Laptop computers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muonwhiz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get rid of my ancient machine and get a new laptop before starting med school this fall. I figure that it should have at least 20 gigs on the hard drive to handle large medical applications. What other suggestions are boding out there in student land? Anyone recommend particular brand names and models to go for or stay away from? Thanks for all info!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi muonwhiz:

Have you looked into Dell Computers? They have a really good education department that gives great prices on new computers. I would recommend that in addition to a more than ample 20gig drive you get plenty of ram. I think the standard is 128Mb now. If not your applications run real slowwww. Especially if you are into multi-tasking. Make sure you have a decent Video Graphics card with at least 32Mb of Ram for video clips and the like. Luck to you with this endeavor. Let me know what you settle on.
biggrin.gif

I'll second the nod for Dell. I just got a P3 850mHz laptop with a 128mb, 20 gig HD and a DVD player, reconditioned but fully warrantied, for $1500. I love it.

Spang

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally recommend Gateway. They have a large variety. And besides the usual like lots of ram, gig, and warranty, you can trade it in after 2 years for a computer of equal or lesser value. All you would have to do is pay the difference. It's great.

I also strongly recomend Dell. I went with a Dell referb about a year ago and love it.

I really don't think you need a 20 gig hard drive. I went with a 6 gig and have plenty of room. I am running a celeron with 8mb video ram around a 500 processor and 96mb RAM. It is more than enough. I use my computer 8-9hours per day everyday and have run all types of programs without ever having a problem. (I don't do any gaming though if that is important) I strongly recomend having a second hard drive availble so you can burn copies of disks. Burners are great for making copies of large powerpoint files, sets of notes etc.

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

Howdy,

Are laptops useful at KCOM? What I mean, will having a laptop in lecture and around campus worth the price and the hassle of carrying it around compared to using a desk top at home with DSL or Cable?

------------------
BSD
______
Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day

Hi BSD, This is my two cents. I am a computer science major and a computer guru. I will be starting at NSUCOM this fall. I dont know the policy at KCOM for laptops but I can tell you about using a laptop in class from my undergrad experience. Using a labtop in class is cool if you can type fast and be organized. The only thing thind I dislike is not being able to scrible in images or pictures. Sometimes Profs. will draw something on the board and then you have no way of putting that in your Word document, unless you quickly bring up the Paint Program and ahhh I found it to be a hassle. Even though I am a big computer person, I still find myself using the traditional paper and pencil/pen. Hope this helps and Good Luck!
biggrin.gif
AJC

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by BigSkyDreams:
Howdy,

Are laptops useful at KCOM? What I mean, will having a laptop in lecture and around campus worth the price and the hassle of carrying it around compared to using a desk top at home with DSL or Cable?

[This message has been edited by acaban (edited April 28, 2001).]

You definately don't have to have a laptop at KCOM but I don't ever go a day without mine. Sometimes I use it in class to type up notes, view powerpoint presentations, e-mail etc. Besides in a long day it is my connection to home and to my outside interests. It is nice to have a laptop so you can be working on projects and still sit in the classroom at the same time.

Haveing the DSL is nice as well. Of the people that I know that have laptops most of them bring them every day. Hope that helps.

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

Well I give another big + to Dell, and I also say take a look into Toshiba... mainly I suggest Dell though

Western Univ/COMP requires all incoming students (both DO and Pharm) now to have a computer: The minimum stats are as follows:

500MHz Intel Celeron, PIII, or K6-2
Screen: 12.1" Active Matrix
Video: 8MB ram (?? don't know why so much...)
Memory: 64MB SDRAM (Win 98)
128MB SDRAM (Win 2K)
Floppy: 1.44MB Int'l/Ext'l (??again, why??)
Hard Drive: 10GB
CD-Rom
S/W: Office 2000 (Word, PowerPt, Outlook)
IE 5.0
Norton AntiVirus
Win Media Player 6.4+
Ethernet: 10/100, Int'l or PCMCIA
Modem: 56k, Int'l or PCMCIA

I would highly recommend that anyone interested in purchasing a laptop go to www.cnet.com They've got great reviews, and will even find the lowest prices for you.

PB

I am Computer Science grad preparing for med school who has used many Laptop's for everything from business Apps to hardcore software development.

You cannot go wrong with a Dell or Toshiba. They both make very powerful lightweight models.
For Dell Checkout the Inspririon 4000 and 2100 models.
For Toshiba checkout the Satellite Pro or Protege'.

These machines are powerful, lightweight and stand up to the rigors of travel.

Every other brand I have owned I have had troubles with.

I suggest:
P-III or greater
128 ram
20g+ HD.
8mb+ Video Card

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice! I decided to go with a Dell Inspiron 8000, 1GHz, 256 SD RAM, 32 gigs, CD/RW/DVD, port replicator, MS Office 2000, free 1 yr Dell Internet hookup, Norton AntiVirus, etc. There's alot of price wars going on now, and I got a great deal. If you are in the market, now's a good time to buy.

muonwhiz,
nice setup! I'm using my Inspiron 8000 right now and I love it (except maybe the fact that it runs Windows ME). Well, XP is due out at the end of the year, not that I have too high of hopes (don't tell Uncle Bill Gates). With your setup you should be set for quite a while.