Laptop required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slingblade the Surgeon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools require laptops?
And are they included in tuition?

Also, which schools require you to purchase your own microscope?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Slingblade the Surgeon:
Which schools require laptops?
And are they included in tuition?

Also, which schools require you to purchase your own microscope?

TIA

Although it's not required at KCOM, I think that most students get one because it is extremely helpful when downloading lecture notes, etc.. I think the only school that requires a laptop is COMP.

UNECOM also requires a laptop...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does UNECOM require you to purchase a specific laptop, or can you use one you currently have?

LECOM requires a laptop. COMP requires one too. Paid for by students (but including in the student loan budget - laf).

-A

Algae, UNECOM will put out a list in the spring of computer capabiity requirements, but when I interviewed there the students said they don't enforce it.

Howdy,

KCOM - not required, lecture notes are passed out (hardcopy) prior to class. Some may use it to take notes, most check email, play games, etc.

COMP requires one, but to be honest i think people can get away with not having one in class every day. We get hardcopies and not all professors have learned to use powerpoint lectures. i think they're trying to get everyone on the ball so that eventually, everything will be on "Blackboard" or powerpoint, etc.

but hey, it's a very convinient way to communicate with everone at our school and plus every room on campus is plugged into the net so it also helps for studying purposes (and downloading music ;) when you find some downtime or don't feel like paying attention).

we all pretty much just sign out microscopes and share it with a partner and only pay if some damage has been done to it.

~pyo
COMP '05

My laptop makes me flunk my tests because i end up playing on ebay and SDN during class. :mad:

UHS now requires a computer, but it doesn't need to be a laptop. There are no computer hook-ups in the classrooms, however, like there is at LECOM, Kirksville, etc. Microscopes are not required, as we use the "Slice of Life" slides on laserdisc. Some students here actually purchase their own laserdisc and player, but that's pretty expensive.

As for the computer requirements, the school doesn't offer internet service for off-campus access, so you must also pay for your own ISP. You can pretty much get away without having your own computer, though.