Language barriers w/in residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irlandesa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know that IM has a large # of IMG's in residency programs nowadays; most are highly qualified and proficient in the English language from what I hear. But, has anyone ever encountered significant problems in communicating with a fellow resident whose first language is not English? If so, how did you deal with this issue? And, are there any programs where language barriers are known to cause notable trouble between IMG's and MD/DO graduates? I have heard that St. Elizabeth's in Boston has been known to have this problem from time to time, particularly in written communication, but would like to know of any other programs. I don't wish to offend any IMG's out there as some of the very best clinical teachers I've had are IMG's, but I would prefer to attend a program where all of the residents write and speak English well. thanks in advance for any info

Members don't see this ad.

irlandesa said:
Hi, I know that IM has a large # of IMG's in residency programs nowadays; most are highly qualified and proficient in the English language from what I hear. But, has anyone ever encountered significant problems in communicating with a fellow resident whose first language is not English? If so, how did you deal with this issue? And, are there any programs where language barriers are known to cause notable trouble between IMG's and MD/DO graduates? I have heard that St. Elizabeth's in Boston has been known to have this problem from time to time, particularly in written communication, but would like to know of any other programs. I don't wish to offend any IMG's out there as some of the very best clinical teachers I've had are IMG's, but I would prefer to attend a program where all of the residents write and speak English well. thanks in advance for any info

Noo offfice tacken!.. As u cann tel, I speek Englishman-London very good, and I too do no want mixx-salad with other SOB FMGs. Too ans-war ur qestion, I idea NewYork Sity hospitals take alot off FOB FMGs intoo their residences.

I would particullarlyy stayy away from IM residences in Brooklyn and Queens. They are ful off FMG 100%.

by the way, DO u DO DO studY. I personnaly know allottt off RUSSIA student DO doctors who went to NYCOM. Most off them speek very poorman English. oNE OF them was my cheif resident, bad bad very bad speek. So not only FMG speek LONDON bad. DO doctors can also!!!!

Good green Irish flower to you, thank u very much, and come-again!!!

Leukocyte said:
Noo offfice tacken!.. As u cann tel, I speek Englishman-London very good, and I too do no want mixx-salad with other SOB FMGs. Too ans-war ur qestion, I idea NewYork Sity hospitals take alot off FOB FMGs intoo their residences.

I would particullarlyy stayy away from IM residences in Brooklyn and Queens. They are ful off FMG 100%.

well, being that it is a good idea to stay away from Brooklyn and Queen anyway, I'm not too worried:)

by the way, DO u DO DO studY. I personnaly know allottt off RUSSIA student DO doctors who went to NYCOM. Most off them speek very poorman English. oNE OF them was my cheif resident, bad bad very bad speek. So not only FMG speek LONDON bad. DO doctors can also!!!!
[/QUOTE]
well top of the mornin' to you too Mr. FOB/SOB.. Seriously, I don't know why people get so goofy over things like this.. This is no different from asking "I am a minority, what school/program takes a lot of minorities so I can feel at home?" and that seems to be a legit question on here. And I don't care about race or nationality, I just want to be able to communicate in my native language without extreme frusturation on anyone's part. I believe that anyone who is not proficient in English (this is not the same as having a wicked accent, although the Bah-ston accent often fails to resemble English or any other civilized language, I can translate it) should not be doing a residency in the US, just as I would have no business doing a residency in any Spanish-speaking country (my Spanish is fading fast). As far as FMG's, I might make an exception for a Gaelic-speaking Irishman with a nice rear or anyone whose first language is Pig Latin or Klingon:D
Oh yeah, FMG's and DO's can be just as snooty and arrogant as any of us meanie allopaths, no one group is the saving grace of medicine, believe me..

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, I don't know why people get so goofy over things like this.. This is no different from asking "I am a minority, what school/program takes a lot of minorities so I can feel at home?" and that seems to be a legit question on

I find that an interesting comparison. I imagine I would be banned from this website if I asked which hospital/school has the most number of URMs (that I should avoid) and whether their poor MCAT scores make them difficult to work with. It's all about the way you ask. If you pretend to be an FMG and ask what hospitals are FMGs friendly, you're golden (funny thing is many FMGs are so competitive with each other they would never share that information). If you are a USMG and ask what FMG-friendly hospitals to avoid, you are a pompous ass with no idea how medicine much more advanced than yours is practiced in the rural villages of X-country. Ironically, the answers to the two questions are identical. URMs and FMGs do contribute to the overall practice of medicine, but organize effort to legitimize backdoors and shortcuts leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

I am Raj, from India. hehe...Funny to see someone wishing to come to the melting pot (NYC) who asks about foreign-born people and their accents. I think you shoud do your residency somewhere in Minnesota or New Hamphshire.

You mean Durham??? Who the hell wants to live in that place? That easily explains your statement.

Raj, doesn't seem like you've got an accent problem at all...that reply is as New York as it gets! :laugh:

rajvosa said:
You mean Durham??? Who the hell wants to live in that place? That easily explains your statement.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? You say something about FMG's and strength of the program, and I point out how you are wrong. I lived in NYC for the last 3 years before I came to Duke - quit talking out of your ass.

I do not know anything about FMGs from Duke. I have no clue how many and from what country they came from. Yes Duke may be an exception to this rule and this may well be due to its poor location. Sorry, but Durham, NC is really not a hot place to live the best years of your life.

If you look at MGH, Columbia, Penn, Hopkins, etc, you will find one or two FMGs. These FMGs are either exceptional in something (e.g. research) or they have some connections. Why would they accept FMGs when many USMGs do not even get an interview?

That's just it - Duke is atypical in that they will look at ANYONE - as long as they are the best; there is no USMG bias.

As far as the "best years of your life" - hell, if your best years are in residency, you are in sad shape. If you've noticed, Rochester, Minnesota ain't exactly beauteous, and it's a hell of a lot colder there than here. When I finish here, I'm getting out and going elsewhere. And, honestly, you have to be an idiot to think that FMG's come to Duke because of a "poor location"; whereas I would have loved to stay in NYC to do my residency (after my prelim year), I've met so many people that didn't want to venture near the city - I've bent over backwards trying to convince people that NYC is not a "cess pool" or "the entrance to Hell" (as these are 2 characterizations I've heard). Do the UCSF, UT-SW, Stanford, Cornell, Columbia, Mt. Sinai, Hopkins, and Harvard grads that all come to Duke do so because of a "poor location"?

By the way, the only FMG's Mt. Sinai takes in IM are people that went to Sackler - average of one per year.

rajvosa said:

Hell, it's a great place to live. The time there was mentally challenging, but they were some of the best years of my life, up to now. Life will only get better, but I would not change a thing about my years at Duke, including the city of Durham.

Are there better places to live? Certainly. But I'm not the type of person who is so close minded that the location of Duke would have kept me away from there.

For those interested in better communications with fellow residents:

Just to let yoiu know, therew is a language translator selling in office depot for $50. It can translate anylanguage to englkish and back to that language. I suggest that you try this out.

If this doesnt work, consider hiring another resident as a translator.(Part time of course. Note: Please do not violate the 80 hour limit of ACGME when moonlighiting as a translator)

If that doesnt work either, I suggest that you simply stop communicating with your fellow residents. I can guarrrrreeeennntttee 100 % sucess with this method. Good Luck.