Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DO you mind sharing your stats? I am still waiting for an invite :(
cGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.4 MCAT 510 Lots of Clinical Experience and Leadership

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

Congrats to all of you who've been accepted.

I was wondering, do you guys know if LECOM accepts our transcripts sent electronically after acceptance or do we have to mail them physically to the same address as the other documents?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Congrats to all of you who've been accepted.

I was wondering, do you guys know if LECOM accepts our transcripts sent electronically after acceptance or do we have to mail them physically to the same address as the other documents?
I sent mine electronically and they were accepted without issue.

So did pretty much everybody here have a physician LOR? Because I only had my pre-medical advisor LOR and 3 professor LORs (which I know are very positive). You think that may have been something that led to a quick rejection?

I had a MD letter from a PI and surgeon, but no DO letter. Didn't seem to be an issue for LECOM or SOMA.

What email did you use? The admissions one?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Actually, it is a bit of a hybrid. I ordered them electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse and they send them to the address that you choose. This can be a physical address, and in some cases they can send them electronically. Works pretty well and lets you avoid dealing with each registrar's office if you have more than one college, like in my case.

How long does it take to get your letter after a portal change?

Hey, I just got an interview invite. For those wondering, the last interviews seem to be 4/28 and 05/05 (Erie Campus). At this point am I just interviewing for a waitlist spot?

Bumping this to ask as well. I like what I see on the website and am extremely appreciative of the opportunity to interview, but i'm not sure i would be up to interview for a waitlist spot. Especially so because I would be flying in from cali ($$$!). Does anyone know if the class is full yet?

Anyone from 3/29 hear anything yet? Mine still says you're invited to interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping this to ask as well. I like what I see on the website and am extremely appreciative of the opportunity to interview, but i'm not sure i would be up to interview for a waitlist spot. Especially so because I would be flying in from cali ($$$!). Does anyone know if the class is full yet?

This is just observation, but LECOM seems to waitlist a lot of people. I interviewed in early September and I was waitlisted along with most of the others that I talked to in my group. I don't know when they start pulling off of the waitlist but if you don't have an acceptance yet it would definitely be worth it to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how long after the portal change, "a decision has been made you will receive your decision in 30 days etc," you are expected to find out? When does it usually arrive in the mail? Thanks!

Does anyone know how long after the portal change, "a decision has been made you will receive your decision in 30 days etc," you are expected to find out? When does it usually arrive in the mail? Thanks!

This has been answered several times in this forum. Typically, it is a week.

A variable amount of time. I personally waited three months. Took about 3-4 days after I noticed portal change for letter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

My letter just arrived! And I got waitlisted.. hope everyone else has better luck!

Does anybody know how they take you off waitlist? Do you get a portal change and then letter? Or do they call?

Does anybody know how they take you off waitlist? Do you get a portal change and then letter? Or do they call?
Someone who was just taken off said he received a random letter in the mail. He posted about it in the lecom waitlist thread for this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone who was just taken off said he received a random letter in the mail. See lecom waitlist thread .
lol that's so weird. I hope I receive one of these random letters!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone receive a response from the 3/31 interview, or portal change?

Anyone receive a response from the 3/31 interview, or portal change?

I interviewed 3/31 and received a portal change 4/24, but so far no mail. It says a decision has been made and will be mailed to me within 30 days.

Hey everyone, does anyone have any info on the wait list? Is there any chance of being admitted if you're currently on the wait list? Thank you!

Hey everyone, does anyone have any info on the wait list? Is there any chance of being admitted if you're currently on the wait list? Thank you!

There's always a chance; plenty of people are admitted off the wait list every year. Unfortunately there's no way to know when major waitlist movement might start happening.

They pulled a PA from the wait list last week. Typically, LECOM seems to pull a good amount from the waitlist. Anytime from now until the first week of class they will pull people. I've heard at other schools as much as 40 people get pulled from waitlist.

Does anybody know the last interview date in may? Im assuming a couple weeks after the last interview the waitlist will be final and more people will be pulled from it.

Does anybody know the last interview date in may? Im assuming a couple weeks after the last interview the waitlist will be final and more people will be pulled from it.

May 5th (This Friday). I should know, I'm interviewing :D

While I'm here. I think I want to go either PBL or DSP. Though I mainly want to be accepted. Which pathway usually has the best chance of acceptance this late in the game?

While I'm here. I think I want to go either PBL or DSP. Though I mainly want to be accepted. Which pathway usually has the best chance of acceptance this late in the game?

I have heard that the most seats are typically in the LDP. I think a current student told me that when I interviewed but I'm not sure.

I have heard that the most seats are typically in the LDP. I think a current student told me that when I interviewed but I'm not sure.

yay

edit: Then again. LECOM is a good school. I'd be happy with an acceptance

Last edited:

Just to clarify, an admissions decision is made without any regard to your pathway preference. If you are accepted, LECOM will place you in your highest ranked pathway with a seat available. If you are accepted to a pathway that is not your first choice and choose to enroll at LECOM, you can add your name to an internal waitlist for your desired pathway. I do not know how much movement typically takes place on the internal pathway waitlist. As others have mentioned, once the school year begins it is easy to move from PBL or DSP to LDP, but very difficult to do the opposite.

Hi all! I interviewed at Seton Hill on 1/12, Got waitlisted mid-march! Any hope for an acceptance?

Also, for those wondering about portal status, my portal status actually went blank like end of february (post interview) and is still completely blank even though ive been on the waitlist since mid-march. To me, it seems as if portal status can be glitchy. Any thoughts?

Do any current students, particularly first or second years, know what's going on with clinical rotations? Are there big changes coming? From what I gather there is a lot of frustration by the students...

Do any current students, particularly first or second years, know what's going on with clinical rotations? Are there big changes coming? From what I gather there is a lot of frustration by the students...

First year students at Erie had our first information session last week on selecting clinical rotation sites. During the presentation by the president of the 2nd year class, we were told that for the class of 2019 67% of students got their first choice of rotation sites, 85% got their first or second choice, and 86% got their first, second, or third choice. He noted that these numbers were lower than usual. It sounded like the unusually low number of students getting their number one site was due to the late addition of mandatory rotation spots. However, no further details were offered, and the 2nd year president indicated that he thought selection numbers for the class of 2020 would improve because we would have advance notice of the rotation spots that have to be filled. No other procedural changes to the rotation selection process were discussed during the meeting. Please keep in mind that this was the preliminary meeting for our class, so this information is certainly subject to change.

Reactions: 4 users
First year students at Erie had our first information session last week on selecting clinical rotation sites. During the presentation by the president of the 2nd year class, we were told that for the class of 2019 67% of students got their first choice of rotation sites, 85% got their first or second choice, and 86% got their first, second, or third choice. He noted that these numbers were lower than usual. It sounded like the unusually low number of students getting their number one site was due to the late addition of mandatory rotation spots. However, no further details were offered, and the 2nd year president indicated that he thought selection numbers for the class of 2020 would improve because we would have advance notice of the rotation spots that have to be filled. No other procedural changes to the rotation selection process were discussed during the meeting. Please keep in mind that this was the preliminary meeting for our class, so this information is certainly subject to change.

A few follow up questions if you don't mind since I am ignorant of the process:

1) Do students tend to aim for urban/suburban sites over rural? What makes one clinical site more attractive than the other? Do all students know of which site are of lesser quality through word of mouth?

2) Were the majority of students in fact upset? If 85% of people got their first or second choice, that actually appears to me to be relatively adequate standard.

3) Thanks for the info. Your post was very objective, but I am also trying to get a subjective view. I am unsure how to feel as an incoming student myself reading your post to be frank. One thing I liked about LECOM as it seemed to have a surplus of clinical sites with several having in house residencies, and even if not that, at least established sites where students rotate and attendings actually teach. Basically I'd like to know your opinion on all this and even what you speculate will happen. Am I being overly anxious lol?

Last edited:
A few follow up questions if you don't mind since I am ignorant of the process:

1) Do students tend to aim for urban/suburban sites over rural? What makes one clinical site more attractive than the other? Do all students know of which site are of lesser quality through word of mouth?
LECOM has approximately 30 core affiliate sites where students spend the majority of their 3rd and 4th year rotations. Urban sites tend to be more popular, but there are a lot of other factors that go into selections. For many students, proximity to family or friends is most important. Anecdotally, I've heard that some of the smaller, more rural hospitals offer more autonomy to their rotating medical students. Whereas competition for procedures, time in the OR, etc. can be fierce at larger urban centers with students from multiple institutions. Everyone has their own idea of what's important in a clinical site. Defining the "quality" of a core affiliate is tough. At a single hospital, certain services may be awesome, while others are weak. Within any given service, some attendings and residents may be excellent teachers, and others are not. One of my goals for this summer/fall is to start collecting information/reviews on affiliates I'm interested in, so my ranking next fall is better informed. This is tougher than it sounds because the 3rd and 4th year students who are in a position to provide that information are scattered all over the country at their clinical sites.

2) Were the majority of students in fact upset? If 85% of people got their first or second choice, that actually appears to me to be relatively adequate standard.
Based purely on the numbers, fewer students got their first choice than in previous years. But if the second year students were more upset than usual, I'm not aware of it.

3) Thanks for the info. Your post was very objective, but I am also trying to get a subjective view. I am unsure how to feel as an incoming student myself reading your post to be frank. One thing I liked about LECOM as it seemed to have a surplus of clinical sites with several having in house residencies, and even if not that, at least established sites where students rotate and attendings actually teach. Basically I'd like to know your opinion on all this and even what you speculate will happen. Am I being overly anxious lol?
Right now, I'm not worried. I'm looking at a list of about 30 possible rotation sites, and I think I'd be happy at several of them. It's unlikely that everyone's top three choices will look the same, so I like my chances of securing a spot at one of my preferred locations. However, I am also realistic that things can change quickly, and the unexpected does happen. Something I take comfort in is that 4th year offers many elective opportunities (2 free electives, 1 medical selective, 1 surgical selective, 1 primary care selective). Even if I end up somewhere I don't want to be, or get my first choice and discover it's not a great fit, I have a lot of freedom to explore elsewhere 4th year.

Reactions: 4 users
LECOM has approximately 30 core affiliate sites where students spend the majority of their 3rd and 4th year rotations. Urban sites tend to be more popular, but there are a lot of other factors that go into selections. For many students, proximity to family or friends is most important. Anecdotally, I've heard that some of the smaller, more rural hospitals offer more autonomy to their rotating medical students. Whereas competition for procedures, time in the OR, etc. can be fierce at larger urban centers with students from multiple institutions. Everyone has their own idea of what's important in a clinical site. Defining the "quality" of a core affiliate is tough. At a single hospital, certain services may be awesome, while others are weak. Within any given service, some attendings and residents may be excellent teachers, and others are not. One of my goals for this summer/fall is to start collecting information/reviews on affiliates I'm interested in, so my ranking next fall is better informed. This is tougher than it sounds because the 3rd and 4th year students who are in a position to provide that information are scattered all over the country at their clinical sites.

Based purely on the numbers, fewer students got their first choice than in previous years. But if the second year students were more upset than usual, I'm not aware of it.

Right now, I'm not worried. I'm looking at a list of about 30 possible rotation sites, and I think I'd be happy at several of them. It's unlikely that everyone's top three choices will look the same, so I like my chances of securing a spot at one of my preferred locations. However, I am also realistic that things can change quickly, and the unexpected does happen. Something I take comfort in is that 4th year offers many elective opportunities (2 free electives, 1 medical selective, 1 surgical selective, 1 primary care selective). Even if I end up somewhere I don't want to be, or get my first choice and discover it's not a great fit, I have a lot of freedom to explore elsewhere 4th year.

Thank you tremendously for your response!!

Has anyone received a financial aid award letter yet?

I'm sure this has already been mentioned. However, there are many threads to go through.

I noticed that LECOM requires Microsoft Windows 7 or higher and LECOM IT is not supported by MAC. Is this valid? I noticed several students using Apple laptops on interview day at Bradenton.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned. However, there are many threads to go through.

I noticed that LECOM requires Microsoft Windows 7 or higher and LECOM IT is not supported by MAC. Is this valid? I noticed several students using Apple laptops on interview day at Bradenton.
Macs are popular at the Erie campus and I would guess 30-50% of students use a Mac. Two important notes: 1) LECOM IT does not provide support for Apple products, so if something stops working, you are on your own. 2) There have been some recent problems with Examsoft, our testing software, and Mac products. Examsoft actively works to resolve these bugs, but Mac users are often asked to delay updating their OS to avoid problems.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk