Laptop necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Weebs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a laptop really necessary for medical school? I currently have a 17" Dell Inspiron laptop, but I'm not sure that would be the best thing to be toting around school everyday if I need one. Do you really need a laptop at school? And if so, should I buy a smaller laptop than my current one? Thanks for any help on this topic!

Members don't see this ad.

Ask students at the school you'll be attending to see what they think. I'm a laptop junkie & took mine to school nearly every day, but I could've done just fine without it since my school had 2 computer labs we could use along with computers in the study rooms.

many schools literally require you to have either a notebook or tablet.

for me, my notebook is vital. i love being able to up-root and study where i feel like it (and i need the stuff on my powerbook to do so). also good for looking stuff up and distraction.

some people print all the powerpoints out and just take stacks and stacks of notebooks....

I would say that a laptop is not necessary at all as long as you have access to either the computer lab or a desktop at home.

It is a nice convenience though if you like to study at the coffee shop.