Lasik-- have you done it? opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. So I've been deliberating about getting lasik. I'm a bit scared because obviously for a dentist, you can't practice without your vision. I've heard only good things about it, other than you get dry eye and sometimes you might still need glasses. My Rx is not that bad, but I do need glasses for pretty much everything unless it's directly in front of me... so I always wear them except for reading books or at the computer. I'd really like your input and to hear your experience with lasik if you have offer it.

thanks! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I've done it... honestly, if I had to choose again, I wouldn't do it. It's just not worth the huge expense just not to wear glasses. I had a really really bad prescription too, so I wore glasses from the moment I woke up to the moment I hit the pillow (other than in the shower of course). I had lasik done January 2009, and am still taking Restasis twice a day for dry eye.

Hey. So I've been deliberating about getting lasik. I'm a bit scared because obviously for a dentist, you can't practice without your vision. I've heard only good things about it, other than you get dry eye and sometimes you might still need glasses. My Rx is not that bad, but I do need glasses for pretty much everything unless it's directly in front of me... so I always wear them except for reading books or at the computer. I'd really like your input and to hear your experience with lasik if you have offer it.

thanks! :cool:

i've had it done and would strongly recommend it. Now i didnt pay what most do, because my mother had it done and i got discounts due to referrals and they matched the price they gave her etc, so mine was 700/eye. dont remember the name of the place but it was in pittsburgh, off mcknight rd. i've always had dry eyes and have terrible eye allergies, so the "dry eyes" you get didnt really make a difference for me...

the only time its bad for me is if im driving at night AND its raining.

That being said, i will probably be going to have a "touch up" when i get done with school, but still would gladly do it again... i had pretty bad vision and just being able to wake up and see the time on the clock from in bed without reaching for my glasses is awesome :laugh:

like i said, my mother had it done and she had to get one eye touched up two additional times (covered) and she's at the point where there isnt enough cornea left, so if she'd need another touch up she cant get it... but even after all that she says she'd do it again in a hearbeat...

hope this helps, just my personal experience

Members don't see this ad :)
I had it done between d3 and d4. I got it done in Peru of all places. It cost me $400 total. My eyes get about as dry as they did when I had contacts. Most days I don't even notice it. It's a gamble that only you should decide. It worked for me though.

I had it done between d3 and d4. I got it done in Peru of all places. It cost me $400 total. My eyes get about as dry as they did when I had contacts. Most days I don't even notice it. It's a gamble that only you should decide. It worked for me though.

:thumbup:
Hahaha, did Lasik Plus open a location on the top of Macchu Picchu?:laugh:

Attachments

• lasik_plus_macchu_picchu.jpg
    lasik_plus_macchu_picchu.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 197
I had a good experience. I did it in 2006, had pretty bad vision (-4 and -5 lenses) that was unchanged since 1998 or so. I went to an AMERICAN ophtho (Sweeney) in Gainesville, FL on the recommendation of a couple of friends who went to him. Screening and consultation was free. I never wore contacts, btw. He basically told me I was a good candidate, ie low risk. He also told me don't do it if complications are unacceptable, as all surgery has some degree of risk (read: proper informed consent).

$3100 and almost four years later my vision is great. Recovery was easy, minimal discomfort, some blurry vision 1-2 days. I had dry eyes for a couple of months because the corneal nerves that stimulate tears get injured. The only permanent effect is that bright things on a dark background have a slight halo effect around them ( street light against night sky). This doesn't adversely affect me at all.

My advice would be to go to someone who does a LOT of Lasik. Ask how many cases they have done. I would only go to board certified, US-trained, ophthos. I also did not look for a bargain.

i've been thinking about getting it done... i'm a -7.0 in both eyes. but having contacts doesn't bother me so that's keeping me from actually going forward with lasik.

you say your vision isn't that bad - it must not be if you don't need glasses for everything -- so why don't you just get contacts? lasik sounds like a pretty big investment for your not-so-huge dent in eyesight.

experiencing any of the severe side effects of lasik would render your future dental career finished with. granted, its only <1% patients that end up having any serious issues, but that is a pretty hefty probability to gamble your entire future on. i have a friend in redwood city who experienced severe side effects about 1 year after her lasik operation, and her eyesight is ruined for the rest of her life due to constant ghost images.

