Large Merit Scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BPShug

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any medical schools that give large merit-based scholarships? I fried of mine (4.0 GPA, 37 MCAT, all around stud) got a full tuition merit scholarship from the New Jersey state school in Neward, but other than that it seems all scholarships are need-based.

Is there any hope for a poor kid like me who has very competative academic achievments but very rich parents who don't want to pay a dime for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

that's what loans are for :wink:

A friend of mine also got a full scholarship at UMDNJ-Newark, but he chose to go to Duke. What did your friend do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I turned down a 10k merit scholarship to Tulane. I know someone with a full ride at Penn....

ucla,

that's really impressive. what were urs and ur friend's stats and activities like?

congrats. but u didn't say where u were going instead of tulane

if you have a connection to the maryland, virginia, dc area (ie went to high school there, go to college there, parents live there), you can apply for the jack kent cooke scholarship which pays for everything up to 50 grand a year for up to six years of graduate study for any university. <a href="http://www.jackkentcookefoundation.org" target="_blank">www.jackkentcookefoundation.org</a> pain in the ass application, but damn was it worth it!

Stanford, Case Western & Washington U all give generous scholarships. You can find info on whether or not most schools offer merit scholarships on school websites. The schools that do usually advertise it. But expect to take out loans like the rest of us. You will be able to borrow enough to cover all you expenses at a public school, and unless you have a bad credit rating (no credit is okay), enough for all the private ones as well.

Duke also awards quite a few large scholarships based on merit, namely the ones that cover full tuition (about $30,000) for 4 years. :wink:

Some schools with (merit) scholarships are Mayo, Umich, Wash U, Wayne St. Best way to find out is to call the schools. It probably varies from year to year how they handle scholarship awards. Ask!

Some schools with (merit) scholarships are Mayo, Umich, Wash U, Wayne St. Best way to find out is to call the schools. It probably varies from year to year how they handle scholarship awards. Ask!

pitt also doles out the cash for some hefty merit scholarships. cool school too.
-jot

•••quote:•••Originally posted by dr kevin40:
•ucla,

that's really impressive. what were urs and ur friend's stats and activities like?

congrats. but u didn't say where u were going instead of tulane•••••I'm going to Penn. My friend and I are both attending Penn.

In addition to being a much better school, where I felt more at home than at Tulane, Penn also gave me a much better financial aid package (no I'm not going into detail).

I don't know what her stats and stuff where (because it was a moot point). As for my Stats and activities? I don't like to talk about that stuff.

Just focus on getting over a 30 and a 3.5 gpa, do research and clinical volunteer work and you'll be fine for medical school.

Case offers some merit based scholarships for $15k. This brings the tuition down to about $20k per year, but that is still more expensive than most Ohio state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Case offers some merit based scholarships for $15k. This brings the tuition down to about $20k per year, but that is still more expensive than most Ohio state schools.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lorarp:
•if you have a connection to the maryland, virginia, dc area (ie went to high school there, go to college there, parents live there), you can apply for the jack kent cooke scholarship which pays for everything up to 50 grand a year for up to six years of graduate study for any university. <a href="http://www.jackkentcookefoundation.org" target="_blank">www.jackkentcookefoundation.org</a> pain in the ass application, but damn was it worth it!•••••hey lorarp! I heard about that scholarship... Congrats--that's so awesome...I wish I at least gave it a try...but I was too lazy to answer those annoying essay questions. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt for it. Have you decided where you're going next year???

nylee

Wayne State University gives 10 full tuition merit based scholarships annually.
I didn't think any schools gave merit scholarships...and then Wayne made my decision of where to go to med school very, very easy. :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Caffeinated:
•Case offers some merit based scholarships for $15k. This brings the tuition down to about $20k per year, but that is still more expensive than most Ohio state schools.•••••You would be surprised...this year, OSU's tuition is over $17,000 plus fees. Cincinnati is similar.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Resident Alien:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Caffeinated:
•Case offers some merit based scholarships for $15k. This brings the tuition down to about $20k per year, but that is still more expensive than most Ohio state schools.•••••You would be surprised...this year, OSU's tuition is over $17,000 plus fees. Cincinnati is similar.•••••This is true. Actually, CWRU offers a good number of 20K merit scholarships..in which case CWRU is actually cheaper than OSU for some. (like me, thank God. I was actually in the same boat you were BPShrug.)

nylee - i got into wash u off the waitlist at the end of may so i'm headed there. you are a hopkins person right? undergrad, i mean, b/c i was too but i don't know who you are. you can probably figure me out by my name!

thanks for the congratulations

lorarp-

you are correct! I am one of those undergrads--from JHU...I heard about you through some friends of mine and through the paper when you got your award. Good luck at WashU and congrats for getting off the washu waitlist!

I can reconfirm on Umich since someone I know got one.

Lorarp, that scholarship sounds great! I was just wondering if you knew if you could apply anytime during med school (for the remaining years) or if you can only apply before your first year? I looked on the website but must have missed that... thanks and congratulations!

sorry guys, but i just checked the jack kent cooke website and it says "awards will be limited to qualified college seniors...." so i guess you can't apply while in med school. however, it doesn't mean you have to be a traditional college senior, just ready to graduate and enter a graduate program (this year there was a 51 year awardee).

okay, i just reread, and it said program requirements might change so i would check on that. if you want to call someone to ask, call elizabeth morgan or josh wyner - they are the scholarship people.

Mount Sinai has very good need based fin aid (grant money as well as interest free loans), as well as several merit scholarships. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse :wink: