Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Laptop or Desktop?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by vmac, Feb 4, 2000.

1. vmac

vmac Member

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted into DMU for next fall and need advice about what type of computer would be best for a medical student. I know that some schools recommend or even require a laptop, but DMU has no such policy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Vmac

St.Louis Rams 2000 World Champions!!!! Yeah Baby!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kenRN2DO

kenRN2DO New Member

I'm getting my pre-reqs done for DO school now. While getting my RN I used a Dell Inspiron 3500 notebook. It was awesome. Notes where so easy to take IN class with the second battery added for 6+ hours of life! A big screen (>13") is a must, min. 64MB RAM, min. 300mhz Intel Celeron, >4G HD & a 56k built-in modem. I won't buy another desktop. Why? My notebook can do as much as any desktop, in fact more...it's portable! Perfect for study session at school, a restaraunt or anywhere you want! I'd go with a notebook in a heart beat again! I'm partial to DELL! They are rated #1 for customer service, warranty, repair (in home!) and product quality. Others to consider are Gateway and IBM. Avoid at ALL COSTS the following notebooks: Compaq, Toshiba, Fujitsu and NEC. You will be much happier if you order on line or by phone from Dell or Gateway and have them build it EXACTLY as you wish! You will be happier down the road...the extra money is well worth it. Dell is the Lexus of Notebooks...Gateway is like Volvo. The others (ex. Compaq)....can you say "Pinto"? Have a good day! :)

4. vmac

vmac Member

Thanks for the advice!

vmac

5. darly

darly Member

How much does one cost?

6. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Interesting you would bring up this topic. I've already decided to go with the laptop, but I'm torn on which brand. I always thought Toshiba was top dog. What happened, ken?

7. bri1856

bri1856 Member

I have both a laptop and a desktop. My advice is to buy a desktop unless you are prepared to spend ~$2500 or more. The problem is that in 3 or 4 years from now you'll find that your laptop just isn't powerful enough and there is very little you can do to upgrade it. However, the desktop is easily upgradeable. Don't get me wrong, I love my laptop. I bought it to work on my thesis and it truly was saviour. But if you don't really need the portability, then don't shell out all the extra cash for a laptop that is not as powerful and won't last as long as the desktop.

If you do decide to buy a laptop, then here is my best advice. Don't buy any brand that your local computer store doesn't sell extra batteries and other supplies for. I purchased a "Quantex" laptop. Quantex laptops are continually awarded "Best Buy" awards by the computer magazines (based on price and performance). I thought it would be a good buy. Shortly after I bought it, the company quit manufacturing it and making the parts for it. So if I decide to buy an extra drive, battery, docking station, etc. then I am out of luck. The computer superstores generally stock these types of supplies for the bigger brands.

Incidentally, if I were to buy another laptop, I would probably buy a Winbook or IBM. They are a little pricey, but are very good and reliable.

[This message has been edited by bri1856 (edited February 06, 2000).]

8. darly

darly Member

What if I already have a desktop? Should I get a laptop also, upgrade my desktop (it's
    ~3 years old), or just buy a new desktop? Would I use the computer for anything other than for papers, email, and the internet? Thanks for your replies [​IMG]

9. cholecalciferol

cholecalciferol Senior Member

Hi:

If there are LECOM students, do you find that you use your laptop alot in class to connect to lecture notes? If possible can you get by with a desktop and the right internet connection to hook into LECOMs computer system at home?

LECOM requires a minimum 300 mHz laptop. I already have a 233 mHz and I am wondering if that would be adequate since the 300 mHz is only about %30 faster.

Also does the orientation staff actually check to make sure that you do have aleast 300 mHz spec?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

10. I have a Dell desktop PII 300 and love it. No problems in a year and a half. I also have a recently purchased Toshiba laptop. So far it works fine.

Computers are just like cars, sometimes you get a lemon, no matter who the manufacturer is. I have a friend who has had nothing but problems with a gateway laptop - it has now been at gateway for over a month! I also know someone with a Fujitsu, no problems whatsoever and it is >2 years old.

I would have gotten a Dell, but it was too much $$$$$$. There are lotsa rebate deals out there at the big stores (much as I dislike them).

11. miglo

miglo Senior Member

I've had my Compaq Armada laptop (P90) for over 3.5 years and havent had ANY problems with it (besides a crappy battery).

12. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

I was wondering if anybody has heard of a company that will lease laptops. I know there are currently lease deals for desktops. As this is a relatively new angle for computer retailers I not even sure where to start. If this is a possibility, I definitely think it's a better idea then buying one. I've read recently that the current shelf life of your top of line desktop is only 2.5 years before it's obsolete (laptops can't be any better). Currently leases on desktops run around 3 years. I figure this way, I can have the portability and convenience of the laptop without wasting 2 grand on something that won't even last as long as a pair of jeans.

13. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

To clarify my previous post, I looking for a reputable company. One that someone has had a good experience with. Not some fly-by-night operation.

14. bri1856

bri1856 Member

Doc,

From what I have seen, the leases are reserved primarily for businesses. Gateway and IBMs webpages refer to their leases as being for small business customers. A typical lease for a decent notebook begins at about $70 per month. Depending on how long you want to keep a laptop, leasing may not be a cost effective option. Just my opinion, though!

15. euhsa

euhsa Senior Member

As far as lap tops are concerned, I have not seen anyone from our school or from any school carrying it around for their classes. You simply don't need one if you are a med student. In addition, you can get more memory, a bigger hard drive, and a chip with twice the clock speed (MHZ) for your dollar with a desktop. Therefore, I believe that it is more prudent for a medical student to go with a desktop rather than a laptop unless you are going to use it for other reasons.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Yeah Bri, I surfed the net and found a ramdom site or two. However, as you noted they wanted roughly $80 a month for some noname machine. Hardly a cost effective alternative. At that price I'd be better off buying it. You can get the desktops for around $30, which is a good value.

18. ebola95

ebola95 Senior Member

well, i have a gateway...excellent service all around and i have never had a problem with mine and i must say that i think that a laptop is a must for med school...first off, you know that you are going to need internet and e-mai options for keeping in touch with loved ones...but i would highly suggest that you get one with a high quality CDRom or a DVD drive, a quality video driver and a nice comfortalbe keyboard and mouse device you are comfortable with.

as far as which company to go with, it all depend on you, your finances, and what you want...pretty much you get for what you pay for....so be careful