Landing a job in Canada after training in the USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shoopoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for me to join an academic medical institution in canada and become a physician scientist after completing residency and fellowship in the USA? What is the status of academic medicine in Canada. I'm a FMG from india

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it depends on each province. For ontario they have This option called 4th pathway where IMG who did residency in USA can get licensed . CPSO - Pathway 4 – IMG with US Postgraduate Training and Certification
Yeah I know about this. But I've heard that you can mostly just get jobs in rural and undeserved settings because it's hard to find them in big cities. Are there academic institutions and all in such areas ? I'm sorry I don't know the healthcare system well. I would really hope to join academic medicine in Canada

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love if someone with experience into the whole move can answer!

Yeah I know about this. But I've heard that you can mostly just get jobs in rural and undeserved settings because it's hard to find them in big cities. Are there academic institutions and all in such areas ? I'm sorry I don't know the healthcare system well. I would really hope to join academic medicine in Canada
Well there is no guarantee but you can work your way up . But this is only place you can start. Other way is to transfer residency when you were doing residency but since you already done. This is only way as far as I know . I heard ppl worked in rural for a year under supervision and then transferred to big cities when they got their independent license.

Well there is no guarantee but you can work your way up . But this is only place you can start. Other way is to transfer residency when you were doing residency but since you already done. This is only way as far as I know . I heard ppl worked in rural for a year under supervision and then transferred to big cities when they got their independent license.
Hmm that makes sense. Although, transferring residency might be tough I guess

Hello. I am an IMG, planning to do a residency in US. My husnand wants to stay in Canada with a PR. Is it possible to transfer residency in canada ?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello. I am an IMG, planning to do a residency in US. My husnand wants to stay in Canada with a PR. Is it possible to transfer residency in canada ?
yes it is possible . you can transfer after a year in uni program. syracause uni program is super friendly with canadians.

yes it is possible . you can transfer after a year in uni program. syracause uni program is super friendly with canadians.
Thanks. That sounds great. And how about the Canadian Schools? Do they accept transfers? Or should I complete a residency in the US and then move back and clear licensing exams?

Thanks. That sounds great. And how about the Canadian Schools? Do they accept transfers? Or should I complete a residency in the US and then move back and clear licensing exams?
yes they accept but you have talk to particular programs. finishing us residency , then going to practice in canada has its own process which i posted the link in the thread . at the end you have both options see which one you prefer.

I have never heard of anyone transferring from a US residency to a Canadian residency. I don't think it would be possible in the conventional transfer way due to the systems being entirely different. That being said, if you are a Canadian citizen or PR and fulfill the other IMG requirements you could re-apply to CaRMS during your US residency but you will likely have to start from the beginning on the chance you're accepted.