Large Animal Vets....Tuition Waiver?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rewind about a month: I was watching cable news and there was a segment on issues with veterinarians. They had said that at least 50% of vets who work with large animals (specficially cattle, horses) are above the age of 50. There was an issue as in the near future there would be a major shortage of vets willing to work on large animals once the older ones retire.

At the end of the segment they mentioned that there is a government proposal that would pay for a vets tuition costs while in vet school in exchange for working on large animals. I was just wondering if anyone has heard this before and whether there is any concrete plans other then a proposal.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Like Minnesota.

Although for this one, you get loans and then they pay off your loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately not enough states care enough to do something about it! The fed program is still in it's infantcy they don't have everything out there yet. I'm not sure if they've decided how to prioritize (one list I saw had rural vets in underserved areas ahead of strictly production /large animal vets), and they are still working out funding. They have a certain amount to go to these grants and are trying to get the $$ to be untaxed. If taxed (these ## are close but I can't remember the EXACT ##) 155 awards will be granted, and if untaxed it'll be 200 awards. This is all on accessible through the above FDA web site, you just have to REALLY dig:D The awards will be granted to vets who are currently practicing, or have a job offer (I THINK) in the "critical" fields. Like Tiktaalik mentioned, the Fed program is only avail. AFTER you've already taken out the huge loans, and I don't **think** private loans qualify, just gov't loans.

Just a disclaimer, I read all of this a month or two ago so they may have changed any or all of it;)

the Fed program is only avail. AFTER you've already taken out the huge loans, and I don't **think** private loans qualify, just gov't loans.

Which is important to think about for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being that you have no guarantee that your application to the program will be accepted when you put it in at the end of vet school (there's only five spots a year, plus the program could fill up, shut down, reduce funding, or who knows what else could happen in 4 years?), and you might get saddled with all the loans. It's a gamble.

This may be a stupid question (haven't looked much into the programs as I don't think I will be pursuing large animal), but what's to stop people from getting lots of large animal hours prior to applying, expressing an interest in LA in vet school, and then manipulating the system to get their loans paid off? This is not to say that some people genuinely will change their minds once they get into their studies, but what about the others who will just try to school the system?

It seems like there would need to be some sort of contingency, like you only get your loans paid back if you're working as a LA vet for five years after graduation or something to that extent.

This may be a stupid question (haven't looked much into the programs as I don't think I will be pursuing large animal), but what's to stop people from getting lots of large animal hours prior to applying, expressing an interest in LA in vet school, and then manipulating the system to get their loans paid off? This is not to say that some people genuinely will change their minds once they get into their studies, but what about the others who will just try to school the system?

It seems like there would need to be some sort of contingency, like you only get your loans paid back if you're working as a LA vet for five years after graduation or something to that extent.

That's essentially how the programs work - you apply after you've gotten your degree and do the work, then they pay back your loans. If you quit early, they make you pay them back. It's not like they pay you while you're in school - you still take out loans like everyone else, but then the gov't pays off your loans in exchange for work after you graduate. This is pretty much the veterinary answer to urban and rural loan forgiveness programs for MDs.

So, basically, this is something that you would apply to later in the game to reduce debt - there isn't much action to take on this as a pre-vet except remembering that it's an option.

My understanding is that even with the new NIFA /USDA program (which is the brand new one- they are supposed to be nominating shortage areas right now), you still have to take out loans and then you get up to $25K forgiven for every year you spend working a minimum % of large animal/food animal practice. You're still carrying those loans, until they decide that you have met their requirements...

'course I may have misunderstood this, anybody feel free to correct.

(first post here, was lurking for a couple days, but can't stay quiet too long... hi everybody.):)

Thanks for the clarification, guys! It's good to know that the feds have thought this through. It's also, then, a great way to reward the LA vets of the future.

Here's a list of the states that currently have loan forgiveness/payment programs for people working with large animals, food animals and/or rurally:

http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/loan_repayment_programs/default.asp

From what I understand, there is supposed to be a national program for new food animal vets that provides loan forgiveness for vets practicing at least 50% of their time with food animals. The last I read though said that although the program was ready to go, it had yet to be funded because the powers that be hadn't decided who would administer the program. The schools? The government? Fairy loan-forgiveness-mother?

Hopefully they'll get their act together soon rather than later!

My understanding is that even with the new NIFA /USDA program (which is the brand new one- they are supposed to be nominating shortage areas right now), you still have to take out loans and then you get up to $25K forgiven for every year you spend working a minimum % of large animal/food animal practice. You're still carrying those loans, until they decide that you have met their requirements...

'course I may have misunderstood this, anybody feel free to correct.

(first post here, was lurking for a couple days, but can't stay quiet too long... hi everybody.):)

Under "Eligibility" on the website, it says "Have a degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), or the equivalent, from a college of veterinary medicine accredited by the AVMA Council on Education;"

So you already have to be done with vet school before you apply, which means you already must have taken out your loans and paid normally. You're right.

One of the doctor's I worked for does a lot of work with Mizzou and they have a program where the student's education is paid during school. However, students have to sign a contract. If they decide to not work in a rural area after all, they either have to take out loans to pay immediately or they lose their dvm until they come up with the money. So basically you do it or you aren't able to practice.

I looked at all this a few weeks ago, and got so excited when I realized my state offers the loan repayment program. So I emailed the state vet, talked to a couple people there, etc about my interest in the program.

State vet's response was basically "Great to hear that your interested. The way this program works, is that for every 100,000 dollars in the fund, we will take on one veterinarian. It's a new program, started 2 years ago. However, we haven't taken on any vets yet because there is only 3 dollars in the fund, and it's not growing the way we expected, since its funded entirely by donations. Check back in a few years"

And No, I didn't forget any zeros after the "3" dollars part.

I looked at all this a few weeks ago, and got so excited when I realized my state offers the loan repayment program. So I emailed the state vet, talked to a couple people there, etc about my interest in the program.

State vet's response was basically "Great to hear that your interested. The way this program works, is that for every 100,000 dollars in the fund, we will take on one veterinarian. It's a new program, started 2 years ago. However, we haven't taken on any vets yet because there is only 3 dollars in the fund, and it's not growing the way we expected, since its funded entirely by donations. Check back in a few years"

And No, I didn't forget any zeros after the "3" dollars part.
:(