Landing a residency slot in Texas as on out-of-state DO student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it? I am a Texas resident, but will start at AZCOM in the fall. I want to return to Texas for my residency.....will this be easy? Anyone with experience in regards to this? I'm not sure what residency yet...maybe IM.

Thanks for any help you guys/gals can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will be hard for you to get a Texas residency. My husband is a 4th year AZCOM student going into anesthesiology. He interviewed at UT Southwestern and in San Antonio with good prospects. Last year I know of students who matched to residencies in Texas. You will want to do rotations in Texas in your 3rd or 4th years and I think you will be fine!
My hubby didn't do any rotations in Texas but he still was given interviews at the two Texas programs he applied to. Good Luck and enjoy Arizona.

Robin

•••quote:•••Originally posted by RCsquared:
•I don't think it will be hard for you to get a Texas residency. My husband is a 4th year AZCOM student going into anesthesiology. He interviewed at UT Southwestern and in San Antonio with good prospects. Last year I know of students who matched to residencies in Texas. You will want to do rotations in Texas in your 3rd or 4th years and I think you will be fine!
My hubby didn't do any rotations in Texas but he still was given interviews at the two Texas programs he applied to. Good Luck and enjoy Arizona.

Robin•••••Thanks Robin!

I was beginning to think that no one could answer my question. You have definitely made me feel better. Thanks again, and I wish you and your husband all of the best!

titan

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi RCsquared,

I was just wondering if your could tell me a bit about UTSW and San Antonio's anesth programs. I was once interested in the program. You are welcome to private message me. I curious about what you think about the program. thanks.

Titan,

It doesn't matter at all where you are from. In fact, it might help you if you tell the PD's that you're from TX and wish to practice there. Just kinda tell them you're interested in the "area." You don't want to give them the impression that you're going to relocate in their territory. Competition, you know.

I don't think you'll have any problems matching in Texas.

My husband would definitely be better at explaining what he thought of the programs at UTSW and San Antonio but ... he isn't here so I will give it a shot. My hubby was pretty impressed with San Antonio. He thought they had a very solid program with a very good working environment. The clinical experience there is a plus. The negative would probably be teaching lectures. That is what the dean felt the weakness of the program was when he was asked. But... they are working on that. My husband liked San Antonio enough to rank it 2nd!

UTSW he ranked but it was last on his list. They work you much harder there. Whenever I mention UTSW on other websites for info ... the feedback is always about overworked residents. My husband's impression was favorable but he knows he would be really busy. They do see every kind of procedure so you will definitely get the experience.

Hope this gives you a little bit of an idea. The one thing I have found through this whole crazy process is that EVERYONE has a different opinion about residency programs because everyone is so different. My husband was looking for a program that he could be comfortable at and get the experience necessary to feel ready for practice when he gets out. He is not into research or prestige as much. He definitely liked San Antonio best of the two programs. Hope this helps a little.

Robin