my optometrist strongly urged me against lasik as well, even with my hefty tx, because he actually knows a young dentist who had lasik done after graduating dental school, and got severe dry eyes that left him unable to practice, despite his 150K loans. something to think about. now hows he going to pay 150K+interest? student loans are usually only forgiven by death, not by disability.

experiencing any of the severe side effects of lasik would render your future dental career finished with. granted, its only <1% patients that end up having any serious issues, but that is a pretty hefty probability to gamble your entire future on. i have a friend in redwood city who experienced severe side effects about 1 year after her lasik operation, and her eyesight is ruined for the rest of her life due to constant ghost images.

my optometrist strongly urged me against lasik as well, even with my hefty tx, because he actually knows a young dentist who had lasik done after graduating dental school, and got severe dry eyes that left him unable to practice, despite his 150K loans. something to think about. now hows he going to pay 150K+interest? student loans are usually only forgiven by death, not by disability.

make sure you have good disability insurance before you do it :)

i did it before i started dental school (05) and couldnt be happier. like was said above, dont go shopping for a bargain, and DEFINITELY do it in the US. i spent around $3K (went to the best one in tampa, fl) and no problems whatsoever. no dry eyes, no ghost images, no problems with night vision, etc. it was the best $3K i ever spent, but again i did have very bad vision, and i play alot of sports, so i went through a lot of contacts and glasses. good luck

omar

Yes there are plenty of horror stories all over the internet and everyone seems to know a promising young dentist whose career was derailed by a botched lasik surgery. I would bet that those who have problems did not go to the
$3k practice, or were marginal candidates to have the surgery. Anyways, I did it because I hated wearing glasses and I tried contacts (I know I said I never wore them above) and hated them 10x more.

Argg. I'm going through the exact same deliberation.

My tx isn't that strong, but I do have bad astigmatism.

I usually wear contacts but by the end of the day I find them extremely dry and they really impair my vision by nightfall. Due to the astigmatism it's really hard to find (even torix) lenses that give me vision as good as with glasses.

Definitely would never go to a chop shop, have always been looking at a top of the line joint.

BTW - if you do decide to go for it, it's much preferable to go for a place that does "bladeless" (laser) incision.

Here's a question: since we wear loupes most of the time when working anyway... is there any point in getting lasik? (Aside from having it for one's life outside of work).

I did it before dental school and like omar, I never had any problems at all w/it afterwards, no dry eyes, no halos, no blurry vision. I've been out of school for a year and still can see great and have not had any problems whatsoever. The only regret is not having it done sooner!! Good luck though, that's a tough decision. :thumbup:

I'll get it when I stop seeing opthos wearing glasses...

maybe because a lot of them are older and no longer qualify for lasik

PRK is better than LASIK. I personally wouldn't do it, there are risks and I would never have it done at a LASIK chop shop. Make sure the physician is BC/BE for ophtho and did a fellowship in cornea. Usually most people get dry eyes, however I've seen patients who needed corneal grafts afterward. There is risk involved in this and I've never seen that the gain truly justified it as opposed to wearing glasses.

The vast majority of people are satisfied with Lasik and would gladly do it again. When I am in practice, I plan to recommend it to many patients who are good candidates who understand the risks and have realistic expectations. That being said...

The students and all faculty members at my school (SCCO) are given the option of free Lasik from Dr. Tom Tooma (TLC) who is one of the best surgeons in the country, yet the majority DECLINE.

Why wouldn't I get it done especially if it is FREE?

It cuts corneal nerves which can lead to dry eye, night driving is harder with the possibility of haloes and decreased contrast sensitivity. Also we're about 25 years old so we'll need glasses anyway in our 40s when presbyopia kicks in. One of the board of directors at my school had it done and is now completely blind in that eye. Yikes! But remember this is extremely rare.

The key is to consult with a trustworthy surgeon (like Tooma) who is upfront with the risks and side effects involved. Some surgeons are less ethical and just want $$$ but we all know that. Only get Lasik done with Intralase - in general go to places that can offer custom lasik and the newest technologies - these are your EYES don't cheap out!

And do not rely on the anecdotal, despite some dry eye and slightly diminished contrast, the majority of patients are satisfied. But again, there is a reason that most optometrists (who comanage and get paid to do so) and ophthalmologists have not Lasik despite ample opportunity.

Last edited:
Will I have any issues with protective eyewear (labs) during d-school if I wear glasses all the time?