Laser eye surgery for HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kahr

Resident OMFP
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've known for a long time about the availability of laser eye surgery vision correction as a benefit for military personnel. What I'm curious about is if HPSP students are eligible to receive the procedure while in dental school? I'm sure you'd be bottom of the list in terms of priority, but I can imagine it making the clinical end of dental school and then practicing easier (not to mention during NBC training and exercises, god did I abhor having to wear those special glasses under the gas mask).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've known for a long time about the availability of laser eye surgery vision correction as a benefit for military personnel. What I'm curious about is if HPSP students are eligible to receive the procedure while in dental school? I'm sure you'd be bottom of the list in terms of priority, but I can imagine it making the clinical end of dental school and then practicing easier (not to mention during NBC training and exercises, god did I abhor having to wear those special glasses under the gas mask).

Thanks

If you're not on active duty, you will not get treated. From what I've seen, there are waiting lists between 3-6 months at any given time for people who are already on active duty. For them to treat you first would be a slap in everyone else's face.

If you're not on active duty, you will not get treated. From what I've seen, there are waiting lists between 3-6 months at any given time for people who are already on active duty. For them to treat you first would be a slap in everyone else's face.

I don't even think Tri-Care covers it unless its necessary for your profession(think jet fighter pilot types). Dentists would be extremely low on the totem poll if it were covered from what I understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct. You can get on the list once your active duty, but it's not automatic.

Ahh, okay, I wasn't entirely sure how they considered HPSP students in regard to military status.

Smills,

When I was active duty (munitions, AMMO AF), this was available to all active duty personnel, there were priority categories, but no one was excluded from eligibility because of not being on flighty duty. I actually went through the process/paperwork and was close to getting it done, but had too little time to my separation date (less than a year I think).

Tooth,

As for it being a slap in the face, maybe for non-prior service students ;) A real slap in the face is using the old GI bill, then them switching to chapter 33 and giving out 4-5x more. Guess the recoup from HPSP will more than make up for that though!

I know of at least two dentists in my command who have gotten eye surgery on the Navy's dime in the last year. There is a priority list and it's up to your chain of command if they want to let you get it. You have to get permission from your chain of command.

Thanks

Not paid for or done while in HPSP. I had it done once on active duty. You just have to be stationed near a facility that does it.

Well then, I'm on the HSCP which means I'm currently Active Duty. Anyone have the links as to where to fill out the paper work and where to submit it to in order to get on the list?

Well then, I'm on the HSCP which means I'm currently Active Duty. Anyone have the links as to where to fill out the paper work and where to submit it to in order to get on the list?

You just contact your nearest military opthamologist to find out what their procedures are. It may vary by Service and location - but the Opthamologists are the ones that run the program.

You just contact your nearest military opthamologist to find out what their procedures are. It may vary by Service and location - but the Opthamologists are the ones that run the program.

Krmower: Those who are on HPSP (in D1 to D4) are considered active?