Large animals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shocker682

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone out there!

Let me first say how elated I am to see a vet student board on this website. I have been away from this site for a while, and I come back and see this--It's awesome!

Anyways, just wanted to know if there is anyone out there that plans to/is practicing large animal medicine. It seems that forums such as this are dominated by a huge number of small animal practitioner hopefuls. I'd love to hear from anyone out there who has a desire to work with large animals. What's your background? how have you prepared for the career? Which species interests you the most? What kinds of experiences have you had that have helped solidify your resolve?
Anything else you can think of.

A bit about me: I'm 23, taking a year off after the completion of my Bachelor's degree in science (biology major). I started university with every intention of getting my PHD and being a researcher---I soon figured out that this was not for me (took me 2 years to realize). I decided to volunteer with an equine vet (primarily because I was told I would be able to shaddow and see patients right away, as opposed to in small animal clinics, where some Vets don't allow shaddowing at all. I did this, and I fell in love with the profession. I've shaddowed several large animal vets since, plus I've managed several grass cattle farms over the past few summers. I just need to beef up my small animal experience and write the MCATS, and the rest is up to God.

I look foreward to hearing from others in similar situations,

Dan

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in equine, too! The main drawback is the schedule--they *always* have emergencies at odd hours and holidays, and the breeding/foaling season is organized chaos. On a lovely spring or autumn day, I'm all for the equine path; middle of February or August, I'm thinking small critters!:D
Of course, I just have to get into school first!

The pathway is really stressful around foaling and calving season. I shaddowed an equine vet a while back during foaling season--Man that guy was WAY overworked. The fourth time I went along with him he had just completed 7 straight 20 hr days, and that day we were out for 18--a light day he says--Nice. But seriously, I've encountered many large animal practitioners that do everything within their might to control being overworked--rotating on call duties, deals with other practices to cover emergencies etc... If it's something that you love doing, then you might as well do it. One of my vet friends said that the life as a large animal doc is SUPER stressful, but there is nothing in the world he would rather be doing. I hope I hold that same sentiment when I'm his age.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am for sure going the large animal track, preferably cattle with a mix of small ruminants. I can't remember a time i didn't want to be a vet and have collected and read as much as i can. The last five years i have worked at a miniature farm/petting zoo working with all sorts of ruminants and have been working with a small animal vet for two years. The difference is amazing. I like small animal med and would do it if i had to, but would rather be outside working and moving. the type of people you work with are more my style. And i like the challenge. I've been able to go on a few cattle runs with the vet i work for when he does them for his neighbors, but he doesn't do that too often. i always look forward to working at the farm.

One of the other pre-vet students i know who is also planning on large animal put it this way "it is like mcgyver, you get out in the field and you never know what you're going to see and what you are going to need and you just have to deal with whatever you have handy in those situations." It all comes down the the twine...

It's hard and long hours, but if you love it you love it.

I am interested in large/food animal. I was born and raised on a ranch in Wyoming, where we run both sheep and cattle. While we use horses for ranch work all the time, I also do endurance riding. I have always wanted to be a large animal vet, however, I did think it was important to get some small animal experience, just to be sure. While in Arizona doing my undergrad, I worked in a small animal clinic and it absolutely reinforced my desire to work with large animals, especially after working with all those cats :). I'm so glad to see that there are others that are also pursuing this facet of veterinary medicine, I thought large animal vets were a dying breed.

I am definitely going for a large animal emphasis. I've ridden horses since I was five competitively and developed a strong appreciation for equine veterinarians. I pursued a equine/production animal emphasis in undergrad learning about cattle, sheep, and swine. That led me to my master's work in large animal clinical sciences, and I am writing my thesis on the relationship of bovine weaning stress and immunology with a small subset on nutrition. I couldn't imagine working with small animals after working with large ones. I think the work is so much more interesting when you have to worry about a 500 lb Angus calf or a 1200 lb Thoroughbred. I hope to pursue large animal surgery after veterinary school, more specifically equine orthopedics and sports medicine. Two thumbs up to the large animal trackers! :laugh:

I actually hadn't touched anything larger than a Great Dane until I starting going on farm calls with an LA vet. Now I'm hooked. I love the pace, being outdoors,the cows, working with the farmers. Now I'd like to be a mixed practice vet, I like the diversity of being in the office one day and a farm the next.

I don't really like the term "large animals." Cause I like pigs and poultry. And they're not really large animals and they're definitely not small animals. So, I say food animal.

Not entirely related to the topic at hand, but I thought it should be said. Everyone forgets the chickens!!!

Anyway, I want to work as a USDA FSIS vet. So, I'd have more of a '9 to 5' schedule, but I guess there's always the chance of some big food safety disaster that would be really hectic.

Edited to add: Did anyone else notice this thread's from 2003? What's up with that?

I actually hadn't touched anything larger than a Great Dane until I starting going on farm calls with an LA vet. Now I'm hooked. I love the pace, being outdoors,the cows, working with the farmers. Now I'd like to be a mixed practice vet, I like the diversity of being in the office one day and a farm the next.

Agreed! One of the vets I shadow is a rural mixed animal vet. I love that in one day of shadowing, I saw dogs, cats, a goat, a llama, and team of oxen. I don't think I'll end up in a rural area, but if I do, I'm totally interested in a mixed practice as well.

If I'm accepted, I'll be going for large animal, although that terminology can be a little confusing. In my mind, I separate them out into equine and production species to include swine, poultry and small ruminants among others. Horses are my first love, but I've really developed an interest in production species, so I suppose ideally I'd do mixed practice.

Unfortunately it's very difficult to find a livestock vet to ride with around here because it's so darn urban, but there are equine vets around. I'd love to have more livestock experience beyond our campus' farm.

I'm also interested in a mixed LA practice. I grew up around horses and they are probably my number one interest. But a close second (and growing closer everyday) is any kind of bovine medicine. I love horses and would be very happy being an equine vet, but the more I learn about and experience the amount of medicine vets can do on a dairy farm compared to a horse farm, the more I want to work with cows.

One of my biggest attractions to LA medicine is what Skkyy1329 said: "a 500 lb Angus calf or a 1200 lb Thoroughbred" make the medicine so physical -- never a dull moment when you're dodging dairy cows!

I'm in zoo med, but realisticly, food animal's have their zoo counterparts (hoofstock, various poultry, warthogs, etc) so I spend a lot of time in the barns learning AI, ultrasound, etc.

I think that I would really prefer doing large animals... but I'm having so much fun finding a LA vet to shadow! I shadowed equine surgery for a week (which was AWESOME), and then one morning at this huge equine facility.

I love the animal hospital I'm shadowing at right now, but I think I would rather be outside all day working. It's more of a physical job than a desk job (from what little I've seen). And one of my favorite things to do is drive my car.... so I would definitely not mind driving between clients.

But I really just want to find a mixed LA vet to shadow! Anyone have suggestions south of the Twin Cities?

As someone mentioned above I've always heard that large animal doesn't usually encompass equine-as that is usually it's own speciality.

I would like to be a production animal vet-specifically dairy. I didn't grow up on a dairy farm but I have had lots of experience with dairy including working on a diary farm and an internship thru the vet school that was specifically for dairy cattle. I have tossed around the idea of doing equine but I feel like I need more experience with horses (like growing up with and owning horses) to do that.

Nice to see other large animal people out there! :)

I always say that I want to do large animal mixed, which to me encompasses production animal and equine. For a long time I thought I wanted to do equine exclusive, but I've discovered a fondness for the dairy industry and now would love to do some bovine work in addition to equine. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a dog or cat here or there either, so we'll see what happens. I can see myself working in a rural community treating whatever comes my way. I think I would really enjoy the variety of such a practice.

I always say that I want to do large animal mixed, which to me encompasses production animal and equine. For a long time I thought I wanted to do equine exclusive, but I've discovered a fondness for the dairy industry and now would love to do some bovine work in addition to equine. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a dog or cat here or there either, so we'll see what happens. I can see myself working in a rural community treating whatever comes my way. I think I would really enjoy the variety of such a practice.

here mixed means food animal, equine, & small animal.

here mixed means food animal, equine, & small animal.
Probably not when immediately preceded by "large animal", as it was in Allthingsequine's post.

Probably not when immediately preceded by "large animal", as it was in Allthingsequine's post.

Ummm... sorry, NCSU doesn't have a 'large animal mixed' focus area; I don't know about Penn or other schools. Hence 'here' in my statement. so immediatly proceding or not won't change how the school here defines it. Not to mention Allthingsequine DID mention dogs & cats. Wait, what was the issue with my statement?

I've never heard of "large animal mixed" before either. It's either production, equine, small animal, or mixed (combo of all three). Maybe it's at some schools though? I dunno.

Sorry everyone, I guess my post was a little unclear! Someone earlier in the thread had mentioned that the term "large animal" can be a little misleading since it doesn't usually include equine and also excludes some production animals like poultry. Large animal mixed is a completely made up term I used to describe a mixed animal practice that sees both horses and production animals. Then I went and threw in the comment about small animals and I can definitely see where I was confusing. As far as I know, "large animal mixed" isn't an actual specialty that one would track, though I suppose at some schools where you build your own concentration it could be an option. Guess I shouldn't go inventing terminology, just trying to find a way to bridge the gap between production animal and equine :)

Last edited:
I hope to go to vet school for large animals. Although I don't have much experience with cows and horses, I have always been fascinated by them and I think they're wonderful. I'm minoring in Equine Management, but I would like to deal with horses, cows, goats, sheep, etc. Perhaps maybe I should say I want to go to vet school for farm animals and equine? :confused:

I like the fact that you're outside most of the time and I love being outside, if I were to go into small animal practice I think I would go crazy from being in the same building all the time!