Last date to take Step 2 CK in order to get ECFMG certificate 1 Sept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the last date to take Step 2 CK in order to get ECFMG certificate 1 Sept? (Assume that the other Steps are taken)

How important is it to be ECFMG certified on this date in order to match?

How important is it to have your Step 2 CK result by 1 Sept in order to match?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the last date to take Step 2 CK in order to get ECFMG certificate 1 Sept? (Assume that the other Steps are taken)

How important is it to be ECFMG certified on this date in order to match?

How important is it to have your Step 2 CK result by 1 Sept in order to match?

This is actually a difficult question to answer.

The importance of when ECFMG certification is completed varies from program to program. I've seen some programs list deadlines on their websites for when applicants must have this done and some don't even mention it. Some only list deadlines for when applicants should have Step 1, Step 2CK, and Step 2CS done.

I think it's far more important to just simply take the exam and have it passed by September 15th (which is the new date the applications will go out as of the 2012-2013 cycle; it changed from September 1st). Programs will have access to your USMLE scores and most will understand that if you've passed those Step exams, then it's just a matter of time before your ECFMG certificate is issued.

It will serve you well to have passing scores on all three of those exams by September 15th. But at the same time, you shouldn't rush yourself if you're not fully prepared. Taking the exam early and failing it is far more catastrophic than taking the exam in the fall and passing it. If you really want to have the result by September 15th, then you'd have to take the exam by Tuesday, August 21st. And who really knows... what if there is a delay in score reporting that week? It's impossible to answer 100%, but that is the most likely scenario.

Do you already have your medical diploma from your medical school? Some schools require Step 1, Step 2CK, and Step 2CS to be completed in order to graduate and some don't. It's very difficult to say when your certificate would be finished without knowing this. And if you go to a foreign school that doesn't often work with the ECFMG, then perhaps things could be delayed even longer.

I can tell you one thing, it usually takes 3-4 weeks to get the USMLE Step 2CK result from the day you take the exam, which is the 4th Wednesday after your exam date. But then you have to go through the remainder of the ECFMG certification process, which could take a few weeks, depending on if your school is waiting on your scores to release your diploma.

Maybe these websites can help you find more details on when exactly your ECFMG Certificate would be issued... I'm not sure anyone can answer that question without knowing further details of your situation. See if you can find that at one of these websites:

ECFMG Certificate Process
http://www.ecfmg.org/certification/how-the-certification-process-works.html

ECFMG Certificate Requirements
http://www.ecfmg.org/certification/requirements-for-certification.html

i believe eras opens sep 15 this year not sep 1 so you have 2 more weeks to play with. also the MSPE/dean's letter comes out oct 1 not nov 1 this year so i suspect some places will just review application then.

however i would recommend taking it no later than the end of july, and ideally no later than the end of june. this is because there are sometimes delays in reporting (usually 3-4 weeks to get results but sometimes can be months). it takes about 1-2weeks to get your ECFMG certificate after you have completed all your exams assuming you have graduated medical school and they have all your paperwork.

Does it say anywhere on the USMLE website that scores are typically released in 3-4 weeks?

In general, is it better to score in the 240s and have it by 15 Sept or to be 1 month late and get 250-260s, for example?

What do you think about 15 August? Good compromise or too unsafe?

I do want to add that when some programs state "ECFMG Certified", they really mean "ECFMG Verified", in the sense you have all your scores in, minus the certificate.

They know the certificate is only issued when one finishes all the required rotations when the school signs off on it saying the applicant has finished the requirements to graduate, which could be anytime before the start of residency.

So, you can take your CK as late as Jan and still have the scores in time for the "match", but you wont get your ECFMG certificate until 2-3 weeks after this. Also, I wouldn't recommend getting your scores in later than September because you tend to lose interviews.

Just to be clear, I intend to take my exam on the very last day possible that allows me to get my score on time for Sept 15th. Since I haven't graduated (and wont until March 2013), I wont be "ecfmg certified". Only requirement I miss that would give me the dam certificate is graduation from school.. so as soon as I finish my last rotation, I would be ECFMG certified.