Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Lecom send us notification email when portal is changed?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, current 1st year here at LECOM-E. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about LECOM, Erie in general, or pathway stuff. I'm in DSP but can also offer some insight on LDP :)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if there's a LECOM-E class of 2021 Facebook page?

Got an II a few days ago but will be withdrawing my application. Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on 1/20 and I still haven't heard back. It's going to be a month soon. Shouldn't they already have made a decision by now? I'm so nervous. I feel like this long wait means I will most likely get rejected.

I interviewed on 1/20 and I still haven't heard back. It's going to be a month soon. Shouldn't they already have made a decision by now? I'm so nervous. I feel like this long wait means I will most likely get rejected.

I wouldn't worry at all. It's usually 30+ days before you get a portal change after your interview. Once the portal changes, you'll have another ~2 weeks to wait for the letter. Try to occupy your mind with something else (I know it's hard!) so you don't go crazy! ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't worry at all. It's usually 30+ days before you get a portal change after your interview. Once the portal changes, you'll have another ~2 weeks to wait for the letter. Try to occupy your mind with something else (I know it's hard!) so you don't go crazy! ;)

Haha ok I feel a little better now! Thanks! Ughh I just wish I had more patience for this

Reactions: 1 users
Haha ok I feel a little better now! Thanks! Ughh I just wish I had more patience for this

Hehe.. I totally understand. This entire process really makes you examine your own patience, so later in life we can examine our patients. See what I did there? :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they conduct interviews at Erie and Setin Hill? Are you considered for both campuses when you interview at one location? Is there is a benefit of interviewing at one location vs the other?

How long before an interview happens? I've been complete for over a month now and my app is still under review.

Do they conduct interviews at Erie and Setin Hill? Are you considered for both campuses when you interview at one location? Is there is a benefit of interviewing at one location vs the other?
You can be interviewed at either but it counts for both campuses. After your interview you'll be given a paper to rank campus/pathway preference

Which campus has better facilities?

Hi there! I interviewed and was accepted to the Seton Hill campus, but later switched to DSP at Erie. I took a quick visit to check out the facilities at Erie while I was in PA for Christmas. Here are some quick thoughts on both, facilities and "amenities" I guess (my "peek" at Erie wasn't a full tour since I popped in unannounced. Someone was nice enough to show me around the building though!)

Seton Hill
Pros:
-Beautiful (small) campus!! Old ornate buildings, traditional library, outdoor spaces to study/eat lunch
- Traditional college atmosphere since it's on an undergrad campus
- I'm told you can participate in the intramural sports at Seton Hill which is nice if you're into that
- Relaxed atmosphere (seemingly at least)
- Decent campus gym (within walking distance of classrooms, included in tuition as a normal college gym would be)
-You're near Pittsburgh
Cons:
-"LECOM" is on one floor of one building, just a few hallways
- Older lecture hall (We weren't able to go in since there was a class in session.)

Erie
Pros:
- Newer facility, entire building dedicated to LECOM
- (Both pro and con) security. You won't get in the door without a badge or signing in, so it's safe!
- Cadaver lab (I've heard PBL from both campuses can use them at some point during the summer, so being here would save you a trip)
- Relatively new/nice gym facility (I didn't see this in person, but it's worth googling.)
-You're 90 minutes from 3 major cities
-I'm told you're more likely to get 3rd/4th year rotations here since Pittsburgh is where all of the competitive ones are. For me this is a pro since I don't want to move every 2 years :)
- New lecture hall, power in the desks I think?
- Libraries were comparable between the 2. Seton Hill also has the undergrad library though.

Cons:
-Security- difficult for visitors to stop by if you're on campus all day/night
- Single building. No "campus"
- I'm sure this changes by person, but I didn't love the "hospital" feel to it (ironic, I know...). Seton Hill felt "homey" while Erie felt cold and clinical
- Gym isn't within walking distance (At least I don't think it is and I don't know whether membership is included in tuition)

Overall, I felt like the facilities at Erie are better; however, I really liked the atmosphere of Seton Hill. It came down to the chance of staying in one place for 4 years and DSP pathway for me. We'll see if I end up regretting the switch :) Good luck with your decision and let me know if you have any specific questions!

Reactions: 2 users
How long before an interview happens? I've been complete for over a month now and my app is still under review.

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee for an interview once you're complete. Personally, I was complete for around two months before I received an II. Other people were complete for a shorter amount of time before they got an interview, while others waited longer. Although there has to be some method to the adcom's madness, it feels like a completely randomized process at times. I've read (probably somewhere in this thread) that some people were complete but never received an II for an entire cycle. (They were silently rejected, and their portals just stayed as "under review.") I've even read that some people received pre-interview rejections, but I tend to think that their stats were really low to even make the cut. Hang in there! The waiting sucks, but it never really goes away throughout the entire process. :-/

Hi there! I interviewed and was accepted to the Seton Hill campus, but later switched to DSP at Erie. I took a quick visit to check out the facilities at Erie while I was in PA for Christmas. Here are some quick thoughts on both, facilities and "amenities" I guess (my "peek" at Erie wasn't a full tour since I popped in unannounced. Someone was nice enough to show me around the building though!)

Seton Hill
Pros:
-Beautiful (small) campus!! Old ornate buildings, traditional library, outdoor spaces to study/eat lunch
- Traditional college atmosphere since it's on an undergrad campus
- I'm told you can participate in the intramural sports at Seton Hill which is nice if you're into that
- Relaxed atmosphere (seemingly at least)
- Decent campus gym (within walking distance of classrooms, included in tuition as a normal college gym would be)
-You're near Pittsburgh
Cons:
-"LECOM" is on one floor of one building, just a few hallways
- Older lecture hall (We weren't able to go in since there was a class in session.)

