Last 2 weeks to Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd2b

Hepato-phile
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

Well, this is it...the final 14 days. Just wondering what your thoughts were on how to make the most of it. Our school told us not to do practice MCQs in the last 2 weeks, just cram First Aid. Does this sound like the norm?

Good luck :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

mdphd2b,
I take mine at the end of this week! I dunno about not doing more questions. I plan on finishing the `10-12% of q's i have left on qbank and do a written exam i have. i plan to stop all reading (except for first aid and my notes) by thursday. friday is dedicated to r and r.

good luck 2 U, too.
s.

Hi Sanfilippo,

Yes, I agree that sounds more like it. I also want to finish Qbank, and my schedule seems to be working so far. I will taper off practice Q's in the last week and emphasize FA. The last test I want to take is the free sample test CD from USMLE. My test day is 6/24, and I also plan on making the day before "anti-boards" day--a small reward before test day, then a bigger one after (VACATION!!!).

Good luck on Friday :)

I am taking my step 1 the 24th too. I am actually doing opposite what your school told you to do, focusing on learning everything in first aid, then hitting the questions after I am done (during these last 2 weeks). Don't know which way is better, I guess I'll find out test day. :wink: Good luck to everyone taking the boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I take mine this week as well. I'm pretty scared actually. I've studied my butt off but my practice test scores don't sshow it. I guess we just got to keep our heads up and fight the fight.

I take mine 6/18...not reeaallyy freaking out...but, lots to know. To address question, I am doing FA and finishing up questions this last week. Then will try to relax the day before. Good luck to all.

2 weeks until the day! Q-bank is pissing me off! One 50 question block i'll get an 80% and the next i'll be down to a 60% Anyone else have the same experience. I'm averaging about a 75% - anyone know what this translates to on the real deal.

shiga

ShigaT,

Dude, I know what you mean! I've been taking 50Q blocks w/ no repeats. Just today I got a 66 and an 84, go figure! My average is 73%, so I guess it evens out. Are you near the end of Qbank? I've noticed that these last few tests have weird breakdowns, b/c it ran out of all the biochem, beh sci, mol bio, histo, embryo, genetics, and now even physio Qs! Hopefully the real thing will balance out between all 7 blocks!

Good luck to everyone taking it :p

shiga, I had the same scenario as you on qbank--and near the end, too, right before the test. This translated into a 250 on the real deal. A friend of mine was performing about the same on qbank, and she got a 244. Both of us had cumulative averages in the mid-seventies on qbank right before the test. So you should do great. Good luck! :)

mdphd2b, et al.:
see jellybeans' thread (for you guys who've taken step one...) for my post-exam scoop. may be redundant, but i promised to post something...
-s.