Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really? I am the first here? Cool.

So, the more I hear about LECOM, particularly Seton Hill, the more sure I am that it is where I'm going. Now, to convince the adcom.

Applied, In State, this is my #1.

I'm an incoming MS-1 here. Obviously I don't know much about the program or Greensburg yet, but I'll check this thread intermittently to see if I can be helpful (but please don't rely on me getting back to you very quickly!).

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the secondary, wanted to include a few notes from their e-mail.
The Supplemental Application is very brief. It will allow you to indicate your preference for the Erie Campus or Seton Hill Campus as well as provide additional profile information. We encourage you to review the LECOM pathway program descriptions before selecting your campus preference as Seton Hill only offers the Problem-Based Learning Pathway. If you are selected for an interview, you will need to submit letters of recommendation. You may request letters of recommendation from your pre-health professions advisor or pre-professional committee. If you are unable to obtain a pre-professional committee letter, you may submit two letters of recommendation from undergraduate or graduate college/university science professors.
If you are selected for an interview, LECOM will also require a letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician to complete your application. We cannot accept a letter from an allopathic physician (M.D.), to satisfy this requirement. If you wish to apply to the Bradenton Campus, you must indicate LECOM Bradenton as a choice on your AACOMAS application. You must also complete a separate LECOM Supplemental Application for consideration at the Bradenton Campus.

There was other stuff in the e-mail but that was user names, passwords and contacting the admissions office. Good luck everyone.

I'm an incoming MS-1 here. Obviously I don't know much about the program or Greensburg yet, but I'll check this thread intermittently to see if I can be helpful (but please don't rely on me getting back to you very quickly!).

Good luck!

What got you more interested in Seton Hill over the Erie location?

Btw anyone know when Lecom starts interviewing applicants?

What got you more interested in Seton Hill over the Erie location?

Location, mostly-- I am married, and wanted a school near potential job opportunities for my husband (should he decide to relocate with me down the road) and a major airport to make being long-distance feasible.

I also wanted PBL, which is the only pathway at Seton Hill. And anecdotally, while Seton Hill has the same rules and dress codes as Erie, they're a little more low key about them. I've never been up to Erie, but I've heard the weather is better in Greensburg, which is another plus.

Location, mostly-- I am married, and wanted a school near potential job opportunities for my husband (should he decide to relocate with me down the road) and a major airport to make being long-distance feasible.

I also wanted PBL, which is the only pathway at Seton Hill. And anecdotally, while Seton Hill has the same rules and dress codes as Erie, they're a little more low key about them. I've never been up to Erie, but I've heard the weather is better in Greensburg, which is another plus.

Seton Hill is near Pittsburgh right?

Btw anyone know when Lecom starts interviewing applicants?

If I recall correctly, they start interviewing at the end of July.

Greensburg (Seton Hill) is about 45 min - 1 hr from Pittsburgh (in the city/downtown). If we're talking the fastest way to a part of the Greater Pittsburgh Area, it can be <30min. Erie on the other hand is about 1.5-2hrs away, almost straight north from Pittsburgh.

I received an interview invite this afternoon . My secondary was confirmed on July 14.

I am looking forward to visiting campus!

Congrats on interviews everyone! Make sure to post your stats in the "Official Interview Invite Thread 2014-2015 Cycle" in the Pre-Medical Osteopathic forum so we can keep track of the schools giving out invites!

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked LECOM it's a lot better than what other students made it out to be.

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished my first week at LECOM-SH. There are a lot of rules, yes, but they're not really hard to follow, and it's not as draconian as SDN makes it out to be.

Can i get some insight into this? Thinking about applying here as backup. Need some more information

Can i get some insight into this? Thinking about applying here as backup. Need some more information

The two main rules people gripe about most on SDN are the dress code and the ban on food/drink.

1) Dress codes are a part of professional life. No, I'm not a huge fan of wearing nylons every day, and I'm sure the guys don't love wearing ties. But I'm probably going to have to do it for the rest of my life, so what difference does it make starting in the pre-clinical years? Most jobs have some sort of dress code, so this one really doesn't bother me.

2) I'll readily admit that it sucks to not bring water to class. However, we really don't have that much lecture (after the anatomical sciences portion anyway), and it's really not that hard to go a few hours without a snack. Now, when we have lecture a lot, we typically have breaks every 60-90 minutes and you can go in the hallway and have your snack/water/whatever then. You're not going to starve just because you're a LECOM student. Also, the lecture halls and PBL rooms do stay really clean, so that's a plus, and it's nice to not be disrupted by your neighbors opening bags of chips or frantically cleaning up a spill while you're trying to pay attention. This issue just isn't a big deal.

I am aware of some student vs. administration issues, but that's true of everywhere.

Make sure to emphasize this IF you get an ii.

Don't apply anywhere if you can't actually picture yourself as a student at that school-- LECOM or anywhere. And nobody likes to feel like they're backup.

The two main rules people gripe about most on SDN are the dress code and the ban on food/drink.

1) Dress codes are a part of professional life. No, I'm not a huge fan of wearing nylons every day, and I'm sure the guys don't love wearing ties. But I'm probably going to have to do it for the rest of my life, so what difference does it make starting in the pre-clinical years? Most jobs have some sort of dress code, so this one really doesn't bother me.

