Quantcast

lancaster course in ophthalmology at colby college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efh4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While looking at some program's sites, I noticed that a few of them (it seems the smaller ones) send their residents to the lancaster course in ophthalmology at colby college in maine during one summer. Does anyone know anything about this? Is that a warning sign if these programs are not equipped to teach their residents themselves or just due to the size of the program/department? Thanks.

mdkurt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most residencies start with an intro-to-ophtho cram session lasting a couple weeks. The smaller programs don't have the depth of faculty to do this, so they latch onto bigger programs. Not a cause for concern. The Lancaster course is LONG, but good and has been given for decades. My dad went to it in the late 60s.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many excellent programs send their residents to a 6 week course in maine. It doesn't mean that the programs are weak. The course is mostly didactic lectures and the residents absolutely love it b/c it's like a 6 week vacation.

Visioncam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it is good if a program sends their residents to either the Lancaster course or the Houston course. There is one at Stanford but only a few programs send their residents there (last I heard was Texas Tech, Naval Hosptial-San Diego, California Pacific Medical Center and a few others). It's mostly Germans and Swiss that go to Stanford.

I heard of one program who stopped sending residents because the chairman wanted to save money. That program really needed it because didactics were poor. So one should not conclude that a program is strong because it doesn't send (or claims not to need to send) residents to courses.