Laparoscopic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pknight

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you recommend me some lists of hospitals that are good for laparoscopic surgery and also academic discussion in the US. I'm a foreigner who want to come and observe for a while.

Thank you,
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Cedars Sinai is fantastic for laparoscopic surgery.

Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) also has an amazing laparoscopic surgery fellowship. Not surprising, since the Chair of OHSU's Department of Surgery, Dr. John Hunter, wrote the chapter in Schwartz on Minimally Invasive Surgery.

Cedars Sinai is fantastic for laparoscopic surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree that most hospitals with lap fellowships probably do more of the interesting advanced cases and would be good choices for an elective. Check out the NRMP for a list of MIS fellowships.

Can you recommend me some lists of hospitals that are good for laparoscopic surgery and also academic discussion in the US. I'm a foreigner who want to come and observe for a while.

Thank you,
:)

The University of Virginia, specifically Bruce D. Schirmer, M.D. He is simply a great teacher. Loads of laparoscopic cases from Endocrine to Urology to General Surgery. Go to the UVa Medical Center website and get his contact information.

would laproscopic surgery be useful to a surgeon on the mission field? Or would it be better if they stuck to open surgery?

"Mission field" - are you referring to doing cases in the field while on a missing trip?

Stick to the basics - open surgery, thyroids, etc. You won't have fancy equipment in most cases nor have the option of doing laparoscopy.