Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone. I've been trying to do my best to stay away from SDN and focus on work so that I don't go crazy, but I am starting to get really curious about why I haven't heard anything from LECOM (and a couple of other schools).

I've had my application confirmed as complete since early July and now we're going into December and the portal has not changed from "under review" for both Erie and Bradenton. I have had three interviews so far so I don't think there is anything missing that would be keeping them from changing the portal to even a pre-interview rejection at this point. It's been four months or so by now.

I am a relatively competitive applicant. 3.71 GPA, 3.8 sGPA, 35+ old MCAT.

Anyone have any ideas why I haven't heard anything? I have strong EC's and I'm confident that I have good letters. The only thing I could think of is that I took my MCAT in the last month that it was still on the 45 point scale and perhaps they consider it to be outdated, even though it's within 3 years of the potential matriculation date... but that wouldn't make much sense to me. I've been debating whether or not to call the office, but I know every school has a different view on how they respond to applicant inquiries. Some are very helpful and others are like "This is an extremely busy time for the admissions department so we'll email you when there is an update!"

My stats are really close to yours too and I was accepted here, however, I'm not having any luck at all with other DO schools. So who knows.

Sent my primary in 10/24 and still haven't received a secondary yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats make you highly competitive for the most allopatic schools, and unless you comprehensively explained in your application why you want to be a DO and not MD, LECOM and other DO schools will doubt that that you matriculate, so they don't want to waist their time interviewing someone who is unlikely to go there or uses them as a backup.
Paradoxically, with your stats its probably harder to get II at DO school, rather than in MD school. If you really want to go to LECOM, write them a letter explaining why you chose them over MD. Good luck.

Thanks. It is frustrating not having any clue about the process used and the fact that it's a crapshoot.

I don't want to go MD. It's not necessarily OMM, of which I'm mostly certain that only some techniques and practices are actually potentially beneficial, but the overall philosophical approach to health and well-being. In my experience, DO's seem more likely than MD's to approach with a patient-first attitude while MD's really do come with a 'treat the disease' attitude. It's not that either is necessarily better than the other, I just think osteopathy is a better fit for my personality and values. With slightly more tact, this was a significant portion of the general gist of my personal essay.

I only applied to one MD school and that's because it's 8 minutes from where I live right now, would cost 1/2 the money of any other school. I'd be a fool not to apply, but I definitely prefer osteopathy.

But I get that they may not get the true impression from a bunch of words and numbers on application pages. Wish they'd at least send me a pre-interview rejection .

Thanks. It is frustrating not having any clue about the process used and the fact that it's a crapshoot.

I don't want to go MD. It's not necessarily OMM, of which I'm mostly certain that only some techniques and practices are actually potentially beneficial, but the overall philosophical approach to health and well-being. In my experience, DO's seem more likely than MD's to approach with a patient-first attitude while MD's really do come with a 'treat the disease' attitude. It's not that either is necessarily better than the other, I just think osteopathy is a better fit for my personality and values. With slightly more tact, this was a significant portion of the general gist of my personal essay.

I only applied to one MD school and that's because it's 8 minutes from where I live right now, would cost 1/2 the money of any other school. I'd be a fool not to apply, but I definitely prefer osteopathy.

But I get that they may not get the true impression from a bunch of words and numbers on application pages. Wish they'd at least send me a pre-interview rejection .

Wouldn't be a bad thing to give the admissions office a call! They get a crap ton of apps so sometimes you slip through the cracks unless you reach out.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody contacted admissions about not receiving a decision from September interviews??

Has anybody contacted admissions about not receiving a decision from September interviews??
I know someone called for my October 12 interview and they said it would be a few more weeks. I know fall break is the 16th for LECOM so I may call next week. My portal still hasn't changed and I'm getting very nervous

portal still hasn't changed from interview 9/30. anyone in same boat?

So looks like the door has shut on this school. Applied 4 months earlier this time than last year when I got an interview in late February, but have been "under review" for a while now (defeats the purpose of applying early). Emailed admissions a while back and said they were working on it. Luckily I have found 2 other schools I love, but this was the most affordable and closest to home :/ good luck to everyone!

If i were you, I'd call. When I called, they hadn't received my most recent MCAT score so they hadn't sent the secondary out. They sent me the secondary within a day or so after talking to them. Granted, I then submitted the secondary back in August and still silence, so....

Yeah, I think I will. It's kind of ridiculous because I have applied before and their secondary is extremely simple and I got it almost immediately.

I am still waiting to hear back from 8-31 interview. Every time I email they keep telling me a few more weeks. Does anyone know how many seats they accept for the SH campus? Does anyone know if they have filled the APAP pathway?

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, it just seems like admissions is really lagging here... Just between the people who have interviewed and haven't heard back, the people who applied early and haven't heard back... I know I submitted my secondary in early October and still haven't heard back either. :/

Man, it just seems like admissions is really lagging here... Just between the people who have interviewed and haven't heard back, the people who applied early and haven't heard back... I know I submitted my secondary in early October and still haven't heard back either. :/
Yea idk what to make of it all

Submitted mine early Oct too and still in review.

I am still waiting to hear back from 8-31 interview. Every time I email they keep telling me a few more weeks. Does anyone know how many seats they accept for the SH campus? Does anyone know if they have filled the APAP pathway?

I believe it's only 12 seats for APAP total with six of those devoted to primary care only. Website says very limited APAP at SH but I don't know exact number.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the APAP is full I was hoping to see if I can get into the 3year primary care as I am in internal medicine at this time. I just don't understand why it's taking so long. I was early decision too so if it's full that is very upsetting. I applied as soon as the application was available and my secondary was in july

I understand your disappointment. I will offer that I have heard of many PAs who attend LECOM in the other (non APAP) pathways so LECOM seems to really like PAs. Try not to lose hope !

Last edited by a moderator:
I submitted my secondary a while ago. How long did it take you guys to get an interview response once your secondary was submitted? mine still says under review. Thanks!

I submitted my secondary a while ago. How long did it take you guys to get an interview response once your secondary was submitted? mine still says under review. Thanks!
Mine took 2 months

I'm assuming there is a deadline to place acceptance deposits around the end of December. Hopefully this opens up some spots for those of us who actually want to go here as more than just a backup!

For me it was two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yea mine was about 3 weeks. Unfortunately there is no real order that they go in. Just have to wait. Like I've been waiting almost 3 months for my decision post interview...no rhyme or reason.

Yea mine was about 3 weeks. Unfortunately there is no real order that they go in. Just have to wait. Like I've been waiting almost 3 months for my decision post interview...no rhyme or reason.
Yea I'm thinking everything is random at this point

Seems about time for my occasional announcement: don't stress Portal timing. It means essentially nothing.

Feel free to tag me for questions about being at LECOM. I have a shelf exam coming up, but I'll write back sooner or later.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 9/30 and still nothing. I was told I'd hear back within a month which is laughable at this point. I have since interviewed and been accepted to other schools, if I were to be accepted here this lack of professionalism has completely removed LECOM from any sort of consideration. I warn anyone to take the schools actions very seriously as it may reflect how they will treat you once you are a student. Good luck to everyone!

Interviewed 9/30 and still nothing. I was told I'd hear back within a month which is laughable at this point. I have since interviewed and been accepted to other schools, if I were to be accepted here this lack of professionalism has completely removed LECOM from any sort of consideration. I warn anyone to take the schools actions very seriously as it may reflect how they will treat you once you are a student. Good luck to everyone!

I interviewed a month ago (roughly) and was told the same thing on interview day. I called this past Friday and the admissions counselor told me it'd be another 6 weeks. They seem to do things according to their own agenda and give out false time tables during the interview day. Must say I liked the school, but the way the handle communication with applicants is a major turn off.

I interviewed a month ago (roughly) and was told the same thing on interview day. I called this past Friday and the admissions counselor told me it'd be another 6 weeks. They seem to do things according to their own agenda and give out false time tables during the interview day. Must say I liked the school, but the way the handle communication with applicants is a major turn off.
I was told in October there was no time line and it could be 4 weeks, 8 weeks but there is nothing set in stone. This is becoming difficult but stay hopeful my friends!

