Lamest jobs while we wait for med school to start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinamazing

Kung Fu Manchu Master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many entering different COM's this fall are not in school and some like me are doing lame jobs to earn some skrill in the mean time. I just want to see how lame is everyone elses jobs. I work as a Med Tech in a Molecular Pathology lab but it is much lamer than it sounds. I just regret passing up a job as a Microbiology Lab Tech in an Ice Cream plant to take this job just for a few more dollars per hour.

Now I mess with ethidium bromide instead of fresh cream, and hundreds of sarstedt tubes instead of chocolate chips. Let's here what lame (or cool) jobs you guys are doing before school starts this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like a good job. I'm looking right now, for ANYTHING! Turns out a B.S. in Biology qualifies you for nothing, especially in a small town. I'll let you know what it is when I find a job.

I work with medical physicists at a radiation oncology office. Basically, I get to do quality assurance checks on the linear accelerators and simulators. It's really repetitive and boring, which is why they make me do it...

Members don't see this ad :)
i showered penguins and trained dolphins.
im glad my degree in animal communications came in handy.

sheesssh, and you guys are complaining. With a BS in biological science, (graduated with honor) I am parking cars to earn money. That's right. I'm a valet guy. The tips are good, but the people and the cars are disgusting.:oops:

i smell like fish, and those suckers are defiant.

Regardless of the smell, that job sounds like so much fun. Jeez, I might pay hundreds of dollars this summer so my wife and I kind swim with one of those defiant suckers. I am mucho jealous.

sheesssh, and you guys are complaining. With a BS in biological science, (graduated with honor) I am parking cars to earn money. That's right. I'm a valet guy. The tips are good, but the people and the cars are disgusting.:oops:

I hear ya! My BS in Bioengineering landed me a job at a Japanese Restaurant as a waiter. The tips are good too but I smell like raw fish mixed with miso soup everyday. :barf: Miso-licious!!

I sub at a high school- doesnt get more lame than that.

I sub at a high school- doesnt get more lame than that.

Dude....

image.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you guys remember hearing that story a few years ago about the lady who got molested by a dolphin off the coast of england? I guess not all dolphins are like Flipper! (that TV show was the best)

not about the degree in animal communications.lol. jealous? defiant suckers is what they are.

I agree with Chinamazing. That still sounds awesome!

I'm doing applied research for a paint company. I think I fall asleep at work for a few minutes each day. Before this, I worked at Fry's electronics and was the only cashier with a BS degree. Just pathetic.

I work with ******s.

Not appropriate or funny. I used to work with the developmentally disabled and that word is not ok under any circumstances, even if you are just quoting some movie

I also sub at high schools, yep... good times

but it balances out with my EMT job, with is actually pretty cool :cool:

Not appropriate or funny. I used to work with the developmentally disabled and that word is not ok under any circumstances, even if you are just quoting some movie

No, no. It's ok. You see, TT is mentally handicapped. It's like Jews making fun of Jews.

No, no. It's ok. You see, TT is mentally handicapped. It's like Jews making fun of Jews.

Interesting proposal. I find myself strangely less offended, especially since I am Jewish and have told a Jew joke or two in my day....;)

I fix computers.

I have a B.S. in psychology.

I hate it. I've mentioned this here before, but I cannot stress that fact enough.

I am working not one, but three jobs waiting for school to start. I am the Microbiology Lab Manager at the university I graduated from (easiest best paying job in the world), I coach soccer (also a lot of fun), and last but not least I am a Barista at Starbucks. Hopefully my last almost minimum wage job ever. The unlimited free drinks while I work is a definite plus along with my free pound of coffee a week, although I did have to be at work at 5 am this morning... I am definitely ready to switch this work craziness with school craziness!

I fix computers.

I have a B.S. in psychology.

I hate it. I've mentioned this here before, but I cannot stress that fact enough.

Similar case here. B.S. in Psychology, and I work at a software company consulting on order processing

I don't consider my job as lame as I do ridiculous. Try picking 20 or so semi-related compounds and developing one extraction method, figuring out how to do it on an automated extraction machine with one elution method and then instrumenting it on a mass spec with one ionization method in your pick of groundwater, soil, sludge, urine, etc and getting good recovery on all the compounds for about the same pay as a high school graduate. I can't wait to be done bc I feel like a horrible magician most days and that's lame.

What in the hell is a degree in animal communications? More improtantly, what institution is handing degrees like that out?

dog-whisperer12.jpg

A prospective student told me on interview day that she mowed lawns in a bikini to earn money for MCAT prep (the bikini being necessary, I was told, to outdo the competition):rolleyes:.

