Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone still waiting for a portal change after their interview? My interview was in September.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
LECOM doesn't do silent rejections. If you're rejected it will say, "A decision has been made on your file and you will be notified by mail in 30 days." Note: This is not the case post-interview... only pre-interview.

You have good numbers, just be patient (it's hard, I know. Waiting sucks. Lol.)

LECOM gets like.. 9000+ apps/cycle, it just takes them a while. They were the first DO school to start interviewing this cycle too if I remember correctly. They're probably being more picky now with interview invites (that's just speculation, I don't actually know.)

Actually, there are people I've heard where it says they're still under review for last cycle. Hence, they do silent rejections as well... Agreed that those stats could garner a late interview though

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha yeah the waiting sucks :/
I've been underreview at all the places I got secondaries from. I really don't want to waste another year :(

3.49 gpa 500 MCAT. Complete since mid November. No reply so far.:(

Do they give out secondaries to everyone?

Reactions: 1 user
3.49 gpa 500 MCAT. Complete since mid November. No reply so far.:(

If it makes you feel any better, 3.71 GPA and 499 MCAT, complete at the end of October, still under review

What day were you complete in november? And do you mind posting your stats?
GPA around 3.2 with a massive upward trend and approx. a billion postbacc units completed, 513 MCAT. Currently in a masters program. I'm fairly non-traditional. I can't find the exact day I was complete right now, but it was a few days before Thanksgiving.

Ohh okay
I'm so confused on how they look at apps. Some people get interviews in a few weeks and others don't get invites till months later. I'm guessing my application has been looked over but it was not one of their top choices due to the fact that @BlastedHeath has received an interview invite even though my application was complete November 13.

I really hate this waiting game :(

I interviewed Dec 12th at Seton Hill and ranked Erie 1st. My portal changed today for Erie to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days" and for Seton Hill to "Your application is under review."

Any ideas what this means?? was I rejected?? :(

My portal finally changed, so now I can obsessively check the mail again!

Can't believe this... LECOM said they sent me a secondary in early November and I haven't received anything yet. I had to contact them and that's what they told me. I checked my emails nothing... this is ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed Dec 12th at Seton Hill and ranked Erie 1st. My portal changed today for Erie to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days" and for Seton Hill to "Your application is under review."

Any ideas what this means?? was I rejected?? :(
No that doesn't mean you were rejected it just means they will send your letter out soon ! That only means rejected if you see that message before you have interviewed .

interviewed 9/30 and JUST got a portal change..

Reactions: 4 users
Geez...still waiting. 9/23 interview.

Hey! I'm new to SDN. I interviewed at Erie 9/2. I got an email saying "the admissions would like to hold review until you send in your fall 2017 grades."

I sent in grades on Dec 10th. Iv been waiting for my portal to change. On Dec 22, I asked for an update and an admissions officer said .....
"They do meet on Wednesday but will be off for the next couple of weeks. It should have gone back yesterday though and should be updated next time we send out letters. Again, this might be delayed until after the holiday’s as well as many of the admissions staff will be off. "

Do you think they're updating the portals over the next couple of days? Has anyone else heard anything?

My stats..... 4.0 GPA, Pre-Med Biology Senior, 500 MCAT. 2,000+ hours as an emergency department tech. I scored a little lower in the chemistry section and planned biochem for the fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone still waiting for a portal change after their interview? My interview was in September.

I'm still waiting.... my interview was 9/2. However, about two weeks after the interview, they asked me to send my fall grades in and then they would make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm still waiting.... my interview was 9/2. However, about two weeks after the interview, they asked me to send my fall grades in and then they would make a decision.

