Laptops at NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gidget

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my interview at NYCOM, I saw a few students using laptops in the classroom. Is it needed? Also, do you find it useful to have/use one? I was planning on purchasing a laptop but I just want to make sure that I will use it. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

hi gidget

I got accepted to NYCOM and i'm going this fall. I also noticed during my interview that there were students using laptops, however i don't think they;re necessary. They just like to type their notes into their laptop than using pen and paper. i hope i was of some help.

Laptops at NYCOM:

Different students will give you different answers on this topic. In my opinion, a powerful laptop is a great advantage. If you can swing a cabel modem at home that's a big bonus too. If not, then you still have the mobility of bringing your laptop with you to school and connecting directly into the in class room ethernet. This is most advantageous in that you will be able to download the profs' power points / notes.

There are frequent problems with the copy room at NYCOM and thus having the ability to download the notes fast is a major advantage if you are a student that likes to keep up with the lectures.

Also, realize that NYCOM prof's lean heavily on their lecture notes when writing their test questions. You can write to [email protected], for the official word on the subject. He's in charge of Biochem and most of the computer stuff at NYCOM. I know that he's been pushing to make laptop's mandatory for the past few years, but his opinion may have changed since I was a first year. Good luck!

Sam

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with most of what Texas has to say.

Sorry, accidentally pressed add reply prematurely.

Yeah, laptops are very convenient and at times a godsend, but I know plenty of people who survive without them. While I havent experienced many copy-room problems, having the notes and illustrations on the computer helps out a bunch.

Also, of note, the school just signed a deal to install ultra-high bandwidth cable, so next year, if you have a cable modem at home, you may be able to watch lectures in streaming video format from home. Dr. Kumar has been working on this very hard and it seems as if it's going to come to fruition. So, not only can you download a set of notes, you'll actually be able to WATCH an entire lecture online. Not bad. I could deal with pathology lecture much easier if it was from my bed.

couldn't one just use a desktop for the purpose of downloading lectures? I don't see why a laptop is better?

Bronte,

If you don't have a highspeed connection at home for your desk top then downloading a 35 or 50 meg power point can be pretty hellish. These power points often hold images that are not in the actual class handouts. For many students that are visual, the pictures bring the notes together. Plus, the test questions tend to follow the power points although you may still need information from the class notes to fully understand everything.

Sam :clap:

I think lab tops are needed only if you work well with them, i got thru nycom fine using the computers in the computer labs

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks everyone!!!!