Larkin Health Sciences School of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I didn't like it very much either, I agree with YOWAT

Members don't see this ad.

+

Last edited:
Larkin=Desperation move. No desperate.

Hey SouthStudent which one were you there , morning interview?

They'll accept everyone they interview. The compounding lab was non-existent, the first year classroom was like "wohahh!??" I feel too cramped going to that school and in such a low tier environment. It doesn't seem foster growth professionalism pharmacy . Professionalism- I don't mean oh im great , look im doctor now, no. It should have that industry real world + healthcare provider feel. Exposure experiences, environment, people, professors, clinical labs, high end labs. this place doesn't have it. if you ask me, they're just making money off of us to test class first year at their new location. If you have good grades , you work hard , 2-4 years. this place not worthy of that high GPA, mockery to your education. but to some people who say its a degree, well yeah I mock you inside for it. never have I went to a school where I felt, im cheap. but I knew what I was getting into. desperate move. I don't feel that city for education. not it
Yeah, I was in the morning interview @ 8:30 am. I interviewed @ Rosalind Franklin (a school in Chicago) and man was that school amazing. The complete experience was just on point, the whole program and their staff are on a great path to being trendsetters and innovators in the health field. RFU opened a pharmacy in their school which they allow the pharmacy students to run (obviously, it is supervised by professors who hold a degree) the whole thing and it is intended to help people in need, like those who do not have health insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite for this school. Just wondering what types of questions they asked

Yeah, I was in the morning interview @ 8:30 am. I interviewed @ Rosalind Franklin (a school in Chicago) and man was that school amazing. The complete experience was just on point, the whole program and their staff are on a great path to being trendsetters and innovators in the health field. RFU opened a pharmacy in their school which they allow the pharmacy students to run (obviously, it is supervised by professors who hold a degree) the whole thing and it is intended to help people in need, like those who do not have health insurance.
Thats awesome. Good for you. Did you interview elsewhere in FL?

Wanted to find out what type of interview questions they had asked?

I feel happy for yall who got in-terview. Thanks! Keep applying other schools!

I got an interview invite for this school. Just wondering what types of questions they asked

5 simple scenario questions, I forgot what they were but it was similar to "Explain a time you had to work in a group and how well you worked together to fix a problem" more or less that is how they were presented.

Thats awesome. Good for you. Did you interview elsewhere in FL?

No, I actually went to Chicago 3 times for different school interviews, interviewed in Colorado, Georgia, then I Canceled a different one in Chicago, canceled one in California, and canceled one in Virginia.

5 simple scenario questions, I forgot what they were but it was similar to "Explain a time you had to work in a group and how well you worked together to fix a problem" more or less that is how they were presented.
Thanks for the type of question! Did they offer you a seat yet? If so how long after the interview did they let you know?

Thanks for the type of question! Did they offer you a seat yet? If so how long after the interview did they let you know?
Yeah, I was offered a seat on Tuesday 2/16/2016. I interviewed on 2/2/2016, and I had a holiday weekend so i feel that slowed down the process a bit.

Yeah, I was offered a seat on Tuesday 2/16/2016. I interviewed on 2/2/2016, and I had a holiday weekend so i feel that slowed down the process a bit.
Thanks! My interview is on the 3rd, and I am really anxious about it

Hey is anybody going to start a Facebook page for the inaugural class of 2019 or is there one already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I emailed the dean and his assistant to see, if I can be given permissions to create one. I will let you know shortly after they respond.

Don't stress it too much, they were very welcoming and lately I have been speaking with them directly via phone and email and they are very eager in assisting their students.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I am applying here too, I am filling the app right now, but they sent me a link where I suppose to fill my data, do we have to do it on Pharmcas still? I am confused lol
Did you go to the interview?

Ok great!
I will be creating a Facebook page for the Inaugural Class of 2019 by either tomorrow or Thursday. I believe the Dean will notify the accepted students for the class of the FB page so that I can add you all. Good luck on your interviews ;)

will it be accredited in 3 years tho cause from my understanding it can take up to 5 years??

will the graduating class be able to take the NAPLEX

will it be accredited in 3 years tho cause from my understanding it can take up to 5 years??