That's insane that you guys are waiting this long. Unacceptable in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Withdrew from my interview a few weeks ago! Good luck to whomever gets it! (Been wanting to say that for 2 years :banana:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Interviewed 11/22 got a portal change earlier this week. Fingers crossed!!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed in early November at which time they explained to us we would hear back in about a month. Clearly we have all learned that this is not the case. I don't care how good a schools board scores are or how amazing their match list is if they cannot stick to deadlines. If they are treating us this way now I can't imagine how they treat students. No one requires them to make a decision in 30 days yet that is what they tell those who interview and I believe that they should stick to that. Big turn off from this school.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm completely giving up on hearing back from here. Complete at the end of October, still "under review." I'm going to assume this is a silent rejection. Good luck to everyone else

Complete in September, still havent heard anything, not really expecting to. People have decisions to make.

Just interviewed today. If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

LECOM will give silent rejections post-secondary (I know because last year I got one) but they don't give silent rejections post interview. Sometimes they do take a while to get back to you. There are more moving parts with LECOM than other schools. They have like 600 seats to fill between the three campuses, plus they have to factor 100+ post-bacc students as the semester goes (the ones that are teetering around 3.0 they have to hold out a spot for them somewhere), and there is a specific number of seats per pathway per campus. They will get back to you eventually.

They don't owe you anything. You're the one applying to them. I get being frustrated but to judge the whole school based on this makes no sense. You wouldn't get mad after a job interview if they said around one month but had to push it because of whatever circumstances. You would just be happy you're still in the running...

Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite today... scheduled for the 27th. Anyone else interviewing that day?

LECOM will give silent rejections post-secondary (I know because last year I got one) but they don't give silent rejections post interview. Sometimes they do take a while to get back to you. There are more moving parts with LECOM than other schools. They have like 600 seats to fill between the three campuses, plus they have to factor 100+ post-bacc students as the semester goes (the ones that are teetering around 3.0 they have to hold out a spot for them somewhere), and there is a specific number of seats per pathway per campus. They will get back to you eventually.

When you say "silent rejection" pre-interview, do you mean being "under review" for a long period of time?

Complete/stats if you don't mind me asking? Congrats by the way

Thanks!

My supplemental was processed in late August... been under review since then. I sent an update email to them with grades from my graduate program from this fall about a week ago.
Old MCAT 28. GPA about 3.2. Main extracurriculars: 4yr student athlete, published clinical research and 5 summers working as a clinical assistant.

When you say "silent rejection" pre-interview, do you mean being "under review" for a long period of time?
Yeah, as in I'm still under review for last year's class on the portal. lol

In case anyone is interested, for last year's class (class of 2020), the incoming stats were cGPA = 3.4, sGPA = 3.3 nsGPA = 3.6 oldMCAT = 28, newMCAT = 501

Has anyone this cycle heard back with a shorter waiting time? This is my top choice even if I have to wait but I would love some hope that I might hear sooner.

Has anyone this cycle heard back with a shorter waiting time? This is my top choice even if I have to wait but I would love some hope that I might hear sooner.

I Interviewed here on the 6th and today the portal says they've made a decision, so there is hope!

6th of what month?! That makes me feel so much better. Do you mind sharing your stats??

In case anyone is interested, for last year's class (class of 2020), the incoming stats were cGPA = 3.4, sGPA = 3.3 nsGPA = 3.6 oldMCAT = 28, newMCAT = 501

You think a 499 MCAT with a cGPA of 3.71 would keep me out of the running entirely?

Interviewed 9/23, waited 4 months to hear back. Got my letter today aaaaaand..... alternate list.

Looks like I'll be doing a little more waiting lol.

Anyone have any information on LECOMs alternate list? I'd honestly love to go here. What are the chances of acceptance off the alternate list? And when do people on the alt list start hearing back for final decisions?

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 9/23, waited 4 months to hear back. Got my letter today aaaaaand..... alternate list.

Looks like I'll be doing a little more waiting lol.

Anyone have any information on LECOMs alternate list? I'd honestly love to go here. What are the chances of acceptance off the alternate list? And when do people on the alt list start hearing back for final decisions?

If you really want to go here, take the initiative. Wait a little bit and send emails to admissions stating your sincere interest in the program. Maybe look at sending an LOI once we get close to the tail end of interview season (early-mid March)

The last thing you want to do is sit back and wait, IMHO.

Alt-listed as well today the admissions game continues!