2) I'll readily admit that it sucks to not bring water to class. However, we really don't have that much lecture (after the anatomical sciences portion anyway), and it's really not that hard to go a few hours without a snack. Now, when we have lecture a lot, we typically have breaks every 60-90 minutes and you can go in the hallway and have your snack/water/whatever then. You're not going to starve just because you're a LECOM student. Also, the lecture halls and PBL rooms do stay really clean, so that's a plus, and it's nice to not be disrupted by your neighbors opening bags of chips or frantically cleaning up a spill while you're trying to pay attention. This issue just isn't a big deal.

I am aware of some student vs. administration issues, but that's true of everywhere.

Don't apply anywhere if you can't actually picture yourself as a student at that school-- LECOM or anywhere. And nobody likes to feel like they're backup.

Yeah, 'twas my point. It's unbelievably insulting. Why you quote me, yo?

Received an interview when I checked my portal today. Do applicants typically fly to the Pittsburg international airport?

Received an interview when I checked my portal today. Do applicants typically fly to the Pittsburg international airport?

Yes, Pittsburgh is the closest airport. When I interviewed I rented a car, but I believe there's some shuttle options (price it out, my car was cheaper than a shuttle and gave me flexibility).

Just got an interview confirmation today! Will be there August 21st. Pretty nervous about the group interviews . Also you can fly into Latrobe airport and it is only 15 minutes from Greenaburg, but I think only spirit airline goes there! Good luck everybody!

Just got an interview invite! 9/8 for me. Could someone give a breakdown of how the interviews work?

Anyone else going to be there on August 21st? PM me if you want, might be nice to know someone before hand and make our interviews a little more comfortable!

I am as well! Where are you guys coming in from?

I am flying in to Latrobe from Texas. What about you guys? Where are you guys going to be staying?

I live in Pittsburgh so it's not to big of a trip for me!

Ahh well congratulations on the interview and good luck! I have quite a big trip ahead of me and only 13 days to plan...

flying in from the midwest to Pitt. Not really excited about having to rent a car.

flying in from the midwest to Pitt. Not really excited about having to rent a car.

Have you looked at flying into Latrobe instead? It is only 15 minutes away from Greensburg. Only Spirit airlines will fly into there though, but it is reasonably priced. What hotel are you going to be staying at?

I looked into Latrobe but there were no flights that I could take. I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express just a few minutes from campus.

I am also interviewing on the 21st! flying in from NC.

Anyone interested in meeting up on Wednesday evening (20th)? Maybe grab something to eat and try to relax before the big day lol?

Anyone interested in meeting up on Wednesday evening (20th)? Maybe grab something to eat and try to relax before the big day lol?

Yeh, I think that would be a good idea. Wouldn't hurt to meet a few people we will be interviewing with to feel a little more comfortable. I will PM you.

I looked into Latrobe but there were no flights that I could take. I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express just a few minutes from campus.

I am staying at the Holiday Inn as well. I think me and another might meet up the evening of the 20th to have a bite if you would be interested? Send me a PM and I'll fill you in on the details as I get them!

Quick question - What do you all do for thank you notes when you're interviewed by a committee like this? I've only ever had one-on-one interviews, so I'm not quite sure how to handle that!

Thanks!

Just received my first overall II from LECOM-Seton Hill. Scheduled for Oct 7, anybody else scheduled at this time? I will be flying in from Utah and am really excited for this opportunity. I'm a non traditional student 3.64 sGPA and 3.58 total GPA with a low MCAT 7/9/9 . Didn't receive my score back until the first week of August and considered retaking because of computer issues I had during the physics section (images wouldn't load). Hopefully I get a chance to meet some of you there in Oct.

Received my II for Oct 7th! I am coming from California, so I am not very familiar with travel around Penn. Are there options besides car rentals?

Received my II for Oct 7th! I am coming from California, so I am not very familiar with travel around Penn. Are there options besides car rentals?
When I interviewed there I took a shuttle from the airport to my hotel, then used the hotel shuttle to get to the interview. However, bear in mind that the interview day beings at 8am and most hotel shuttles and taxi cabs don't begin operating until 8 in the morning. I got lucky that the Ramada shuttle driver got there early that day, so I arrived there on time.

The hotel shuttle is free, but the airport shuttle isn't. You can check how much it will cost by estimating it here: http://reserve.shuttlefare.com/?gclid=CLTbqZGAucACFQiIaQodyXoATg

Good luck on your interview!

Just received my first overall II from LECOM-Seton Hill. Scheduled for Oct 7, anybody else scheduled at this time? I will be flying in from Utah and am really excited for this opportunity. I'm a non traditional student 3.64 sGPA and 3.58 total GPA with a low MCAT 7/9/9 . Didn't receive my score back until the first week of August and considered retaking because of computer issues I had during the physics section (images wouldn't load). Hopefully I get a chance to meet some of you there in Oct.

Congrats! Quick question: when was your secondary complete?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Has anyone heard back about acceptance that has already interviewed? I know they said by October 17th, but I Was wondering how early they start sending out acceptances?

Has anyone heard back about acceptance that has already interviewed? I know they said by October 17th, but I Was wondering how early they start sending out acceptances?
Not a pep either way, and I interviewed August 12th at Seton Hill. When I interviewed they said the earliest we would know would be October 24th, but others seem to have heard differently.

Not a pep either way, and I interviewed August 12th at Seton Hill. When I interviewed they said the earliest we would know would be October 24th, but others seem to have heard differently.

Yeh, I heard different things the entire day. I was finally told that we would find out by October 17th, but wasn't sure if they would start sending them out sooner. No one really seemed to be 100% sure and one of the interviewers told me that it had changed over the last year or two so understandably not many people knew for sure.