To my understanding, it does not take 5-years because USF which is a 4-year program received theirs 1 year prior to their graduating class. It is set for the full accreditation to be received before we are capable of taking the NAPLEX. Every program has to meet a specific standard in education for them to be up and running, so if they do not meet those standards they would not be capable of commencing with the program. The Dean and Dean Assistant, as well as other professors who have transferred from other schools such as Nova, USF, UF, etc., have experience of creating a new program. If they felt that this school was not on the right track they would not be allowed to accept students.

To my understanding, it does not take 5-years because USF which is a 4-year program received theirs 1 year prior to their graduating class. It is set for the full accreditation to be received before we are capable of taking the NAPLEX. Every program has to meet a specific standard in education for them to be up and running, so if they do not meet those standards they would not be capable of commencing with the program. The Dean and Dean Assistant, as well as other professors who have transferred from other schools such as Nova, USF, UF, etc., have experience of creating a new program. If they felt that this school was not on the right track they would not be allowed to accept students.

from what ive read and researched i thought u cant receive full accreditation until your first class graduates.. ill look into a bit more but i sent my application because its 3 years but well see what happens i guess

anyone know how big the incoming class will be??

$44,000 tuition?! Holy crap! Include fees and living expenses and you're probably around $200,000 before the interest is added. While I fully support following your dreams I am glad I get a full tuition and fee waiver and a annual stipend for my M.S. and PhD.

Have those accepted considered the financial aspects of attending? Could any of you get in to a local state school where tuition is basically cut in half?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$44,000 tuition?! Holy crap! Include fees and living expenses and you're probably around $200,000 before the interest is added. While I fully support following your dreams I am glad I get a full tuition and fee waiver and a annual stipend for my M.S. and PhD.

Have those accepted considered the financial aspects of attending? Could any of you get in to a local state school where tuition is basically cut in half?

Well yeah, I was accepted to Nova which is $33-35K each year for 4-years and it comes out to the same price because Larkin is for 3-years. I live in Miami so I would not be worried about the living expenses. Now, If I were to attend the school in Chicago which I really loved and I was accepted to as well (Rosalind Franklin Univeristy) I would have to consider living expenses. If one actually lived in Miami they would know that there is no Local School, the closest thing is Nova Southeastern which is, at least, an hour drive. Considering that there are students coming to the Miami area I am willing to take on the responsibility to finding them an affordable location where it would be comparably safe and cost effective.

anyone know how big the incoming class will be??
From what I was informed at the interview, they hope to have 70-80 but ideally they are expecting to have 60-70 students. One of the things that they emphasized is that they want to have as much student-to-professor contact so they hope to have a ratio of 6 students per professor. My friend who graduated last year from USF with the first inaugural class said that their class was not as big also but since it wasn't very big, the professors were always there to help them at their disposal.:)

oh, and the nearest state school in Florida is 5 hours away from Miami (haha) sorry I forgot to respond to that, instead, I mentioned the nearest school from Miami, FL which is Nova.

I have an update on the accreditation, the last time we spoke it seemed as if no one was quite sure on what the correct information was for the process of becoming fully accredited. So, I called that number from the ACPE and they referred me to the Florida Board of Pharmacy which referred me back to the ACPE.:yeahright: ... Shortly after, I noticed on the bottom of a previous email that Larkin sent me it had a direct number for that department. I called the number and I had to leave a Voicemail for them to call me back, and they called me back earlier today. From what I was explained today, the process starts with sending an application that explains the curriculum and amongst many other things (From what I was told over the phone the hardest part in this whole lengthy process is to get the application approved to receive an onsite visit). The ACPE reviews these applications only two times in a year. If it is approved then they will schedule them for an onsite visit, which will then be reviewed to receive a Pre-Candidate Status. The Pre-Candidate Status will allow the school to start their first inaugural class, after a year of receiving the Pre-Candidate Status the school will receive the Candidate Status (This status gives the students every right to take the Naplex and earn their PharmD License like other students do from a Fully Accredited School). Now, down to the good news :)... the representative did tell me that most schools apply a year or two early in case they are denied and have to revise their curriculum and program. Larkin applied a year and a half ago and was instructed to revise their application (remember getting the application approved is the hardest part). They applied again and got it approved, they have the onsite visit in April. The rep explained to me "Track records show that after a school gets their application approved the probability of them getting the Pre-Candidate Status is substantially high, although I can not guarantee that they will get it, judging off of the track record of previous applications if they get the application approved the onsite visit is the easiest step. After they receive the Pre-Candidate Status in a year the program typically has the Candidate status, but since this is a 3-year program we would possibly process it a bit sooner, just so the students of the first inaugural class are set before they graduate. After the school has received their Candidate status it normally takes 5-years before they become Fully-Accredited" (She did mention that pretty much every school receives the Candidate Status a year after because she has never really seen any school not get it, but it does not guarantee it still, even though she has seen every school receive it)