I'm not saying LECOM has entirely removed itself from my interests as a potential school next year, I'm just saying that if a school is helping me set up elective clinical rotations, helping me get into residency, helping me get through medical school, etc. that will determine the future of my career in medicine, I want a school I can depend on backing me, rather than a school that seems try and "shoo" potential students away when they ask questions about an unreliable timeline they were given.

If we were told we'd be waiting a couple months to hear back from the start, that'd be okay, but that isn't the case.

Reactions: 5 users
Feels like we are all going through the struggle together. Has anyone called for an update?

Feels like we are all going through the struggle together. Has anyone called for an update?
I called again Wednesday and the guy looked up my portal and said no decision had been made still. He said it should be another week from then. But it didn't sound good, even though he said exactly the same thing that was on my portal.

What hotel would people recommend if I am driving to interview ? Thanks

Just have to insert my $.02 here once more. Thanks for all of your replies, guys and gals. It's been of major help, particularly in making me feel a little more calm, with that 'que sera, sera' attitude.

I applied very early (still 'under review') and sort of made up my mind that I wasn't going to give myself headaches by coming to these message boards and creating special notification filters on my phone, etc. and let the process work itself out because when my sister applied 2 years ago she was super stressed out by the whole ordeal. When I didn't hear anything (never even got an 'application complete' until I called 4 times and they finally picked up and said they had everything and it was with the admissions people) for five months now, I was sure there was something I must have screwed up on the app from my end.

Well, it just seems like this school has a very different method to its madness. Some of you are like me and have been under review for a long time, others got interviews shortly after being complete, before others that had already been complete, others waited a long time but eventually got II's, and of those that got II's some got acceptances/WL's shortly after interviewing while others are still waiting to hear back from interviews months ago. Seems insane, but they must have their reasons, I suppose. At least we can find solace in knowing we're not alone in being in the dark in terms of LECOM's admissions system.

The only other thing I'll add is that even though this 'process' might be how LECOM likes to do things, it is very detrimental to applicants. Osteopathic schools have hefty deposits, as we all know, and we are not doctors yet... $2k is a lot of money (for me at least) right now. An applicant that loves LECOM as his/her no. 1 may be forced to shell out the $2k at another school that has accepted him or her because LECOM took months to make a final decision post-interview? I know I'm opening myself up to some "life isn't fair" replies but so far this is the only school that has not only little communication with applicants, but, as some of you have pointed out, has given out incorrect or unreliable timetables for correspondence.

Oh well. Guess there's no other choice than to just hang tight (I'm tired of calling, lol).

Interview 12/2 reporting. Spent the day refreshing the portal like a fool only to come here and read that lecom doesn't stick to time tables. any other 12/2's, or anyone with an acceptance letter, how long was it between your interview and acceptance?

Cancelling my II for Dec 15 8am if someone wants to grab that date. Goodluck

In contrary to previous posts, LECOM was right on time for when they said they would be mailing out letters. I was in one of the earlier groups and chose Early Acceptance so that probably has something to do with it. I would assume that with the amount of applications to Erie/SH (>8500 last year), it's easy to get backed up. Be patient amigos

I disagree as I was early decision and still haven't heard anything. The only thing to do is wait.

I disagree as I was early decision and still haven't heard anything. The only thing to do is wait.

Right there with ya. The lack of clarity in their process has really turned me off of the school.

Are they even still sending out interview invites? Complete second last week of October, still "under review." :(

my classmate had an interview on Nov 1, still no portal update & no letter via mail

Interview 12/2 reporting. Spent the day refreshing the portal like a fool only to come here and read that lecom doesn't stick to time tables. any other 12/2's, or anyone with an acceptance letter, how long was it between your interview and acceptance?

Hi! I have read about the terrible timelines and it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. I interviewed Nov. 1 and had a portal change around the 14th or 15th then got my letter a little over a week after that, so it can happen quickly, but I am by no means exceptional by GPA or MCAT. Truthfully I didn't even think my interview went well. I thought for sure I was a quick rejection, but I thank God every day that I wasn't!

One thing the woman I spoke with at Seton Hill mentioned was that it often depends on how quickly the two interviewers write their after interview reviews. Some do it the same day and some sit on them for a while. I hope you hear good news soon and that they catch up on their reviews during the holidays! Best of luck :)