Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still no portal change for me, interviewed Oct. 12th :whistle:

I opted Erie PBL as my first choice though... I'm thinking that could be why? Not sure.. Anybody else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no portal change for me, interviewed Oct. 12th :whistle:

I opted Erie PBL as my first choice though... I'm thinking that could be why? Not sure.. Anybody else in the same boat?

Just some insight from when I interviewed at Seton Hill...the way it works is that once you interview, the adcom makes a decision on your file, and if you are accepted, THEN they look at your preferences for pathway and they place you wherever.

This is what the Seton Hill admissions person said when I asked (I think her name was Sarah?)

Hope that clarifies somewhat.

Reactions: 1 users
Just some insight from when I interviewed at Seton Hill...the way it works is that once you interview, the adcom makes a decision on your file, and if you are accepted, THEN they look at your preferences for pathway and they place you wherever.

This is what the Seton Hill admissions person said when I asked (I think her name was Sarah?)

Hope that clarifies somewhat.

Ah, thank you! Then I guess I have no idea what's taking so long. Oh well.

So I want to make sure I get this right

I have an interview at SH but after I get accepted there I can pick that I want to go to the Erie Campus and do traditional lecture.
I'm not saying im going to I just want to see if I have the option!

Reactions: 1 user
So I want to make sure I get this right

I have an interview at SH but after I get accepted there I can pick that I want to go to the Erie Campus and do traditional lecture.
I'm not saying im going to I just want to see if I have the option!

The way I understand it is that when you apply through aacomas to Lecom Erie you get considered for both Erie and SH. So, when you get an interview at SH or Erie you are interviewing for both places with that one interview. After the interview (atleast at SH) they gave us lunch boxes and a paper to choose which pathway is your top preference (and 2nd, 3rd, etc.). When I asked Sarah (I think that is her name) how the process is exactly she said that the adcom will first decide on whether they want to accept you then look at your preference for pathway. So, your preference for location/pathway doesn't weigh into the admissions process.

That's what I got out of it! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, don't wanna send out wrong info haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Great that helps out a lot!

The way I understand it is that when you apply through aacomas to Lecom Erie you get considered for both Erie and SH. So, when you get an interview at SH or Erie you are interviewing for both places with that one interview. After the interview (atleast at SH) they gave us lunch boxes and a paper to choose which pathway is your top preference (and 2nd, 3rd, etc.). When I asked Sarah (I think that is her name) how the process is exactly she said that the adcom will first decide on whether they want to accept you then look at your preference for pathway. So, your preference for location/pathway doesn't weigh into the admissions process.

That's what I got out of it! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, don't wanna send out wrong info haha.

I have a theory that we are all actually accepted and Lecom has been sending out letters but they've been rejections. And since deposits were due a few days before the majority of our portals changed, they just didn't know how many people would be accepting their offer and the next batch of acceptances were sent. But I have also lost my mind because it's Saturday night and someone ticked Elsa off and she froze all of Colorado so we have nothing to do.

I have a theory that we are all actually accepted and Lecom has been sending out letters but they've been rejections. And since deposits were due a few days before the majority of our portals changed, they just didn't know how many people would be accepting their offer and the next batch of acceptances were sent. But I have also lost my mind because it's Saturday night and someone ticked Elsa off and she froze all of Colorado so we have nothing to do.
Well I can tell you I wish your theory was right for me I've been put on there alternate list haha oh well who knows!

Well I can tell you I wish your theory was right for me I've been put on there alternate list haha oh well who knows!
It seems like there were a lot of alternate lists (me included :)), but maybe that's a good sign and we'll all still get a good New Year's surprise!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too late to apply to LECOM? I already have a verified primary. LizzyM ~75+. Thanks!

With a LizzyM of 75+? You won't be late until secondaries are due my friend.. Assuming the rest of your app is solid.

EDIT: Completely agree with @kovalchuk71 's follow up post. Very good point!

Last edited:
GUYS!

So I work in a big hospital in the West Michigan area, and I have a unique job in that I get to talk to docs from all different specialties.

Long story short: I ran into a LECOM alumni practing OB/GYN! Thought it was kinda cool.

Last edited:
What were your stats if you don't mind sharing ? I'm still waiting on my letter. I'm not the strongest candidate either. That's why I'm asking lol
3.46 sGPA and cGPA lots of EC's over 1000 hours of patient care. Strong LOR low mcat score.

interviewed 9/3o and still have no portal change. anyone with me???

interviewed 9/3o and still have no portal change. anyone with me???
Lol me
But once again I don't care
I truly feel horrible for any student who is waiting to hear from this school. If I get accepted I will be withdrawing hopefully they don't take another 4 months to give it to someone else

Lol me
I truly feel horrible for any student who is waiting to hear from this school. If I get accepted I will be withdrawing hopefully they don't take another 4 months to give it to someone else
i wish i had the luxury to not care but this is the only interview i've gotten so far. :'(

Lol me
Maybe if you are dead set on not going you should let them know. At this rate rate it would be a good thing for other people waiting. I can't believe how people from September are still waiting for a portal change

I was waitlisted. I did elect to continue waiting since my husband already paid to take the Pennsylvania bar but I gave myself a deadline of May because I have 4 kids and a husband to move up there so it probably won't be happening. I think every year they start getting movement around May or June.

My secondary application was complete at this school on Sept 19 and I still haven't heard anything. I even called about a month ago to confirm that they truly received my application, and was told to continue checking the portal for any updates. The guy on the phone awkwardly apologized and said it usually takes less than six weeks for a decision, so I'm going to assume this school has zero interest in my application. I think this school needs to establish a legitimate timeline to actually procure interested students. After all of this, even if I am offered an interview, my enthusiasm for this school has completely disappeared.

My secondary application was complete at this school on Sept 19 and I still haven't heard anything. I even called about a month ago to confirm that they truly received my application, and was told to continue checking the portal for any updates. The guy on the phone awkwardly apologized and said it usually takes less than six weeks for a decision, so I'm going to assume this school has zero interest in my application. I think this school needs to establish a legitimate timeline to actually procure interested students. After all of this, even if I am offered an interview, my enthusiasm for this school has completely disappeared.

Seems like you and I are in the same boat. I was complete 10/25 and there hasn't been a peep from this school :(

Here is a little bit of comic relief for you guys at my expense. My interview was a whole three days ago and I'm already going crazy with the anticipation. Received a text saying thanks for interviewing and we will be in touch soon. Overanalyzed that all afternoon . Then after dinner noticed a message on my home machine . It's someone from lecom and a phone number to call them back. Started freaking out and theorizing all the possibilities . Finally my husband sheepishly admits he ordered me some lecom swag for Christmas and it's probably the bookstore because he used the home phone number ! It's going to be a long painful wait in this house!

GUYS!

So I work in a big hospital in the West Michigan area, and I have a unique job in that I get to talk to docs from all different specialties.

Long story short: I ran into a LECOM alumni practing OB/GYN! Thought it was kinda cool.
I work in the ED in CO and we have a few residents rotating here from LECOM too! So glad to know that LECOM students are able to get into great residency programs!

P.S. No mail yet...anyone else?

Here is a little bit of comic relief for you guys at my expense. My interview was a whole three days ago and I'm already going crazy with the anticipation. Received a text saying thanks for interviewing and we will be in touch soon. Overanalyzed that all afternoon . Then after dinner noticed a message on my home machine . It's someone from lecom and a phone number to call them back. Started freaking out and theorizing all the possibilities . Finally my husband sheepishly admits he ordered me some lecom swag for Christmas and it's probably the bookstore because he used the home phone number ! It's going to be a long painful wait in this house!
Good one! It's a comfort to know there are lots of people in the same boat as you are.

I realize your a PA and got waitlisted. Wish you the best. What were your stats if you don't mind? I find it strange that someone with health care experience would get waitlisted this early in the cycle.

I realize your a PA and got waitlisted. Wish you the best. What were your stats if you don't mind? I find it strange that someone with health care experience would get waitlisted this early in the cycle.
I was not waitlisted that was someone else . I just interviewed a few days ago and am just anxious for my decision. That's why it's funny because I have only been waiting a few days and I'm already a wreck when so many of you have been waiting patiently for months !

Hi guys... my secondary was completed August 8th.. no word or portal change. Do you know if they are silently rejecting pre-interview invite? Its my first choice.. Do you think all hope is lost? haha thanks

I interviewed Sept. 30th and my portal is still the same with no letters yet. I emailed Lisa Kalivoda today so I will update once I get a response.

Hi guys... my secondary was completed August 8th.. no word or portal change. Do you know if they are silently rejecting pre-interview invite? Its my first choice.. Do you think all hope is lost? haha thanks

I think people were posting about snail mail rejections pre-II earlier in the cycle. I think LECOM is just waiting for deposits/seat declinations, like others have mentioned, so they can send more interviews and acceptances out.

I think people were posting about snail mail rejections pre-II earlier in the cycle. I think LECOM is just waiting for deposits/seat declinations, like others have mentioned, so they can send more interviews and acceptances out.
Yep. I'm still under review at Erie, but received a post-secondary rejection from Brandenton around 2 weeks ago via snail mail. If you didn't receive a rejection, you're still in the hunt.

Yep. I'm still under review at Erie, but received a post-secondary rejection from Brandenton around 2 weeks ago via snail mail. If you didn't receive a rejection, you're most likely still in the hunt.

I'm in the same boat as you, my man.

So how are the majority of us that interviewed early on alternate list already? And how do we know where we are on this list?

So how are the majority of us that interviewed early on alternate list already? And how do we know where we are on this list?
Based off of previous year threads and general hearsay from talking to a lot of people, many med schools (especially DO schools) get a majority of their acceptances off the alternate list. Blame the people holding multiple acceptances :)

@dd1548 Can you link me a thread for this information? I too was recently waitlisted and this is my #1. Fingers crossed for all of us to get off it!

Yep. I'm still under review at Erie, but received a post-secondary rejection from Brandenton around 2 weeks ago via snail mail. If you didn't receive a rejection, you're still in the hunt.

They send out pre-interview rejections in the mail? When were you complete at Bradenton?

They send out pre-interview rejections in the mail? When were you complete at Bradenton?

Yeah. My portal said "A decision has been made. You will hear from us in 30 days", and then I received a rejection letter via snail mail. I was complete mid October.

Yeah. My portal said "A decision has been made. You will hear from us in 30 days", and then I received a rejection letter via snail mail. I was complete mid October.

I was complete at the end of October. I guess I should anticipate a rejection letter too. Right now my portal says "we've received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file."

I was complete at the end of October. I guess I should anticipate a rejection letter too. Right now my portal says "we've received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file."

I wouldn't just yet. Unless it states that "A decision has been made on your file", then you haven't been rejected yet.