Whatever you do kids....DO NOT talk about jobs requiring scant clothing on your Medical School interview day.

A prospective student told me on interview day that she mowed lawns in a bikini to earn money for MCAT prep (the bikini being necessary, I was told, to outdo the competition):rolleyes:.

Whatever you do kids....DO NOT talk about jobs requiring scant clothing on your Medical School interview day.

This makes me wonder.... What single guy owns a house with a yard? I'm sure there are some, but not many.

My wife would never let that fly. Must be a lot of swingers in her neighborhood.

I was trading foreign currencies the year before I entered medicine. Also worked as a financial analyst as well.

I'm a cashier at a family-owned drug store. I'm pretty much the only person there who wasn't hired because I knew or was related to someone who already works there. Apparently I was hired because I have a B.S. and they're only paying me $8/hr for better work than what they get out of all the *****s I work with. I spend most of my work day restocking alcohol, cigarettes, and candy. The rest of my day is spent standing as still as possible, ringing crabby customers, or listening to the daily gossip about my coworkers. It's about as mindless as you can get.

I'm glad to hear that there are lots of folks out there who are NOT doing anything medical that pays before starting school in fall. My mom thinks that if I were really passionate about medicine, I should want to work in a hospital, no matter what the job was. She doesn't quite understand that I've worked my tush off getting in, and now I just want to take a summer to not have to think about it. So....

I am going to be selling drinks on a riverboat called the Fat Cat in Chattanooga all summer. Free rides all day on the Tennessee River! I'm excited about it.

What in the hell is a degree in animal communications? More improtantly, what institution is handing degrees like that out?

dog-whisperer12.jpg

lol. i mentioned in an earlier post that i was joking about it. could you imagine though?

I work as a waitress at Ruby Tuesday and as a 24 care person at the hospital.. basically i sit and watch suicidal and confused patients to make sure they don't hurt themselves.. it ends up that i watch tv or read for 8hrs a day.. sounds fun.. but its NOT. its boring as hell and id rather be moving around doing something.. im not even allowed to leave the room.. yesterday i was having some bladder problems (tmi, i know).. but it was really sucky cause i had to wait for a nurse to come in and take my place in the room.. and man, they are SLOW

I am hoping to be unemployed this summer. After my teaching contract ends in May I would love to spend the summer as a housewife (yep, told my husband I would actually do all the cooking and cleaning!). If that doesn't pay enough, I will have to do some lame temp work.

Side note: I actually did study animal communicaton. My master's degree is in biology, but my thesis was on animal communication. I studied Elk mating calls for 2 years. Really. It makes for some interesting conversation during interviews. Also worked as a zookeeper and spent my time cleaning up chimpanzee $hit. Again, another good interview story.

working as a lab tech at a clinical cancer lab. i spend about 5 hours a day in the break room or on studentdoctor.net. LAME the best part is i have to blow 2 weeks of vacation before july!

sub teacher at middle schools. talk about pre-teen defiance. had a job subbing multiple days for an english teacher and on first day there was a trojan hanging from the handle. that was how that week STARTED...

working as a lab tech at a clinical cancer lab. i spend about 5 hours a day in the break room or on studentdoctor.net. LAME the best part is i have to blow 2 weeks of vacation before july!

Haha, that's exactly what I do. Working as a tech in a cancer research lab. I get to play with mice though, fun stuff. I probably do about 2 or 3 hours of work each day and the rest of the time I'm waiting for the damn gel to finish. Gah, can't wait til I quit. I guess I can't complain though, it's easy work and pays pretty well.

Yeah, training dolphins is the lamest job I can think of! Wait, why does that sound cooler than what you'll be doing in 10 years after all this additional schooling?

I was trading foreign currencies the year before I entered medicine. Also worked as a financial analyst as well.

That reminds me how it seems everyone I know thinks they are an expert at FOREX trading now because they've all been betting against the dollar for 2 years and have been right so far.

Granted, I wish I had also been shorting the damn $ for 2 years because they're all doing very well and quitting their IB jobs, buying Maseratis and what have you... but one giant bet doesn't make them experts! I'd be willing to bet that they're all doing something else when the dollar goes back up. And all of them will lose their shirts if the USD goes up as fast as it went down.

When do you expect the Dollar to recover?? I actually wish the Dollar was stronger, it would make my expenses overseas much lower. I love to travel but the weak Greenback cuts into my plans. I used to spend big whenever in Europe and elsewhere. Recently I went to Europe and exchanged some US Currency and the girl at the counter smirked at me.

