Laptop for Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Literati81

Poor Nerd
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my brother wants to buy me a laptop as a graduation present. The problem is that I heard that at UCLA, a specific laptop comes in your "kit" (I'm not sure what they call it). Is this true? Or is there only software that comes in the kit? If so, is this the same for all other Cali dental schools (requiring specific laptops)? Hope this makes sense!

Members don't see this ad.

At the interview, you will sign a paper stating that you will purchase a laptop w/ required specs. It actually will be a laptop the school gets us and added into part of our fees. I believe it'll be a P3 Gateway. Also, we will be getting a pager and loupes as well. UOP has required laptops that's also part of your fees. For UCSF and LLU, there are no particular required laptop, so its whatever you choose. I dont think there's a laptop requirement for USC as well. Hope this helps.
:D

USC does not require any specific laptop, and they don't tell us to buy it. I just want to know if you guys think it is a necessary?

Members don't see this ad :)
The whole laptop thing is (usually) a way for the school to make money.. They usually charge you over 2200 dollars for it when you go to Best Buy (or anywhere else) and get a REALLY nice one for 1500..

The talk about "special software" is a bunch of hooey IMHO.

Gatorfan.

bbpower said:
For UCSF and LLU, there are no particular required laptop, so its whatever you choose.
:D
Not completely true for UCSF. They don't specify a particular laptop but they do have some requirements for what it should have.