Landing a competitive residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simbalimba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently in the process of choosing which school to attend next year, my choices are CCOM, DMU and PCOM (philly). My biggest, most important criteria is the school which will give me the best edge to land a competitive residency. I understand completely that all of these schools are excellent schools and I can achieve my goal from all of them but I also understand that some schools are geared towards different things. I wanted to ask med students currently attending these and other schools what are the most important charecteristics to look for when looking for a school which will help me get into a competitive residency. From reading other posts one piece of advice I learned was having more elective rotations in both third and fourth years. What are others? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Something that was far from my mind as a premed -- does the school give you time off to study for boards? We got time at the end of 2nd year to prepare for step 1, and in fourth year a month of semi-mandatory prep class plus another month of prep time. (Not that you need two full months for either step, but studying for boards while on rotations does not look like fun and can't help the scores of students forced to do so).

If you think you might do an ACGME (MD) residency, it is smart to take both the COMLEX and the USMLE. Any school-sponsored prep class will focus on COMLEX, so you will need some flexible time to prepare yourself for both.

Something that was far from my mind as a premed -- does the school give you time off to study for boards? We got time at the end of 2nd year to prepare for step 1, and in fourth year a month of semi-mandatory prep class plus another month of prep time. (Not that you need two full months for either step, but studying for boards while on rotations does not look like fun and can't help the scores of students forced to do so).

If you think you might do an ACGME (MD) residency, it is smart to take both the COMLEX and the USMLE. Any school-sponsored prep class will focus on COMLEX, so you will need some flexible time to prepare yourself for both.

Ladygrey if u dont mind me askin what school are u attending? Would u kno or care to comment on the amount of time available at dmu, ccom, and/or pcom? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what i've heard those schools are all on par with each other. I know PCOM has an impressive match list in comparisson to some other schools but am uneasy to make an unqualified statement such as it severely dominates other DO schools.

UMDNJ SOM -- I honestly don't know anything about the time available from your 3 choices. I believe it was students from Kirksville that I've met who at least for step 1 had no protected time to study.

Ladygrey if u dont mind me askin what school are u attending? Would u kno or care to comment on the amount of time available at dmu, ccom, and/or pcom? Thanks.

You have more than enough time to study for boards at DMU. You have about 2 months off after 2nd year classes end and you are given 8 weeks total to be used as vacation/study time for 3rd and 4th year.

I currently in the process of choosing which school to attend next year, my choices are CCOM, DMU and PCOM (philly). My biggest, most important criteria is the school which will give me the best edge to land a competitive residency. I understand completely that all of these schools are excellent schools and I can achieve my goal from all of them but I also understand that some schools are geared towards different things. I wanted to ask med students currently attending these and other schools what are the most important charecteristics to look for when looking for a school which will help me get into a competitive residency. From reading other posts one piece of advice I learned was having more elective rotations in both third and fourth years. What are others? Thanks guys.

None of those schools are better than its counterpart..you should do a search on this issue you will see tons of threads. In a nutshell, stellar board scores, good academic standing, good clinical recommendation letters...beyond those factors is the applicant itself. Factors you should look for in schools are its location and how that fits into your life, its student body's satisfaction, facilities and more importantly its core rotation sites. Again these things are very much subjective..so don't stress all schools you listed above are good..you will be alright!

If you want to land a competitive residency, that is going to depend on you and only you. I know you're probably thinking well duh....but it really doesn't matter what school you go to. I am unfamiliar with some of the brand new DO schools but any of the established DO schools will provide you with the tools to do well on your boards and on your clinical rotations. I imagine the new DO schools would also provide you with a good education, you just might have more "kinks" so to speak to deal with. I too as a premed thought it mattered where you went but it doesn't.

If you want to land a competitive residency, that is going to depend on you and only you. I know you're probably thinking well duh....but it really doesn't matter what school you go to. I am unfamiliar with some of the brand new DO schools but any of the established DO schools will provide you with the tools to do well on your boards and on your clinical rotations. I imagine the new DO schools would also provide you with a good education, you just might have more "kinks" so to speak to deal with. I too as a premed thought it mattered where you went but it doesn't.

This is 100% true. You and ONLY you have the power to land the residency you want.
I think the bolded part of AmyO's response should be your main inquiry when choosing a school. Make sure they have the resources to teach you basic science the first 2 years, and that their clinical rotations are at good hospitals where you will learn the most (super important). Residencies don't don't go "Oh, they went to DMU. She's a shoe in, we must pursue her" They go "Hey this person has a 650 on COMLEX I and 3.8GPA, involved in a,b,c... x,y,z, great LOR, etc".

Working your ***** off during away rotations helps too.

One thing I would like to add to the subject

I'm currently at an ACGME university program - and participated in making the rank list for our program last year

The schools you're attending is certainly a factor (not the only factor but one of the many factors). If the faculty and program have had good experiences with alumni (and medical students) from certain schools, they are looked upon more favorably than relatively unknown schools (aka the newer DO schools). Yes, board scores and clinical rotations are important ... but when ranking people, you'll be amazing at how many people have similar board scores, similar comments on the dean's letter (actually called the MSPE). It all comes down to interview scores, personality, etc.

