Las Vegas psychopharm conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jules A

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going? They are offering a nice discount for medical students and residents.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have always enjoyed it, learned a few things and will use any excuse to go to Vegas. :)
I can't. I wish.
Find me in a few years to go...

Definitely and will treat for dinner!

Reactions: 1 user
Not asking this to be provocative, but is there such a thing in psychiatry as non-paid academic talks? My father is a professor, for example, and goes to conferences giving talks for which he is not paid. I'm only familiar with my psychiatrist, and not any others, who is paid about $10,000 per talk she gives. She received approximately $60,000 in 2015 from talks, most of which I assume is at conferences such as these. That money came primarily from Sunovion (which I saw is a sponsor of this conference) and Pfizer. I'm wondering if there are psychiatrists who do research just because they're interested and go to conferences and present it to advance the field, or if they're all corporate talks?

Not asking this to be provocative, but is there such a thing in psychiatry as non-paid academic talks? My father is a professor, for example, and goes to conferences giving talks for which he is not paid. I'm only familiar with my psychiatrist, and not any others, who is paid about $10,000 per talk she gives. She received approximately $60,000 in 2015 from talks, most of which I assume is at conferences such as these. That money came primarily from Sunovion (which I saw is a sponsor of this conference) and Pfizer. I'm wondering if there are psychiatrists who do research just because they're interested and go to conferences and present it to advance the field, or if they're all corporate talks?
yes academic talks are typically not paid for and this applies to psychiatry too. i regularly give talks at conferences and have never been paid for them. I taught on a course recently that cost $100 to attend, there were over 100 people in attendance, I have no idea where the money went for that but I can assure you I did not receive a penny of it. Drug talks like the ones you mention are not typically given at conferences, they are given over dinner. No one is going to pay to attend a talk given by a drug company shill. those are different talks entirely. Of course, there is the issue that the people who speak at these conferences because they may be psychopharm experts doing clinical trials and such may receive money from drug companies for other things. This must all be disclosed up front. Drug companies can also sponsor talks at conferences, but these need to be identified as such and are in addition to the regular program of the conference, not part of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Program dinners - where they try to sell you stuff. Used to be educational somewhat, got a good dinner, and variety of drinks. Not anymore. And the sales pitch is on ground of them wanting you to buy a timeshare.

Program dinners - where they try to sell you stuff. Used to be educational somewhat, got a good dinner, and variety of drinks. Not anymore. And the sales pitch is on ground of them wanting you to buy a timeshare.

Going further back the yield was even higher. My favorite was a ski weekend and the pens, oh yeah the pens, I think I enjoyed them even more than the trips.

Reactions: 1 user