When do you expect the Dollar to recover?? I actually wish the Dollar was stronger, it would make my expenses overseas much lower. I love to travel but the weak Greenback cuts into my plans. I used to spend big whenever in Europe and elsewhere. Recently I went to Europe and exchanged some US Currency and the girl at the counter smirked at me.

LOL! I know thats not supposed to be funny.. but somehow i think that is hilarious!!

I'm not really sure. While the dollar is always cyclical, there are no reasons for it to go up right now and there won't be any good reasons until Bush is out of office. Then Obama can reduce the budget deficit by leaps and bounds like B. Clinton did and look like a hero. That'll take a couple years though, and it also might take a couple years until the Fed raises rates again... so yeah, it looks like the dollar will take a couple of years to recover. But traders always buy on the expectation and sell on the news, so the dollar will probably rise before any of these things actually happen in real life.

And I don't think my friends will continue to make money indefinitely by continuing to short the dollar. Multi-year profitable trading strategies like that just don't happen in real life! Or at least that's what I keep telling myself since I missed the boat and still refuse to jump in now.

You do know that one can spin that on you too. ;) You make the assumption he was associating the word with the people. The people can just be slow in their actions. I'm sorry, but people really get way too wound up about a damn word. It is not like he called them mongoloids. I've worked with handicapped kids too , and I do understand the frustration but chillout. It isn't the words that are bad. It is the intent behind the word, and we don't have any tone of voice to go by.

Anyway, I'm going to have a job doing background checks with homeland security. Good pay and adjustable hours.

I'm sorry, but people really get way too wound up about a damn word.

In my view, saying "I work with ******s" isn't different than saying "I work with negroes" or "I work with 'spics". It's not cursing, but it is going to raise eyebrows when you group people together and "talk down" in this way when discussing them.

I'm not really sure. While the dollar is always cyclical, there are no reasons for it to go up right now and there won't be any good reasons until Bush is out of office. Then Obama can reduce the budget deficit by leaps and bounds like B. Clinton did and look like a hero. That'll take a couple years though, and it also might take a couple years until the Fed raises rates again... so yeah, it looks like the dollar will take a couple of years to recover. But traders always buy on the expectation and sell on the news, so the dollar will probably rise before any of these things actually happen in real life.

And I don't think my friends will continue to make money indefinitely by continuing to short the dollar. Multi-year profitable trading strategies like that just don't happen in real life! Or at least that's what I keep telling myself since I missed the boat and still refuse to jump in now.

Do you really think Obama can win? I have serious doubts about his electability, all his opponents have to do is the replace the "m" in last name with an "s". Hilary has done this effectively by spreading rumors that he is a Muslim. McCain would be chew him up.

Check out this Flickr parody of Obama:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pchoutx/2368071154/

Obama spent some of his childhood in Indonesia, which is a hotbed of Islamic fundamentalism, its a country that is as dangerous as Iran.

I think Hilary is going to win. An interesting new political tool is this new online comic book set in 2011 called "Shooting War" basically it focuses on a future where McCain is the next President and the US continues the fight in Iraq.

Hillary doesn't even really have a chance at this point. Maybe 1 in 10 to win the nomination, at best.

And yeah, I think Obama will probably beat McCain. But you never know. If McCain does become President, then I bet the US dollar will stay down for quite a bit longer, because he'll spend as much money as Bush did on Iraq, if not more, and he'll refuse to raise taxes to pay for it... keeping the Bush policy of fighting wars and lowering taxes at the same time. :scared:

As for the Muslim rumor-mongering thing, that's not really a problem. It's pretty easy for him to show that he's always been a Christian... I think he even attended a Catholic school during the time he was in Indonesia. If it would have worked to say he could have been a Muslim by saying "oh my gosh, look his name is just like Osama but different!" then it would have already worked for Billary in all these primaries.

Yeah but do you think Obama will be tough against Islamic terrorism? I don't think he is going to be firm on national security, McCain has much better credentials for defending the US and Western civilization, and this is still important.

Yeah, I think Obama will have at least as good a chance as Bush and the Republicans at finding bin Laden (0%?). I'm not sure where you really want him to do to be "tough" other than Pakistan/Afghanistan... Iraq is the only place the policy may change.

In my view, saying "I work with ******s" isn't different than saying "I work with negroes" or "I work with 'spics". It's not cursing, but it is going to raise eyebrows when you group people together and "talk down" in this way when discussing them.
Uh, yeah, but if you know TT, he didnt just walk into the conversation. Its how all his posts are. It was supposed to be funny. Chill out a little and dont get so offended.

Kthx.