PCOM, CCOM, and DMU all have long histories, and a strong tradition of producing strong physicians. Like most medical schools, there are regional preferences. You will find most CCOM graduates in the Chicago area. For Philadelphia, it will be PA/NJ/NY/DE. DMU will be midwest. All 3 will prepare you for the residencies that you want ... if you have a particular region in mind - one school may be better than another. The rest is up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you want to land a competitive residency, that is going to depend on you and only you. I know you're probably thinking well duh....but it really doesn't matter what school you go to. I am unfamiliar with some of the brand new do schools but any of the established do schools will provide you with the tools to do well on your boards and on your clinical rotations. I imagine the new do schools would also provide you with a good education, you just might have more "kinks" so to speak to deal with. I too as a premed thought it mattered where you went but it doesn't.
+1

Think about how easy it will be to do elective rotations at programs in which you are interested. I would think this would be easier in either Chicago or Philly. I would pick Chicago, but I am biased. My advice regardless of which school you choose is to do well on USMLE step one, read voraciously for your clinical rotations and get to know the people at the programs you are interested in by rotating there. Best of luck.

just wondering, what kind of competitive residency are you looking at? plastics? rad-onc? derm? neurosurgery? if you're considering allopathic residencies, some programs won't consider a d.o. graduate, no matter what kind of research they've done or their usmle score. they won't come straight out and say it (some programs will, however) but some residencies are apparently off-limits to osteopathic graduates - i don't know why but this is the truth. the situation is improving but bias still exists.

The climate is changing. Institutions are beginning to recognize the level of performance put forth by DO students. Keep up the good work.

looking back, my post was kind of negative - it wasn't meant to discourage ppl from going for allo residencies but to let them know that it won't come easy (trust me, i'm finding that out day by day with rejections :rolleyes:). rocking your boards is a prerequisite and doing an away rotation to show just how much of a superstar badass you are in person will really help set you apart from other applicants. if you want it bad enough, you can make it happen.

looking back, my post was kind of negative - it wasn't meant to discourage ppl from going for allo residencies but to let them know that it won't come easy (trust me, i'm finding that out day by day with rejections :rolleyes:). rocking your boards is a prerequisite and doing an away rotation to show just how much of a superstar badass you are in person will really help set you apart from other applicants. if you want it bad enough, you can make it happen.

Do you think that includes an integrated plastics spot on the west coast? I have had multiple reconstructions for a birthmark, with the first one at age 13. My surgeon was amazing, and he really got me interested in plastics. I have done a lot of research on the programs (fellowship after GS) offered in the osteopathic world, and have been quite impressed. The only thing that the integrated spots can offer me on top of the DO programs is :cool:location:cool: (I miss the mild seasons of the west coast). Though I am only a first year whose mind may change, and am a year and a half from taking the first step of the boards, I wish there was a way to get some answers on the subject.

Last edited:
Do you think that includes an integrated plastics spot on the west coast? I have had multiple reconstructions for a birthmark, with the first one at age 13. My surgeon was amazing, and he really got me interested in plastics. I have done a lot of research on the programs (fellowship after GS) offered in the osteopathic world, and have been quite impressed. The only thing that the integrated spots can offer me on top of the DO programs is :cool:location:cool: (I miss the mild seasons of the west coast). Though I am only a first year whose mind may change, and am a year and a half from taking the first step of the boards, I wish there was a way to get some answers on the subject.

anything is possible for a d.o applying to allo match, except for integrated plastics. i don't think that this is necessarily because we are d.o's, but more because integrated plastics is just THAT hard - there are very few spots and so many more m.d's than d.o.'s that even apply for these integrated spots to begin with. if your'e competing with the top grads from the top medical schools, kids with insane research and stats, it'll be hard to match into integrated plastics no matter what. ( example: at the hospital i volunteer at, for the integrated plastics, they had 3 spots, and about 50 applicants with usmle scores over 240 ( which is incredible ), all of them had research and all were from top 30 med schools...)

other than that i've seen d.o's in pretty much every field. take advantage of ur osteopathic plastic surgery fellowships and apply to the one's in l.a. and new york, those locations aren't too bad.

to the OP:

i attend ccom and it's an amazing school. our rotations are with some of the best hospitals in chicago, and i think that's definitely a plus over des moines.

chicago is a huge city with tons of hospitals, so it definitely puts you at an edge for landing a good residency ( as there are so many programs here ) .everyone in chicago knows ccom really well and plenty of our grads matched into radiology, e.r., ent facial plastics, anesthesia, and even allopathic dermatology last year.

PCOM has a sick match list as well too - but i mean, philly...do you really want to live there? =)

I definitely agree with you regarding integrated plastics. I have seen DO's that have matched transplant, ENT, optho, etc. in the allopathic match. I have found a DO or two that have been through GS and PRS at UCLA (fellowship pathway), but Integrated PRS seems to be the untouchable pathway for nearly everyone. Like I said, the only thing that would make me want to do the allo match over the osteo match is location. But who knows, maybe I would like PA, MI, NY, or OH.