Laptop requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustAGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For minimum hardware requirements, my school lists a processor speed of 1.4 GHz (2 GHz recommended). Do they not know that processor architectures are so different that listing a minimum clock speed is completely meaningless? For example, an Intel Core 2 Duo U7500 @ 1.06 GHz outperforms an Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.80 GHz in CPU benchmarks. What are they going to have us running that say a 1.3 GHz Core 2 Duo isn't going to be able to handle? We have to access Blackboard, and the required software listed is MS Office. I'm confused.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a newer model that came out just a few months ago. I picked one with a Core 2 Duo CULV 1.3 GHz processor for the battery life (12 hours). I can just imagine getting to orientation and them telling me I need to get a new laptop.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a newer model that came out just a few months ago. I picked one with a Core 2 Duo CULV 1.3 GHz processor for the battery life (12 hours). I can just imagine getting to orientation and them telling me I need to get a new laptop.

just say this to their computer tech: "0100111001101111" If he doesnt understand it...you can just laugh and say when you understand what that means...then you can tell me what computer specs i need...If he does understand it, I guarantee he'll let you slide...

just say this to their computer tech: "0100111001101111" If he doesnt understand it...you can just laugh and say when you understand what that means...then you can tell me what computer specs i need...If he does understand it, I guarantee he'll let you slide...

no? lol. Yeah, the thing is that the school's computer tech is the one who put out the hardware requirements. Oh, well. I'm not going to buy a 2 GHz laptop that has only a 2 hour battery life to run MS Office. They'll have to deal with it.

2.4 GHz dual core with 4 hour battery life (normal, not extended battery). And I'm not getting Apple's marketing blown up my ass. Lenovo FTW.

We had "requirements" for computers too. I am running a 7 year old Toshiba Portege M205 with Windows 7 AND OpenSUSE 11.2, which doesn't come close to meeting the requirements. Windows Vista wasn't supposed to work on this beast, let alone Windows 7.

The bare requirements are so that people with no knowledge of computers can use all of the school's software without any problems. An older machine will work just fine, as long as you know how to tweak it properly.

2.4 GHz dual core with 4 hour battery life (normal, not extended battery). And I'm not getting Apple's marketing blown up my ass. Lenovo FTW.

Apple's marketing sucks, and many places don't have support for Mac products. I have to say that I love my new iPhone, but their computers are not as useful as they would seem.

For minimum hardware requirements, my school lists a processor speed of 1.4 GHz (2 GHz recommended). Do they not know that processor architectures are so different that listing a minimum clock speed is completely meaningless? For example, an Intel Core 2 Duo U7500 @ 1.06 GHz outperforms an Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.80 GHz in CPU benchmarks. What are they going to have us running that say a 1.3 GHz Core 2 Duo isn't going to be able to handle? We have to access Blackboard, and the required software listed is MS Office. I'm confused.

Don't assume the tech people actually know anything.

i use a netbook. works great for me. actually, a lot of students in my class have gotten netbooks as well. it really does the trick. other have macs, they do fine. digital histo etc are programs that are windows only so sometimes the mac students have a few issues. but dont make a big deal on what computer to get. just focus on studying...all the time.

Apple's marketing sucks, and many places don't have support for Mac products. I have to say that I love my new iPhone, but their computers are not as useful as they would seem.

lol. That really isn't an intelligent statement.

Apple's sales increased 90% recently. Their marketing is what lead you to buying the iPhone (whether directly or indirectly).

I personally think apple's stuff is overpriced and not functionally better than a lot of half priced stuff, but to say their marketing is poor is ridiculous.

I just bought the new macbook pro.

I have 6 years of work in the IT field and know my way around laptops. I've burned through 3 HP's and two Dell's. I've repaired just every Sony Vaio in existance (they really suck), and have repaired my fair share of toshiba and fijuitsu. Lenovos need repair just as often as any other brand.

The one brand I never had to repair (though i was authorized to) was Apple. Yes the hardware is essentially the same as premium brands of other brands, yet Apple's require far less maintenance which in Med school is important. I don't have the time to RMA wireless card, batteries, hard-drives when all my curriculum is computer based.

So saying a Mac is useless just proves your ignorance, and as far as the premium price, where else do you get a solid aluminum computer with decent styling.

Interesting. I have a Lenovo, and it has never been in the shop. Never needed repair. I have six friends who have apple computers. ALL have been in the repair shop at LEAST once.

Every experience story is anectodal. You need to look at the big picture. Get what you're comfortable with that seems to meet your school's requirements.

I have 6 years of work in the IT field and know my way around laptops. I've burned through 3 HP's and two Dell's. I've repaired just every Sony Vaio in existance (they really suck), and have repaired my fair share of toshiba and fijuitsu. Lenovos need repair just as often as any other brand.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

I'm going with Toshiba. They have good specs and the price is right (the faster core i5, 1G graphics card, 4 gb RAM, a 12 cell battery for ~1050, but you can lower the price a lot by cutting down on the CPU and the graphics card). Mac offers me nothing that another manufacturer cannot besides a higher price, aluminum body, and an OS that's going to be a hassle.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

I'm going with Toshiba. They have good specs and the price is right (the faster core i5, 1G graphics card, 4 gb RAM, a 12 cell battery for ~1050, but you can lower the price a lot by cutting down on the CPU and the graphics card). Mac offers me nothing that another manufacturer cannot besides a higher price, aluminum body, and an OS that's going to be a hassle.

I have a Toshiba and I like it for the most part. It's the Satellite E105-S1402. It does everything I want it to (which is much more than word processing and web surfing). My only complaint is that when I bought it last January, the battery life was over 4.5 hours. Now it is about 2 hours. I noticed a change in battery life when I switched from Vista to Windows 7 so I'm not sure if that has an effect or not. I run it in Power Saver mode 95% of the time. Also, the sound quality on it is not great. The volume doesn't get as loud as my friends Mac's do. Most of the time I have to have headphones in to hear something really well. Otherwise it's a great computer for med school.

The OP is absolutely correct in how as of late other machine components have renovated the computer market and what is considered high performance by yesterday's standards isn't necessarily solely measured by greater processor speeds. The processors aren't the main selling point for PCs any longer.

Personally, I'm holding out for the HP Slate. I don't care a hoot what the required specs for my school are. I'm aware the battery life is less than appealing but I don't plan on going camping with it or being too far from a power outlet for extended periods/trips.

The one brand I never had to repair (though i was authorized to) was Apple.

That is pretty interesting. I wonder how the place where my friend works stays in business and makes a profit in the middle of NYC, considering that Apple products are pretty much the only thing they do repair.

Let's face it---any piece of technology from any company will have failures.

lol. That really isn't an intelligent statement.

Apple's sales increased 90% recently. Their marketing is what lead you to buying the iPhone (whether directly or indirectly).

I personally think apple's stuff is overpriced and not functionally better than a lot of half priced stuff, but to say their marketing is poor is ridiculous.

"Sucks" wasn't the word I should've used.

1- Apple pushes the idea that Windows based systems crash all of the time, which isn't true. The reason so many systems crashed on Vista is because they didn't have the minimum hardware requirements. Trying to run Vista, especially with AERO, won't work unless you have proper hardware.

2- Apple implies that Mac's are for hipsters, while PC's are for nerds. Need I say more?

3- Apple machines aren't supported by a lot of software companies, employers, universities, etc. Windows>>> Mac & Linux as far as 3rd party support.

Apple's advertising is very misleading, and sucks because of that.