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep: (haha) Sorry for the long story but that is everything I was informed of today. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
Larkin= Stupid Expensive Fake. Hate Dean. You're stupid if you go here. Work hard PCAT GPA and go State Pharmacy Public School. If you can't then go to another private school.

This school lied when they say first year students will spend 1 YEAR on the purchased college building then AFTER first year, we'll move to the new science health institute on big land. Turns out on interviews, that stupid weird lady said We'll spend 3 years slum land of a factory building.

I hate this school. It's disgrace to such important health career field that it'll make students feel community pharmacy is the only great thing they can do. I felt I was among sub par students during interview. The Dean felt threatened by me during the interview when I wanted to know more about his school. No wonder LECOM sucked under his rule. I can see they want students who can be sheep herded.

Larkin= Stupid Expensive Fake. Hate Dean. You're stupid if you go here. Work hard PCAT GPA and go State Pharmacy Public School. If you can't then go to another private school.

This school lied when they say first year students will spend 1 YEAR on the purchased college building then AFTER first year, we'll move to the new science health institute on big land. Turns out on interviews, that stupid weird lady said We'll spend 3 years slum land of a factory building.

I hate this school. It's disgrace to such important health career field that it'll make students feel community pharmacy is the only great thing they can do. I felt I was among sub par students during interview. The Dean felt threatened by me during the interview when I wanted to know more about his school. No wonder LECOM sucked under his rule. I can see they want students who can be sheep herded.
What is the point of being aggressive? Can you please send me where it shows that this school stated that it would start the inaugural class with the new campus?

I honestly never saw that and I have been following this school roughly for a few months over a year and I've personally never seen them write that on any of their sites or videos.

When was your interview?

Who else got accepted to the program? I finished the Larkin Student page, PM me if you were accepted.

Just got a phone call! I'm accepted!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users

Wow

Wow, you are clearly an angry individual. Each and EVERY new pharmacy and med school start from the very beginning and must meet the same requirements to progress to an established accredited program. Maybe you applied here and did'nt get accepted, hate the player, NOT the game LOSER! If you thought that this was SUCH a sub-par program, why did you even bother interviewing with them? I interviewed and got accepted to Larkin; and they NEVER told us that the innaugural class would relocate to the new site. That 50 acre site is eventually going to be home to the College of Biomedical Sciences, Nursing, Pharmacy, and perhaps a middle and high school. Were you asleep during your interview? I already have interviews scheduled with Creighton - Distance Learning Program, Nova, LECOM-Bradenton, and LECOM - Distance Learning. Yet, you would NEVER see me putting down a program to which I CHOSE to apply and interview with. Anyone on this forum can get a pretty accurate understanding of the type of person you are just by spending 1 minute reading your angry, ignorant, and assanine posting. Just imagine what any Pharm.D program would think, after meeting your dumb ass in person. If you had put HALF the attention that you put into insulting Larkin on this forum, you would likely get accepted to the absolute BEST Pharm.D program in the country, I'm SURE you'll need it! I'm sure that I speak for all future Larkin students when I say GOOD LUCK IDIOT!

Reactions: 3 users