Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM-Seton Hill) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey @ritts,

I'm currently an OMS1 at LECOM-SH. Your first 12 weeks will be anatomy, histology, embryology, & OPP. The schedule varies from week to week, but generally Tuesdays are long (8am-5pm) because of OPP & anatomy labs.

After the first 12 weeks, you have ~250 pages to read every week for PBL. This depends on what topics you choose from various textbooks, so difficulty is very subjective. (We basically self study for anatomy too.) Test questions are written by different professors based on what textbooks you choose (anatomy, biochem, embryology, etc), so the level of detail varies as well.

Awesome, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey @ritts,

I'm currently an OMS1 at LECOM-SH. Your first 12 weeks will be anatomy, histology, embryology, & OPP. The schedule varies from week to week, but generally Tuesdays are long (8am-5pm) because of OPP & anatomy labs.

After the first 12 weeks, you have ~250 pages to read every week for PBL. This depends on what topics you choose from various textbooks, so difficulty is very subjective. (We basically self study for anatomy too.) Test questions are written by different professors based on what textbooks you choose (anatomy, biochem, embryology, etc), so the level of detail varies as well.

What are exams like for PBL?

Members don't see this ad :)
At the interview they said it's usually 200 multiple choice questions I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They said exactly this. Overall I was actually pretty impressed with LECOM. They openly admitted they don't have all the bells and whistles of some schools, but what they lack in resources they make up for in their cost of attendance. PBL scores are on par for COMLEX and 60% of their students took the USMLE and of those who took it 100% passed (though they were sure to point out that if only 60% took it, it was likely the top 60% of the class anyways).

The campus is gorgeous, the town is nice, and Pitt wasn't too far away at all! COL is cheap as can be. I'm really impressed with them as a school. They seem to have a mindset of trusting us as adults to do work and in return they want to save us as much financial hardship as possible. There were definitely pros and cons, but the pros were strong.

Reactions: 2 users

I haven't taken it yet. It's coming up two weeks after we finish anatomy. But yeah about ~200 MC questions, 3 hours to complete it. Most of the questions will come out of the textbook pages your group chose to study for the cases. The rest of the questions will come from topics the teachers have already assigned for every group (blood tests, physical exam stuff, etc). The first 12 weeks, we only meet once a week for two hours so our test coming up will be on 4 cases. Right now, we have to choose at least 45 pages for each case. We will have more cases per exam as we go into full on PBL mode (3 meetings per week).

Reactions: 1 user
How is the interview format here? group? open/closed file?

Quoting my own post from the other LECOM thread to respond to this (see below).

Not going to lie- PBL exams are rough. Varies a bit by semester but typically 200 questions, 4 hours, covering ~700 pages and to answer someone else's question- yes, detail-oriented a lot of the time. Because there's only two to three each semester, and PBL is the bulk of your credit load, it's hard to recover from a bad day.

On the bright side, you're really in control of your own learning, which bodes well for boards studying and boards exams. And while you're reading/studying a LOT, having a few big exams instead of a lot of little ones gives you freedom in how you organize your studying. If you're disciplined most of the time it's possible to give yourself nights/a weekend off sometimes, and that would be a lot tricker with the weekly exams in LDP.

Forgot to respond to this until now. And for full disclosure, I was PBL at Seton Hill, and things might be slightly different than Erie.

PBL is very much choose-your-own-adventure, which is great once you get the hang of it, but has a steep learning curve. Basically, you meet 2-3X/week and go over a case with a group and your facilitator. First semester, one case might take several meetings to get through-- you speed up quite a bit by second year. When you complete a case, your group assigns "final learning objectives" from the reading. So, for a first year case on diabetes, you might end up picking the pancreas chapter from physiology, a glucose metabolism chapter from biochemistry, a pathology page run on diabetes, and a pharmacology chapter on diabetes drugs. Some people go into PBL and think it's all about the group meetings, and while those are helpful, it's really all about the reading. Exams are based on the pages you assign. Promethean is right that they're high stakes-- 26 credits for the semester is based on 3 exams, each covering ~700 pages of material.

If you're somebody who needs a lot of guidance, there's nothing wrong with that, but PBL is not for you. Going to the lectures likely wouldn't help you much because A) no guarantee the lecture matches up well with the pages you picked B) PBL's schedule is on a totally different schedule than DSP, so whatever's happening in the lecture pathway isn't likely to do you much good and C) you're not doing the reading you needed to do in the first place. Promethean is also right that there are a lot of online resources out there, even though lectures aren't recorded. A lot of these are super helpful-- I should probably name my firstborn Goljan Sketchy Sattar LastName -- but at the same time, it's important to be wary about resource overload. The temptation exists to rely on these outside sources, which can backfire on you if you end up not doing the reading your exam actually covers.

Edited: grammar

anyone who interviewed early in september hear anything yet? i think we were supposed to hear by sept 30th...

anyone who interviewed early in september hear anything yet? i think we were supposed to hear by sept 30th...

I interviewed 8/12 and opted for the early notice but still haven't heard anything, I heard the first week of October would be when we would know!

Just submitted my secondary. Hope it's not too late....

I saw that there have been lots of portal changes on the Erie thread. Any news for Early Decision Seton Hill interviewees? The time is near, friends :)

I saw that there have been lots of portal changes on the Erie thread. Any news for Early Decision Seton Hill interviewees? The time is near, friends :)

I got a portal change yesterday. It says a decision has been made

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait my portal says that the committee has made a decision on my application and that I'll receive an official letter in the mail...is this a rejection?

Wait my portal says that the committee has made a decision on my application and that I'll receive an official letter in the mail...is this a rejection?

I don't think so. That seems to be the portal status that everyone is getting. I interviewed earlier in September and mine still says "Congrats. You have been selected for an interview".

I don't think so. That seems to be the portal status that everyone is getting. I interviewed earlier in September and mine still says "Congrats. You have been selected for an interview".

When did you interview? I interviewed on 9/7

I had a portal change today. Interviewed on 8/16. It says the AC made a decision. Fingers crossed!

Portal change today too finally! "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days"

Haven't selected October/November interview date yet. How did people get to Seton Hill from Pittsburgh airport?

Haven't selected October/November interview date yet. How did people get to Seton Hill from Pittsburgh airport?

I rented a car with another interviewee. Most of the people in our group were from PA and NY and drove from home or took a bus. The drive was about 45 minutes from the airport, so Uber could be an option.

Hoping to get some news today in the mail. I really enjoyed SH and how there seemed to be tremendous freedom to form your own study approach. Interview day just felt off--not enough time it seemed to set yourself apart from others...

Reactions: 1 users
Well folks, this has been an incredibly bizarre admissions cycle for me since I am the definition of an underdog applicant, but I just received an acceptance to LECOM-SH today.

I am really excited and grateful. What I can say is that either my responses in the interview went over well with the interviewers or that my pre-med committee letter was amazing, like Mona Lisa amazing. Anyways, my excitement has already turned into anxiety over whether or not I can successfully navigate through the PBL curriculum. I believe I can, but will likely rely on my classmates!

Also, special shout out to @LSDiVinci , @Jmust171 , and @ortnakas for taking the time to answer my questions--believe me when I say that the advice offered really helped in my mental preparation for interview day!

Also, anyone know of a LECOM Class of 2021 FB yet?

Reactions: 6 users
Well folks, this has been an incredibly bizarre admissions cycle for me since I am the definition of an underdog applicant, but I just received an acceptance to LECOM-SH today.

I am really excited and grateful. What I can say is that either my responses in the interview went over well with the interviewers or that my pre-med committee letter was amazing, like Mona Lisa amazing. Anyways, my excitement has already turned into anxiety over whether or not I can successfully navigate through the PBL curriculum. I believe I can, but will likely rely on my classmates!

Also, special shout out to @LSDiVinci , @Jmust171 , and @ortnakas for taking the time to answer my questions--believe me when I say that the advice offered really helped in my mental preparation for interview day!

Congratulations! Is this one of your top choices?

Accepted!! The letter came in yesterday

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! I interviewed at Seton Hill, but ranked primary care scholars pathway as my first choice and was accepted to it!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone heard of an applicant being held for their grades post-interview? I applied Early Decision, but received an e-mail that I would be be notified of a decision at the conclusion of the Fall semester.

Interviewing on 10/26! Figuring out transportation from pitts airport to hotel near campus, if someone wants to split costs of transport using uber or rental car message me I'm down. Arriving 730 am the day before.

Has anyone heard of an applicant being held for their grades post-interview? I applied Early Decision, but received an e-mail that I would be be notified of a decision at the conclusion of the Fall semester.

Maybe they just want to see that you're not slacking off this year. If they wanted to reject you, they could've done so already

I'll be right there with you! This is my second time going through the application cycle, and I'm so glad to be going to LECOM-SH! We'll all be figuring out this PBL thing together!

I'll be right there with you! This is my second time going through the application cycle, and I'm so glad to be going to LECOM-SH! We'll all be figuring out this PBL thing together!

Congrats amigos. There's a good chance I'll be joining you guys!

Accepted yesterday! Got the letter through snail mail. Interviewed on 8/12 :)

Good luck to everyone else waiting/about to interview!

Reactions: 2 users
First time posting long time lurking. Accepted at LECOM-SH and super happy (this is year 2 for applications). I'm also interested to know if there is a FB group for the class of 2021.

Hey! I'm interviewing on 10/12. I've read up on the school and as many forums about interview style and such. But i still don't know what questions to expect. Anyone that has interviewed know if they're asking about us or ethics or the school or the law? Thanks!

First time posting long time lurking. Accepted at LECOM-SH and super happy (this is year 2 for applications). I'm also interested to know if there is a FB group for the class of 2021.

I wanna make one, but I am still waiting to hear back from NOVA lol. But the average student indebtedness from NOVA is 260k while it is 160k at SH!!

Interview scheduled for Nov 16, staying at the Ramada hotel in Greensburg! They give big discounts (80 a night) for those who are interviewing at Seton Hill.

If anybody else is scheduled for that day lets carpool or something!

Accepted! But will not be attending. Good luck to future applicants and wait listers. I hope my spot goes to one of you here!

I wanna make one, but I am still waiting to hear back from NOVA lol. But the average student indebtedness from NOVA is 260k while it is 160k at SH!!
Cost of tuition at LECOM is really good. Coming out of school with a 100k bonus looks pretty nice especially with other grad school loans...I'm local to Pittsburgh if any LECOM-SH accepted students want to meet for a drink (PM me).

Cost of tuition at LECOM is really good. Coming out of school with a 100k bonus looks pretty nice especially with other grad school loans...I'm local to Pittsburgh if any LECOM-SH accepted students want to meet for a drink (PM me).

I feel you. I am reading The White Coat Investor right now actually and it seems the student loans infrastructure in the US can be much more damaging long term as opposed to, say, refinancing/financing on a house during residency. Like, the interest rates for student loans are higher than if you wanted to set up a mortgage.

Having said that, there could be some advantages by attending NOVA since it is affiliated with a university and an MD school is inbound. Whether or not that is worth the 100k difference is something I am not entirely sold on (their match list does not look tremendously better to warrant 100k)

Just sent in my deposit today! Let's gooooo