping if you want it at a hospital where LECOM students haven't gone before.

Edited: typo

Last edited:
Has anyone from the august 31st interview received Letters or portal change yet?

anyone have interviews at Bradenton as well? Is it the same type of interview day?

Anyone know the procedure from withdrawing your application from LECOM?

Does anyone know how to check for earlier interviews after having registered for a later interview? Can't seem to figure it out with the portal. I have a late January interview so definitely would like to push that up if possible due to other people cancelling!

Thanks!

Just scheduled an interview on 12\14 for a Seton hill slot.

I'm guessing this interview is at Seton hill, and not Erie right?

I have gotten literally zero info and only found out because I checked the portal just now. ;)

I cancelled my interview. I hope one of you gets it!

Insights?

I submitted my secondary early-mid October and just received an II today.

I think that's what I heard...I'm hoping not to much longer!
If you check the portal it may say a decision has been made already but it will be mailed within thirty days I interviewed 9/7 and that's what my portal says hopefully it comes soon!

If you check the portal it may say a decision has been made already but it will be mailed within thirty days I interviewed 9/7 and that's what my portal says hopefully it comes soon!
I've been checking the portal excessively haha

I don't like getting bad or good news via snail mail... :yeahright:

Reactions: 2 users
My portal still doesn't even say a decision was made it still says thank you for interviewing. I interviewed September 30th. I guess they are taking every bit of the November 15th date

My portal still doesn't even say a decision was made it still says thank you for interviewing. I interviewed September 30th. I guess they are taking every bit of the November 15th date
What's this November 15th thing about? Did they say they'll change portal status on that day?

Anyone know which date they might be on? I interviewed on Sep 23rd. No change on my behalf.

What's this November 15th thing about? Did they say they'll change portal status on that day?
November 15th is their regular decision day
However they said 30 days I'd hear back during my interview day. That clearly did not manifest

November 15th is their regular decision day
However they said 30 days I'd hear back during my interview day. That clearly did not manifest
Yea this waiting is not fun. But hopefully something happens either this week or next

Last edited:
II this morning, 9/26. The earliest date seemed to be Jan. 2nd.

Reactions: 2 users