Erie
Pros:
- Newer facility, entire building dedicated to LECOM
- (Both pro and con) security. You won't get in the door without a badge or signing in, so it's safe!
- Cadaver lab (I've heard PBL from both campuses can use them at some point during the summer, so being here would save you a trip)
- Relatively new/nice gym facility (I didn't see this in person, but it's worth googling.)
-You're 90 minutes from 3 major cities
-I'm told you're more likely to get 3rd/4th year rotations here since Pittsburgh is where all of the competitive ones are. For me this is a pro since I don't want to move every 2 years :)
- New lecture hall, power in the desks I think?
- Libraries were comparable between the 2. Seton Hill also has the undergrad library though.

Cons:
-Security- difficult for visitors to stop by if you're on campus all day/night
- Single building. No "campus"
- I'm sure this changes by person, but I didn't love the "hospital" feel to it (ironic, I know...). Seton Hill felt "homey" while Erie felt cold and clinical
- Gym isn't within walking distance (At least I don't think it is and I don't know whether membership is included in tuition)

Overall, I felt like the facilities at Erie are better; however, I really liked the atmosphere of Seton Hill. It came down to the chance of staying in one place for 4 years and DSP pathway for me. We'll see if I end up regretting the switch :) Good luck with your decision and let me know if you have any specific questions!
When did you interview and when did you hear a decision?

I was complete in October and heard back for an interview beginning of February. I signed up for the first available on on 3/6 in SH. I would love to hear back how long everyone waited in general before hearing back though. Is there only 1 adcom between both northern campuses or is it a completely separate process?

When did you interview and when did you hear a decision?

I interviewed early November and had a portal change about a month later. I live in Alaska and mail is slow to get here (what with the polar bears who carry it and all) so I called but they wouldn't tell me anything over the phone. I got the letter maybe 10 days-2 weeks after the portal change.

I was told (don't quote me on this!) that it doesn't matter which location you put down as a preference- they accept/reject you first and then put you into a campus and pathway of your preference if there is availability. If your top choice is full, they'll accept you into another pathway/campus. And lastly, I was told on my interview day that admissions decisions often fluctuate based on how long it takes your interviewers to write their assessments. She said some finish them the same day and some sit on them for a while unfortunately... but if there's a silver lining to that it doesn't necessarily mean that a long wait means no.

I interviewed early November and had a portal change about a month later. I live in Alaska and mail is slow to get here (what with the polar bears who carry it and all) so I called but they wouldn't tell me anything over the phone. I got the letter maybe 10 days-2 weeks after the portal change.

I was told (don't quote me on this!) that it doesn't matter which location you put down as a preference- they accept/reject you first and then put you into a campus and pathway of your preference if there is availability. If your top choice is full, they'll accept you into another pathway/campus. And lastly, I was told on my interview day that admissions decisions often fluctuate based on how long it takes your interviewers to write their assessments. She said some finish them the same day and some sit on them for a while unfortunately... but if there's a silver lining to that it doesn't necessarily mean that a long wait means no.
Thank you for the silver lining and the detailed response. That really eases the nerves.

I interviewed on 1/12 and still haven't heard anything so don't feel bad! This waiting game is terrible, but hopefully all worth it in the end!

Received II for early march at seton hill campus. does anyone know how many spots are left? am I interviewing for a spot on the waitlist at this point? what's the chance of acceptance interviewing this late in the cycle??

Would it be too late to apply here? My GPA is 3.4, which is somewhat competitive for this school, but it will go down next cycle since AACOMAS will get rid of the grade replacement policy.

Interviewed 2/10 and noticed a portal change today. I feel like it's way too early for it to be positive news :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Would it be too late to apply here? My GPA is 3.4, which is somewhat competitive for this school, but it will go down next cycle since AACOMAS will get rid of the grade replacement policy.

Do it! I work with a current 3rd year from LECOM. She applied late in February, interviewed in April, and was wait listed. What do you have to lose?

I have my II coming up, and nothing on my portal is marked as complete. I know that the email says it may take until the week of the interview to update, but some of these must be complete in order for me to have received an II right?

Also my LORs were done through Interfolio, and do not have my ID number on them. Interfolio has my ID number on file, so it should have added it to my LORs the same way it did for AMCAS right?

~All marked as "X" for incomplete"~

Disciplinary Action Form
Waiver Access to Letters
MCAT Complete
Supplemental Application
6 Credits Behav Science
8 Credits Chem-Org
8 Credits Chem-Inorg
6 Credits English
4 Credits Physics
8 Credits Bio/Zoo
Pre Health Comm. Letter
Science Prof 1
Science Prof 2

I have my II coming up, and nothing on my portal is marked as complete. I know that the email says it may take until the week of the interview to update, but some of these must be complete in order for me to have received an II right?

Also my LORs were done through Interfolio, and do not have my ID number on them. Interfolio has my ID number on file, so it should have added it to my LORs the same way it did for AMCAS right?

~All marked as "X" for incomplete"~

Disciplinary Action Form
Waiver Access to Letters
MCAT Complete
Supplemental Application
6 Credits Behav Science
8 Credits Chem-Org
8 Credits Chem-Inorg
6 Credits English
4 Credits Physics
8 Credits Bio/Zoo
Pre Health Comm. Letter
Science Prof 1
Science Prof 2
Don't worry. You don't have to do anything. One or two days before your interview, it will automatically pop up.

For the LORs, if your letters were already on AACOMAS, you would be fine.

How late does this school interview til? Been complete since oct and still nothing.

I called admissions. Waitlisted

Last edited: