Large gaps in education and cumulative GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bono2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, I finished undergrad back in 99. I will start taking the pre-reqs again this spring, exactly 10 years later.

If I have about 35 credits by the end of next fall, will the schools calculate my GPA for them separately or average them in with the credits from the 1990's?

Members don't see this ad.

That is a very interesting question. I believe if you use PharmCAS (which not all schools do), ALL information is entered and then the school can decide whether or not they're going to consider it, so that would include your 1990s courses.

Are you re-taking any courses? Or do you WANT some of your older coursework to count? Some universities will want to see it all and others don't consider coursework over a certain age, so I guess the short answer (as it is so often) is to ask the schools where you are thinking of applying.

And even though some schools may not accept credits past a certain age as a pre-req, I don't know if that necessarily means they don't want to look at it at all.

I started taking classes in 1997 until I took a break after my transfer horrible year in 2000-01 then finished my degree in 04. They average them all in as far as pharmcas goes. The school may view it a little differently....best answer is to ask the schools you are applying.

Are you re-taking any courses? Or do you WANT some of your older coursework to count?
I'm retaking most of the pre-reqs as they are over a decade old, and taking some of them for the first time. Virtually all my science and math pre-reqs are from early to mid 90's. I would prefer if these new credits stand on their own, since I plan to do quite well in them.