language barrier as the adversity question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LnSin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I immigrated to this country when I was really young, causing me to assimilate into the american culture very readily. Thus, I lost the ability to SPEAK my mother tongue, but UNDERSTAND it near perfectly (weird, right?). Unfortunately, my Grandmother could only SPEAK our language, but BARELY understand English (we're talking a few words here...)! Thus, it was a great ordeal for me to communicate with her, especially nearing her passing. Near her death, I taught myself a large portion of our language, just so I could talk to her--what kind of grandson would I be if I couldn't say "I love you" in my tongue to a woman who gave me so much growing up?

Would this topic be too trivial for the adversity question? I can clearly see how it relates to healthcare: language and culture barriers are a very real thing. But is this in line with what AdComs are expecting when we talk about challenges we face? I don't want to come off as entitled, or something. Is it presented OK?

Members don't see this ad.

Near her death, I taught myself a large portion of our language, just so I could talk to her--what kind of grandson would I be if I couldn't say "I love you" in my tongue to a woman who gave me so much growing up?

Not an Adcom, but I just wanted to say how sweet and adorable this was of you. I'm glad you were able to express your love and bid farewell to your grandmother in her mother tongue. I'm sure it meant a lot to her and I'm glad she had such an impact on your life :)

I never knew any of my grandparents so I have a sweet spot for these kind of stories and fantasize over them.

Reactions: 1 user
Not an Adcom, but I just wanted to say how sweet and adorable this was of you. I'm glad you were able to express your love and bid farewell to your grandmother in her mother tongue. I'm sure it meant a lot to her and I'm glad she had such an impact on your life :)

I never knew any of my grandparents so I have a sweet spot for these kind of stories and fantasize over them.

Thanks! I'm really glad I was able to as well, and I know that it meant a lot to her. We all want a peaceful death where those around us are happy, I think. And that's the least you can try to give someone. That's what I see in every culture, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think it's a really neat story especially with all the work you put in to learn the language to communicate with her. I'm not an adcom, but for me, I'd say go for it.

I think this is perfectly fine and would make a good adversity essay.

Yeah. I'd also relate the experience into learning more about your own culture, and realizing things you previously did not realize about your community.

Yeah. I'd also relate the experience into learning more about your own culture, and realizing things you previously did not realize about your community.

That's a neat insight I hadn't thought about; thanks!

That's a neat insight I hadn't thought about; thanks!

..... This is so ironic it's almost comical. I have to comment on this. Sorry.

..... This is so ironic it's almost comical. I have to comment on this. Sorry.

Well the experience was more emotional for me than anything, and I remember more doing it for my grandma, and not for enriching my cultural experience. But in hindsight, I can appreciate how I learned more about my culture as an artifact of me overcoming the language barrier.

Not sure how it's ironic, though?

Because you are contriving it. The original response is good enough because (I hope) it was true. When you write from the bottom of your heart, people can feel it no matter how clumsy it is. Adding your new found appreciation is poisoning the well because I bet you cannot write anything that can come close to being as interesting as the first part.

Ah I see what you mean. The "after the fact" introspection clouds the initial emotion that highlights the challenge that I want to portray. That's a fair point.

I immigrated to this country when I was really young, causing me to assimilate into the american culture very readily. Thus, I lost the ability to SPEAK my mother tongue, but UNDERSTAND it near perfectly (weird, right?). Unfortunately, my Grandmother could only SPEAK our language, but BARELY understand English (we're talking a few words here...)! Thus, it was a great ordeal for me to communicate with her, especially nearing her passing. Near her death, I taught myself a large portion of our language, just so I could talk to her--what kind of grandson would I be if I couldn't say "I love you" in my tongue to a woman who gave me so much growing up?

Would this topic be too trivial for the adversity question? I can clearly see how it relates to healthcare: language and culture barriers are a very real thing. But is this in line with what AdComs are expecting when we talk about challenges we face? I don't want to come off as entitled, or something. Is it presented OK?
This will be great. Speak from the heart.